Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Book Spoilers!)

I'm 100% with Steve on this. Never had an issue going movie to book. Always hate going book to movie. The Omission of Tom Bombadil is the purest example of this.

Anyways, I think GoT is pretty easy to follow along as long as you make a point to sit down and immerse yourself in the episodes. It becomes much harder if you're trying to multitask and do other things while you watch. I fully understood. The extend of the feud Dorn had towards Tywin/Lannisters/Westeros.

Dobber Sports Genius

Interesting points on the books vs series first, I'm dying to read the books but I love watching the series without knowing what the outcome will be. It's true too though that having read LOTR prior to the movies certainly didn't take away from the experience for me so maybe reading them would be ok... Although the second point about never being disappointed watching a show and then reading a book vs being disappointed reading the book and then watching the show has certainly happened to me in the past.. Apparently I'm indecisive, or maybe not ><
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Exactly. Always more eloquent then me Steve. Regardless, the drama queens had the gall and audacity to neg repping me on calling them out for their spoilers. As soon as you know something is coming, instead of just watching the show and enjoying it you're just waiting for the "big thing happening soon". Completely thrown off. Absolutely uncalled for the whole thread and title was based off no reference of any kind to the book.

Seriously guys, resorting to the rep system for that? That is childish as hell. And yea I neg repped back, but probably wouldn't have if you had the stones to post your name with it (Ahem...not at all surprised that you didn't).
    So, rataylor22, now that Dobber has made it so that people can see the names of the posters who gave you rep, you will be able to see that it wasn't me who negative repped you in the first place. Now, it's not the negative rep that you gave me that bothers me; honestly, I have received more than enough positive rep from several posters because of this instance that easily make up for the 25 negative points I received from you. What really bothers me, is the false accusation. Now that you can see that I was right, let's see what kind of a man you are. This is the perfect opportunity for you to come here and apologize. Do you have "the stones"?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    The Dan Brown books turned to flicks are exhibit A of why I refuse to go from text to screen. LOTR worked for me because I read the books as a child and had a long wait until watching the flicks.
    The film version of High Fidelity is just as excellent as the book.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    So, rataylor22, now that Dobber has made it so that people can see the names of the posters who gave you rep, you will be able to see that it wasn't me who negative repped you in the first place. Now, it's not the negative rep that you gave me that bothers me; honestly, I have received more than enough positive rep from several posters because of this instance that easily make up for the 25 negative points I received from you. What really bothers me, is the false accusation. Now that you can see that I was right, let's see what kind of a man you are. This is the perfect opportunity for you to come here and apologize. Do you have "the stones"?

Rylant
    I negrepped him. I don't know if I was the only one, but just like the point I was trying to make in your thread about attaching names to rep, I don't give two flying ****s about the points. I use it as a communication tool. Telling him "jeez, lighten the **** up" in this thread would be overkill, I thought, so a small private nudge seemed more appropriate. Didn't expect him to go nuclear about the whole thing.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Haha I love it when false accusations blow up in someone's face. Funny how he just re-engaged in the thread as if nothing happened. An apology would be classy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Rylant
    Of course I apologize Ryalnt. Made an assumption based on the style of the message attached to the rep along with the message you posted in the thread. My mistake Rylant. I've added positive rep back, which makes me about a net even. I'll make sure to find a new thread to boost that into the positives, where it should be. Sorry bud.

Edit: Seemingly cant give you rep at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind and make sure I do it when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Haha I love it when false accusations blow up in someone's face. Funny how he just re-engaged in the thread as if nothing happened. An apology would be classy.
    Well the only other options would have been not make any more posts in the thread, or continue to de-rail it. Would either of those have been better options? I mean come on. Really dude?

Dobber Sports Star

Of course I apologize Ryalnt. Made an assumption based on the style of the message attached to the rep along with the message you posted in the thread. My mistake Rylant. I've added positive rep back, which makes me about a net even. I'll make sure to find a new thread to boost that into the positives, where it should be. Sorry bud.

Edit: Seemingly cant give you rep at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind and make sure I do it when I can.
    Thanks, rataylor22. I know that it can sometimes be hard to admit that you are wrong. It takes a big man to do it. I appreciate it.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

This show is based on a book?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    Interesting points on the books vs series first, I'm dying to read the books but I love watching the series without knowing what the outcome will be. It's true too though that having read LOTR prior to the movies certainly didn't take away from the experience for me so maybe reading them would be ok... Although the second point about never being disappointed watching a show and then reading a book vs being disappointed reading the book and then watching the show has certainly happened to me in the past.. Apparently I'm indecisive, or maybe not ><
    I watched the first three seasons of Game of Thrones on TV (using Netflix) and then watched Episode 1 of Season 4 (as you can see by the posts in this thread).
    I had a few conversations with my mom who said "Oh, I've heard from the dual book readers & TV watchers that there is a lot missed in the shows".
    I asked her what she meant, because I had assumed that the TV show would capture everything important.

But - to those of you that are TV watchers and are *considering* reading the books, I'll say this:
    After season 4, since you are already into it... go out, find the books, start reading them.

Almost every passionate reader of this series believes it is a CLASSIC.
    And... almost every passionate reader of this series has done... or is doing... a "re-read".

The books are THAT good.
    And the books are better because you do them at your pace... and it's important to stop & think about characters, events, and timelines.

The TV show comes at you at "it's pace".
    The story writer, George RR Martin (GRRM), has really worked this book (I'm in Book2 currently: Clash of Kings) with characters, lineages, and timelines deeper than anything anybody has ever read.
    Sure... there are great fantasy novels, great movies, great shows, great stories... but none like this.

GRRM, from what I've read/watched thus far, is... nearly PERFECT.
    It is that good.

And for me - one of my favourite, favourite things about stories is when somebody has crafted one so well... you might be able to predict an ending. (might!)
    GRRM gives us hints to help us there.

But his is where the book vs. TV show separate.
    TV Shows: IF... all you need is the pure entertainment of the story going forward from Day1 (Starks in Winterfell)... then the TV show is all you need.
    Books: IF... you would really like to understand WHY things play out the way they do... you have to go back into history... because the only way to have a true understanding of modern day events is... to know your history. (And this is why History is tought in school).

The TV show is a 10/10, as TV shows go.
    The Books are a 10/10, as Books go.

But as all stories... in all formats go... the books are a 100/100... the TV shows are a 70/100.
    There is history, family lineage, timelines all covered in the books through characters dreams and thoughts.
    Dreams and thoughts can't be well passed to a screen, because physical actors & actresses would be required to portray this...

In short,
    If anybody really, really, really loves the story in the TV show... and loves to theorize... I'd highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend going to the books.
    If you've seen the TV show, consider the books your 1st "re-read" - and you will fall in love with the depth of information.

If you guys like reading, even just a little... and haven't read them already... get into the books after this season.
    You will be glad you did.

Personally, I've stopped watching the shows (after Season 3).
    I'm going to do the entire series to this point, 5 books, and then watch Season 4.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I just ran into Tyrion downtown in Toronto. He was walking around by himself on crutches... not sure if he usually does that or if he got injured.

He was absolutely SWARMED by the ladies. Sucks being born a midget, but at least he's getting some perks

Like....Peter Dinklage or just a random short dude?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Like....Peter Dinklage or just a random short dude?
    Peter Dinklage. I was embarrassed because I didn't know his real name so I just said "Hey man, I'm a big fan" haha

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I just ran into Tyrion downtown in Toronto. He was walking around by himself on crutches... not sure if he usually does that or if he got injured.

He was absolutely SWARMED by the ladies. Sucks being born a midget, but at least he's getting some perks
    Whereabouts? I know they have the GOT exhibition going on in the TIFF building. I may scope the area out LOL
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot