Poll: Will the Lightning make the playoffs in 2014-2015?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tampa won't make the playoffs next year

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Tampa won't make the playoffs next year

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    yeah I guess you don't realize how valuable Karlsson is. Take out Hedman and Tampa doesn't make the playoffs this year.

This is a Norris trophy winner for Christ sakes, the straw that stirs the drink.

And regardless of my opinion on spezza, it was still getting a number one centre back who takes the pressure off other guys. With stamkos back, the young players might not work as hard as they did. That's what happened to the Sens.

- - - Updated - - -

28 people are only focusing on the present. I thought this poll would be closer.
    Yes, Karlsson is a Norris winner. A Norris winner that went -15 this year and was good for at least one gaffe a game that resulted in a puck ending up in his own net.....I know, because I am an owner and watched 80% of the Sens games this year. Those gaffes include a lot of embarrassing plays where he has coughed up puck right in front of his net or has just been insanely soft on the puck/bodies in his own end......plays that a bantam coach would bench a dman for. Yes, he won the Norris, but the Norris is no longer about who is actually the best defenceman in reality, it now just goes to whoever racks up the most points. Considering that Karlsson is more of a rover than an actual dman, I put zero stock the Norris trophy when it pertains to his value as a real life dman (not fantasy).

Karlsson is a supreme talent, hugely entertaining, and a fantasy hockey beast. That said, I do not think his style of play translates to wins as much as Stamkos and Hedman who both have much more well-rounded games. In a way, I view Karlsson the same way that I view Ovi: insane talent, entertaining, style does not translate to team success. The Sens made the playoffs and were a MUCH better defensive team without Karlsson for most of last season, I think that says something.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Yes, Karlsson is a Norris winner. A Norris winner that went -15 this year and was good for at least one gaffe a game that resulted in a puck ending up in his own net.....I know, because I am an owner and watched 80% of the Sens games this year. Those gaffes include a lot of embarrassing plays where he has coughed up puck right in front of his net or has just been insanely soft on the puck/bodies in his own end......plays that a bantam coach would bench a dman for. Yes, he won the Norris, but the Norris is no longer about who is actually the best defenceman in reality, it now just goes to whoever racks up the most points. Considering that Karlsson is more of a rover than an actual dman, I put zero stock the Norris trophy when it pertains to his value as a real life dman (not fantasy).

Karlsson is a supreme talent, hugely entertaining, and a fantasy hockey beast. That said, I do not think his style of play translates to wins as much as Stamkos and Hedman who both have much more well-rounded games. The Sens made the playoffs last year after losing Karlsson, I think that says something.
    bolts made playoffs without stamkos, does that mean stamkos isn't well rounded either?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    bolts made playoffs without stamkos, does that mean stamkos isn't well rounded either?
    C'mon man, are we just going to dissect semantics here? I am not just talking about situational cause and effect, I am talking about style of play. Karlsson cannot play defence, period.....this is a problem for the Sens. I don't see how anyone can watch them play and argue otherwise......as an owner, I hope Karlsson never changes. If I were a Sens fan however, he would drive me absolutely insane with the complete inability to take care of things in his own end for a defensive perspective. When your #1 dman is not really a true traditional dman, is extremely suspect in his own end, isn't physical, and yet plays half the game for your team, this is a major concern IMO.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Novice

The thread is about Tampa making / not making the playoffs. Probably need to start a new thread Stamkos / Lightning vs Karlsson / Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    C'mon man, are we just going to dissect semantics here? I am not just talking about situational cause and effect, I am talking about style of play. Karlsson cannot play defence, period.....this is a problem for the Sens. Hedman CAN play d, and dominate. Stamkos is a forward and still plays more D than Karlsson.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Evo_7ution View Post
    The thread is about Tampa making / not making the playoffs. Probably need to start a new thread Stamkos / Lightning vs Karlsson / Ottawa.
    Thanks for the tip, newbie. Who made you the forum police after a whopping 23 posts?

Banned

Regardless of whether or not TB makes the playoffs next year or not, they aregoing to be ridiculously good in a few years...

The Great One

You obviously didn't watch Karlsson play when he won the Norris.

He was a stud defensively. Rubbed forwards off the puck but mostly used his steak to break up plays and didn't hesitate to make a break out pass or break it out himself. He was a shadow of himself this year.

The Norris doesn't go to the defender with the most points like you said. If that were the case Karlsson would win it again this year. Green would have won it when he racked up 70+, etc.

Watch Karlsson vs Carolina here. It's just one game but this is how he played all season.

I really hope you watch that video. At least the first couple minutes if it's too long for you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Regardless of whether or not TB makes the playoffs next year or not, they aregoing to be ridiculously good in a few years...
    Like Edmonton?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Because that strategy of building around a group of young talented, inexperienced forwards worked out so well for Edmonton? I don't think having young, inexperienced forwards with decent upside necessarily equates to depth... as they demonstrated during these playoffs.
    Like Edmonton?
    Another forum member already has compared Tampa Bay to Edmonton.
    You guys can now join forces in your belief that the two clubs have similar paths.
    Perhaps form your own support club together!
    Two peas in a pod.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Like Edmonton?
    you are better than that Ev

you can't call people lazy for penciling in the same teams for the playoffs next season and then exhibit the same laziness by comparing all teams comprised of young players from high draft picks to the Oilers

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

The Great One

Bump of the day

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Since it's a year later... I want to apologize for how harsh some of my comments were towards others in this thread.
    (Not really happy it has been bumped. I could have been a lot more mature with my words. Perhaps it is not the right time to be back after all... some other day perhaps. ]

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I think I could start the same thread for about every other team in the East save for Boston and the odds would be in my favour.

I don't know if the lack of cohesion on the ice is a reflection of their play under normal circumstances, but they did not strike me as a particularly well-coached team.

They certainly need major help at the blueline. Brewer looks done. Gudas needs to go down to 12-15 minutes.
    This was my favorite post of the thread. Seems like NY/MTL/Tampa should have been your safeties, not Boston

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Since it's a year later... I want to apologize for how harsh some of my comments were towards others in this thread.
    (Not really happy it has been bumped. I could have been a lot more mature with my words. Perhaps it is not the right time to be back after all... some other day perhaps. ]
    Hey der Peng, we all say some over the top stuff sometimes. I'm probably worse for it than anyone! Hopefully we've all brushed it off by now, I wouldn't be too worried.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    LOL! I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I am sure most of the others who agreed with Ev in this thread a year ago aren't.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Curious. Does anyone still think the parallels between Edmonton and Tampa exist? I guess it's more legitimate now that they have their Stamkos haha