Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Most predictable NHL awards in recent memory

The Great One

Default Re: Most predictable NHL awards in recent memory

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    When you have a largely ill-informed and biased voting populace, nothing is guaranteed... nor particularly meaningful.
    I hear this every year, but in all honesty I can't say that any of the awards handed out in recent memory were completely appalling. I know people disagree with Karlsson and Subban for the Norris, but I watched them both play quite a bit and feel they both deserved their awards when they won them. Sure, I suppose you could argue that Suter deserved the award more than Subban last year, but I certainly don't think it was a travesty that Subban won. He was very, very good last year, on both ends of the ice.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ace

I'll agree with this from SeaDawg.

Karlsson may not have had the most impressive season defensively when he won...but he beat the next best blueliner by 25points, adding a completely new element to the Sens that year as he jumped to a new level. It was impressive. This year, his team has struggled, he's had a few extra struggles too,, and I think that's the biggest reason he's not in the mix. But few defensemen can change a game (for good or bad ) like he can.

Same with last year. I liked Suter for the award, but it wasn't a big deal when Subban won.

How about this year? Seems like Keith is the favourite. Well, I could argue that his offensive output is due, in part, to being the main offensive DMan on a Chicago team that leads the league in goals. And how much of his success is because he's got Brent Seabrook beside him 90% of the time? Plenty of negative arguments, if one wanted to make them. But I have no issue with Keith winning - particularly in a year where, to be honest, no single DMan has been leaps and bounds better than any other.

Dobber Sports Genius

I think the gap in the Calder race has closed considerably over the last 6 weeks or so with Palat and his numbers becoming at least arguably comparable to Big Mac's. I'd still give the edge to McKinnon but I think the race is not as one sided as it seemed a while back.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Ryan O'Reilly should get consideration for the Lady Bing. Only one minor penalty all year, and 63 pts.
    And, hilariously, that one minor was for playing the puck with a broken stick - and I think he even played it with his feet not stick - and to top it all off he didn't know his stick was broken til after. LOL.
    Yahoo 12 team H2H Keeper (Keep 7 vets; 3 prospects (Skater < 201 GP; Goalie < 101GP)

Categories: G, A, P, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW, Hits, Blocks, W, GAA, Sv% Saves

Start 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 8Bn

C: Crosby, RNH, Stepan, Faksa
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Jenner (c), Komarov (c, rw), Dano
    RW: Voracek (lw), Neal, Hornqvist, Silfverberg, Buchnevich (lw), Boeser
    D: Karlsson, Letang, Ellis, Muzzin, Slavin, Boychuk
    G: Price, Bernier, Grubauer, Pickard

Dobber Sports Veteran

I hear this every year, but in all honesty I can't say that any of the awards handed out in recent memory were completely appalling. I know people disagree with Karlsson and Subban for the Norris, but I watched them both play quite a bit and feel they both deserved their awards when they won them. Sure, I suppose you could argue that Suter deserved the award more than Subban last year, but I certainly don't think it was a travesty that Subban won. He was very, very good last year, on both ends of the ice.
    I have similar sentiments as you. Although I do question last year's choice. I'm a habs fan and love Subban, but he is rough around the edges with his defensive play. Last year was no exception. This isn't a knock on Subban; he's incredibly talented and he's young (and therefore not expected to not make mistakes), but he didn't deserve the Norris.

Dobber Sports Guru

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

I know everyone will pick Keith over Hedman for Norris, but I have no idea why...

Hedman has absolutely carried TB, and he does everything on that team.

He'd get my vote.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Seems to me like most of the main awards have clear winners this year.

Hart - Crosby
    Norris - Keith
    Vezina - Rask
    Calder - Mackinnon

Agree or disagree?
    Agree with three of four.
    I actually think that Ben Bishop will win the Vezina.
    I also believe that Ben Bishop deserves the Vezina.

Not taking anything away from Rask, who would be my #2a. (Varly at #2b).
    Slam dunk those three for the "candidates" announced.

Rask has been superb, 2.06 GAA, .929 SV%. 35 wins in 57 games (63% win rate)
    GoalieX has been superb, 2.07 GAA, .927 SV%, 17 wins in 26 games (65% win rate)

Anybody care to make a guess on who, GoalieX is???

Bishop's GAA of 2.23 might be a bit lower.
    His SV% of .924% might be a bit lower.
    And being injured for the final two weeks of the season won't help him.

But... I think most everybody had Boston pegged for top two finish in a very, very weak East.
    How many people had TB in their start-of-season predicted playoff group???
    We look at Hedman now and say "Oh, well TB is good, they have Hedman".
    And we also like to look at TB as a very-deep team, without (mind you!) giving Jon Cooper enough credit.

So which is it... people need to give TB credit somewhere?
    I'd say it starts with both Bishop (my pick for Vezina) and Cooper (my pick for Adams).

I think Bishop should be adjudged to be consider the "best at his position" this year.
    I'd vote for Bishop... taking nothing away from Rask or Varlamov.
    To pin-point one valuable stat this year, I really like Bishop's NHL 18th best SH SV% at .897.
    It doesn't seem like much, but those are the hardest saves to make and he's done much better than Rask's SH SV% at .871.... when Chad Johnson, same team, has posted up a .918.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

And this year, I actually get a vote (member of the PHWA). So you have my votes.

Believe it or not, Hedman would actually give Keith a run for his money if he didn't miss seven games. Think about it - he'd have 57 points and be plus-8 on a team that really needed his help to get into the playoffs (Chicago would make them with or without Keith). I don't think anyone is talking about Hedman

Great topic, Rep for you
    I think you should do a poll for each trophy and let the DOBBER NATION have a little input to help with the decision making. help us feel a little special.

My vote would be for Bishop for Vazina, as where would Tampa be without him. Love Rask - but he plays in Boston. (Pavelec may have put up the same numbers if he played in Boston - Wpg fan)
    If people got to see Jacob Trouba on a regular basis - he would get a ton of consideration.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

The Great One

Bishop's injuries (he had quite a few this year) will hurt his chances of winning the Vezina. It will be Rask for sure.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Agree with three of four.
    I actually think that Ben Bishop will win the Vezina.
    I also believe that Ben Bishop deserves the Vezina.

Not taking anything away from Rask, who would be my #2a. (Varly at #2b).
    Slam dunk those three for the "candidates" announced.

Rask has been superb, 2.06 GAA, .929 SV%. 35 wins in 57 games (63% win rate)
    GoalieX has been superb, 2.07 GAA, .927 SV%, 17 wins in 26 games (65% win rate)

Anybody care to make a guess on who, GoalieX is???

Bishop's GAA of 2.23 might be a bit lower.
    His SV% of .924% might be a bit lower.
    And being injured for the final two weeks of the season won't help him.

But... I think most everybody had Boston pegged for top two finish in a very, very weak East.
    How many people had TB in their start-of-season predicted playoff group???
    We look at Hedman now and say "Oh, well TB is good, they have Hedman".
    And we also like to look at TB as a very-deep team, without (mind you!) giving Jon Cooper enough credit.

So which is it... people need to give TB credit somewhere?
    I'd say it starts with both Bishop (my pick for Vezina) and Cooper (my pick for Adams).

I think Bishop should be adjudged to be consider the "best at his position" this year.
    I'd vote for Bishop... taking nothing away from Rask or Varlamov.
    To pin-point one valuable stat this year, I really like Bishop's NHL 18th best SH SV% at .897.
    It doesn't seem like much, but those are the hardest saves to make and he's done much better than Rask's SH SV% at .871.... when Chad Johnson, same team, has posted up a .918.
    You said we should judge a coach on the whole year, so we must judge Bishop on the whole year. His March/April has been bad

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    You said we should judge a coach on the whole year, so we must judge Bishop on the whole year. His March/April has been bad
    Oh... when I posted Bishop's GAA and SV%... did I only post his Oct-Feb numbers?
    Silly me... I always assume the numbers that I pull off websites are for the whole year.
    Those ESPN guys, are you saying their statistics are only for Oct-Feb???
    Let me go check...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Oh... when I posted Bishop's GAA and SV%... did I only post his Oct-Feb numbers?
    Silly me... I always assume the numbers that I pull off websites are for the whole year.
    Those ESPN guys, are you saying their statistics are only for Oct-Feb???
    Let me go check...
    Huh? Then what were you talking about in regards to Babcock? You said we must look at his entire year, no?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Huh? Then what were you talking about in regards to Babcock? You said we must look at his entire year, no?
    Yes, whole year... everybody.
    What are YOU talking about?
    When do I ever talk about anybody's partial year with regard to awards?

In my post above, do I ever mention anything about any goalie's "part" of a year. (aside from the perception point of Bishop's injury, which is NOT included in his "stats")
    ???
    ???
    You are going to lead the website in getting these in your replies:

The Great One

Big Ev is making a good point that Bishop really struggled in March and April, which will also hurt his chances.

One might think that Bishop deserves the Vezina, but I think the majority feel it will be Rask. When I posted at the outset that these awards are the most predictable in recent memory, I don't necessarily mean that no one else is deserving of consideration (Palat for Calder, Hedman for Norris, Bishop for Vezina), but imo there are clear leaders in all those categories and I'd be surprised if the voting results went any other way.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap