Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Book Spoilers!)

Wow - ok when can we talk about this? I don't want to be spoiler guy.

Dobber Sports Star

I think it's safe to talk about the current episodes after they air, no? It was a pretty awesome episode.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think we're way beyond the book spoiler phase... by now it should be fair game to discuss the show after the episode airs.

Dobber Sports Icon

Brienne vs Arya was awesome.

"Who taught you how to do that?"
    "No-one"

Mic drop.

Dobber Sports Master

Huge episode. Its so entertaining. I thought that was it for Jamie. Littlefinger is dodgy af. I dont know what he is scheming but he is definitely scheming something. You guys think that Jon bended the knee? Didn't show it. I hope that he didn't. Its all building into something special. I'll be sad when it has ended.

PD, I Lol'd when Arya said that. Great quote.

I agree with the other regarding the spoilers. I wont be watching a low quality leak of the show. No one should be talking about an episode if it has been released yet. If its already played on tv, then go for it. So thanks to the lads who watched the leak but didn't post spoilers.

Dobber Sports Master

started chipping away at it last night - got to the scene where john is walking up to the castle and the dragons freaked him out .

how the hell did melisandre get there by herself

Dobber Sports Star

It was a really good episode. I truly thought that Bronn or Jaime was going to bite it as we approached the end of the episode. It will be interesting to see how either of them get away next episode, although Jaime could be in some serious trouble, in a body of water while wearing a full suit of armour (I do doubt that his death in the show will be by drowning, however).

In historical times, calvary had a huge advantage over infantry. There are always some defenses against calvary like long spears and linking tower shields, however the calvalry units almost always had the huge advantage. I guess the Dothraki don't fight like standard calvalry units, but I still think that being mounted gives them an enormous edge. Add a full grown Drogon on their side, and Jaime and his army are in trouble.

The Sansa/Arya reunion was touching. The Arya/Brienne sparring scene was fun, although it does generate my one minor quibble about the episode. That quibble is, obviously Brienne wasn't taking Arya very seriously when they started their sparring, however, once we got into it a bit, Brienne realized that Arya had some fighting skill. Keep in mind that they are both using real swords and at that point, any death blow dealt by Arya is held back by Arya so she doesn't kill Brienne. However, Brienne starts swinging huge and Arya is forced to dodge the blows. Yes, Brienne now knows that Arya has some talent fighting, however, Brienne is also smart enough to know, that Arya probably can't full on parry or deflect her blows with the tiny sword she is using, and if Arya is NOT good enough to dodge the swings, well, Brienne would have cleaved her in half and killed her. I understand that they want to dramatically display how good Arya has become, but to NOT take that into consideration seems silly when you think about it.

I found myself hoping for a Tyrion/Jaime reunion, especially now that Jaime knows that Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey. Maybe we will get it next episode. It also brings me to an interesting point, and something I really like about Martin's creation. We care about characters on both sides of this war and I am not sure how common that is with other shows. I know we see a bit of that kind of thing with The Wire or The Shield, but most of the time, it is hard to get audiences to pull for protagonists on both sides of the conflict. It's one of the things that makes this world so brilliant.

I still don't think that Dany is convinced about the army of undead, even with the caveman paintings. I think she will at some point, want to see it for herself. That probably means that they will either head off to see the army, or she will send a group of people to go capture one of them to bring back to her. Or, we are on the verge of the Night King and his army actually showing up, which would convince her (I don't see this happening yet).

Overall, a really good episode; I think hands down the best episode of the season so far. Interesting to see where it goes from here. We haven't had a boatload of deaths of major characters yet like I assumed we would have by now, but I do have a feeling we will see that soon. Looking forward to the rest of this season and it is still the best show on television.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Brienne vs Arya was awesome.

"Who taught you how to do that?"
    "No-one"

Mic drop.
    Yeah! That was great. I wonder if Littlefinger could hear what was said. His father his bravoosi.

I also loved his face when Bran told him that "Chaos is a ladder". He said that in private to Varys. How in the 7 gods can Bran know about that?
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Pro

My oh my. What a great episode. Although I've spent the majority of today mourning the eventual death of Drogon.... there's no way Cersei didn't poison those arrows. Maybe dragonblood is immune? One can only hope.

Dany should've known that with the Dothraki mucking it up in the corners and wreaking havoc in front she just needed a bottom-six dragon to play the point and display the big shot to keep the d honest. Wasn't entirely necessary to risk her top scorer like that... save him for the playoffs if you ask me.

Dobber Sports Stud

Glad they made the dragons vulnerable. I still believe that power is getting to khalesi. Emo Bran is a bit much, its like he went to too many Phish concerts while traveling up "North".

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah, I don't see why they couldn't have kept Bran as he was before and still be the three eyed Raven. The new Robot-Bran is horrible...

It'll be disappointing to see Jaime survive the last episode... I really felt like someone of consequence should have died, otherwise Dany's attack serves no practical purpose in advancing the storyline other than making her presence felt.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Obviously the battle scene was set up that way for a reason, but Dany easily could have had her Dothraki attack from the front while she looped around the side and wiped out the entire army in 1 to 2 passes. Then getting in a Mexican standoff with your most prized possession is just asinine.

Considering our limited knowledge of the dragons in this show, it's tough to say. But in most fantasy realms dragons are usually immune to poison. I haven't read the books so I don't know if that holds up here

Dobber Sports Star

Drogon might die by the end of the series, but if they are going to kill him, I think they will want him to go up in an epic send off; I don't think poison qualifies.

I also agree that somebody of consequence really needs to die here. Although Jaime is in trouble due to him being in armor and in a body of water, I can't see him dying by drowning. If the only significant death in this is Sam's father, I will also be disappointed.

I also agree that her method of attack could have been smarter, but I think that she could legitimately feel overconfident here and probably doesn't feel much of a threat towards Drogon in their first war encounter. If she did attack from the rear, no doubt she would have been able to cause more damage, but the scorpion looked to be fairly mobile? They could have moved it to where Drogon was attacking. It also seems silly to me, that Bronn missed with the first Bolt, but Drogon insisted on going in for a second pass. Why not get the land army to disable it while Drogon stays away from it if they thought it was any kind of serious threat to him?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

I'm pretty disappointed with the season so far. The series used to be above fabricating tension by creating dangerous scenarios only to have the stars jump out of harms way at the very last second. It's so cheap and predictable, and one of the things I used to love about this show is that it didn't seem interested in those cheap tricks.

For what it's worth, my prediction is that Daenerys will capture Jaime to use as a negotiating chip with Cersei, and of course Cersei will cement her role as a heartless monster by letting her keep/kill him.

As others have said, the pacing has also been ridiculous and annoying, with a bunch of contrived dialogue and apparent teleportation, but they seem to have strayed in other ways as well. The little bedpan scene for example just felt so out of place. Not because it was gross or anything like that, but because it felt like a goofy comedic-relief montage from a romantic comedy. Another example is where the Jorah skin-peeling scene cuts to a fork going into pie. I don't remember any other cutesy scene transitions like this in the series, and I don't think they belong.

And don't even get me started on that ****ing Ed Sheeran cameo...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Drogon won't die... he's too crucial to the end-story, and you can't have the mother of dragons riding anything less than the baddest dragon on the planet just like Aegon with Balerion

What I like about Drogon being wounded is that it brings some sense of balance in terms of military power between the armies... even if illusory. Wouldn't be much of a conquest if she just burnt all her enemies without breaking a sweat

So... how much longer before Jon and Dany get it on Targaryen-style like Aegon and his sisters? Looking forward to that scene!