Thread: TSN and Media buzz

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default TSN and Media buzz

So here\'s my theory,
    With TSN\'s growing coverage around the NHL draft and prospects it is in their best interest to hype the number #1 pick as a franchise talent and in this years draft push it as one of the strongest drafts since 04 or whatever. The more hype promotion they do of the draft eligible players the more viewers/site visitors they get. So as the fantasy buzz grows from year to year the projections and overhyping of young players will continue to grow.

The half hour special on TSN during the draft lottery where they had Stamkos live being interviewed is a great example. Things like that build his status and project him as an elite NHL\'er when he has plenty of developing to do.

Anyways, just something I\'ve been milling over when trying to compare this draft with years previous years talent etc.
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

this is the strongest draft since \'03 I think. Regardless of the hype (although I agree TSN has recognized the draft is pretty good TV).
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Initiate

I agree that this is the strongest draft for a while. My point was more that due to the growing marketability of their prospect draft coverage it is now in TSN\'s best interest to promote the future prospects as highly as they possibly can. A lot of the fantasy world feeds off of TSN\'s feeds and articles so it can have an effect. Not neccessarily a huge factor this year but it does seem to be growing each year in buzz/hype.
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Master

pudge wrote:
    I agree that this is the strongest draft for a while. My point was more that due to the growing marketability of their prospect draft coverage it is now in TSN\'s best interest to promote the future prospects as highly as they possibly can. A lot of the fantasy world feeds off of TSN\'s feeds and articles so it can have an effect. Not neccessarily a huge factor this year but it does seem to be growing each year in buzz/hype.
    i\'m a fantasy hockey whore... i\'ll take any info i can get
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Sage

Crazynuck wrote:
    pudge wrote:
    i\'m a fantasy hockey whore... i\'ll take any info i can get
    Is that you bringing the fishy smell around here crazy?
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Compare the media attention of the draft to the Brunnstrom affair.

I know that I\'ll be listening to Dobberhockey instead while my fellow fantasy managers will go crazy to take over Brunnstrom, Schenn, Boychuk and Del Zotto.
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Veteran

I like your theory Pudge. In my opinion all the 2008 draftees value is sky high now, and in their rookie season. In times other then that you will get a more realistic view of their value.

All those comparisons to NHL stars get thrown out there by the media and fantasy owners start doing crazy things.