Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Book Spoilers!)

LMGTFY: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/White_Walkers

The White Walkers are thousands of years old, from the time preceding the Age of Heroes. Born of powerful and untested magic, they were created to protect the Children of the Forest from the First Men, who had waged war on them ever since they had arrived from Essos. However, the White Walkers eventually broke free of the Children's control and became the most feared creatures in Westeros, posing a threat to anything living.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Pro

D&D the show runners abandoned GRRM's shades of grey world a long time ago in favor of a more black and white, cliche fantasy story, most characters in the show are now either good or evil, with a few exceptions.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ninja

The "shades of grey" conflicted characters works well in book format where you have the luxury of describing such internal complexities in great detail, but doesn't translate well to mainstream television where time and attention spans are limited.

Dobber Sports Expert

The biggest issue with time traveling is not that we are gonna miss Jon going on boats. It's that the show seems to be skipping weeks of time within scenes/episode. I think that's why it bugs me. Not big enough of an issue not to enjoy this season.

The thing that I really don't get is how much THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT JON BEING DEAD/RESURRECTED. It's a freaking big deal. I don't recall him ever talking about it about Sansa other than saying "I gave my life to the Night Watch" which is a bit of an undersell.

Daenerys has Varys by her side. How wasn't there a freaking raven sent somewhere about Jon being dead/resurrected. How does no one knows about it....
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Master

Yes, that scene where Daenerys is being introduced to Jon. Then Jon's guy says, this is Jon Snow. He should have added... " he only came back from the ****ing dead!!".

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    The biggest issue with time traveling is not that we are gonna miss Jon going on boats. It's that the show seems to be skipping weeks of time within scenes/episode. I think that's why it bugs me. Not big enough of an issue not to enjoy this season.

For me, I am pretty aware of Westeros Geography, so it doesn't create a lot of issues to me. When Euron and his fleet teleport from King's Landing to Casterly Rock, I just roll my eyes and continue on with it. However, I know a lot of people who are confused on a fairly regular basis with the show. There are so many characters and when they do things like this, it makes it harder for them to follow along well, which causes disinterest, and it is a shame.

A friend of mine had a brilliant idea when the show began, when it was all still new and fairly confusing for most everyone, with the number of characters involved. He suggested that they actually use the map which they use in the opening credits to show which part of the world they were going to when they switch scenes. You would just need a couple of seconds to show the map and scroll up from where you were, shift the map to where you were going, and scroll back in, then continue the new scene. I thought it was a great idea and would actually use the map that they have obviously spent a lot of time and money creating. He even went so far as to sending in the creators of the show the idea, but it was ignored :-)

Rylant

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Yes, that scene where Daenerys is being introduced to Jon. Then Jon's guy says, this is Jon Snow. He should have added... " he only came back from the ****ing dead!!".
    Ser Davos did say, he took a "knife in the heart for his people" and was going to continue but Jon gave him a look to stop. I think Jon realized that it is going to be hard enough to convince Daenerys of the real issue that White Walkers exist so he didn't want to waste time explaining that he's come back from the dead.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    For me, I am pretty aware of Westeros Geography, so it doesn't create a lot of issues to me. When Euron and his fleet teleport from King's Landing to Casterly Rock, I just roll my eyes and continue on with it. However, I know a lot of people who are confused on a fairly regular basis with the show. There are so many characters and when they do things like this, it makes it harder for them to follow along well, which causes disinterest, and it is a shame.

A friend of mine had a brilliant idea when the show began, when it was all still new and fairly confusing for most everyone, with the number of characters involved. He suggested that they actually use the map which they use in the opening credits to show which part of the world they were going to when they switch scenes. You would just need a couple of seconds to show the map and scroll up from where you were, shift the map to where you were going, and scroll back in, then continue the new scene. I thought it was a great idea and would actually use the map that they have obviously spent a lot of time and money creating. He even went so far as to sending in the creators of the show the idea, but it was ignored :-)

Rylant

That would have been pretty cool and helpful for some. I get that people don't actually watch the opening credits every week but they do lay it out right there for you. That's why I've always loved them. But ya...in hindsight maybe doing that every episode could have helped....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    The thing that I really don't get is how much THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT JON BEING DEAD/RESURRECTED. It's a freaking big deal. I don't recall him ever talking about it about Sansa other than saying "I gave my life to the Night Watch" which is a bit of an undersell.

Daenerys has Varys by her side. How wasn't there a freaking raven sent somewhere about Jon being dead/resurrected. How does no one knows about it....
    Having to convince Dany and co. about army of the dead is one thing, trying to explain that would be mind blowing where they might not believe either. Dany and Tyrion did catch what Davos said before being cutoff by Jon so I'm sure it will be brought up next episode.

One of the reasons it may not be known is that there hasn't been a maester at the wall since Aemon left. Maybe one of the reasons Bran's arrival was a surprise at Winterfell. There is a guy tending to the ravens but not sure if he can read or write. If there is no one to tell the story its not going to be known. Same can be said for Beric.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    Having to convince Dany and co. about army of the dead is one thing, trying to explain that would be mind blowing where they might not believe either. Dany and Tyrion did catch what Davos said before being cutoff by Jon so I'm sure it will be brought up next episode.

One of the reasons it may not be known is that there hasn't been a maester at the wall since Aemon left. Maybe one of the reasons Bran's arrival was a surprise at Winterfell. There is a guy tending to the ravens but not sure if he can read or write. If there is no one to tell the story its not going to be known. Same can be said for Beric.
    I kinda like that they've kept Beric around in the show. At first I didn't think he'd be in the show at all...and then once they brought him...I thought for surrrrrrrrrrre we're going to get Lady Stoneheart. But now that that isn't happening.....bring on the flaming sword.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I kinda like that they've kept Beric around in the show. At first I didn't think he'd be in the show at all...and then once they brought him...I thought for surrrrrrrrrrre we're going to get Lady Stoneheart. But now that that isn't happening.....bring on the flaming sword.
    I'm glad they kept him around as well. Besides, Arya has basically taken over the Lady Stoneheart arc anyway and I'm quite ok with that!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Episode 4 leaked........quality is 7/10

Episode might be 10/10

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Episode 4 leaked........quality is 7/10

Episode might be 10/10
    Holy sh*t.
    I couldn't care less that it was only in 360p. That sh*t was dope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to re-watch it in HD on Sunday.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Icon

Should we add No TV Spoilers to the title of this forum?

The last thing I need to do is to read about an upcoming episode while discussing what's already happened on the show.

Dobber Sports Sage

Yeah that leaked episode was insane. Looking forward to watching it again on Sunday.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko