Thread: Final Match-up Goalie Strategy

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Final Match-up Goalie Strategy

Final match-up, on a quest to repeat. Team and league in sig. Here's how it looks:

--- G --- A --- +/- --- PPP --PIM---SHP--SOG--HIT--BLK----W -- GAA -- SV% ---- SV --- SO

ME: 5 --- 11 --- -4 --- 6 --- 14 --- 1 --- 75 --- 46 --- 19 --- 2 --- 1.59 --- .941 --- 128 --- 1

HIM: 4 --- 3 --- 0 --- 2 ---- 16 --- 0 --- 39 --- 52 --- 22 --- 3 --- 2.60 --- .910 --- 131 --- 0

My opponent has Fleury, Khudobin, and Pavelec. I own the tie-breaker, and currently lead this match-up 8-6. I am thinking of benching my goalies for the rest of the week and conceding wins and saves, to secure sv%, GAA and (hopefully) SO. I have the luxury of having Quick in the late game Saturday against Vancouver, so I can roll him out there if I really need to, or if his goalies have tough days, putting GAA and sv% out of reach, making it a safe play. Is this the right play? Huge implications (a title!) so need to get this right.

I need 7 cats to win, and I have to luxury of have a SO and a SHP already this week. That means, A, SOG, SHP, GAA, SV%, SO are all relative locks barring any miracles. PPP is most likely mine. He doesn't really have any cats locked up, with G, +/-, hits and Blk all being relatively close, and all could go either way.

Would love some thoughts on my strategy and if sitting my goalies out is the right move.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Final Match-up Goalie Strategy

Your right, you have Quick on the late game Sat, you can see how his goalie starts go and make your decision. You could also tie the W categories if thing fall the right way for you. Looks like a good battle, as you know they are probably making moves to go for win.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Your right, you have Quick on the late game Sat, you can see how his goalie starts go and make your decision. You could also tie the W categories if thing fall the right way for you. Looks like a good battle, as you know they are probably making moves to go for win.
    Thanks, +rep! MY opponent has one move left for the week, and will either grab a skater or a goalie for Sunday with that move. Man-games wise, it's pretty much even from here on out, I've got an extra skater playing on sunday. The repeat is so close I can taste it...... wish me luck!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Looks like Philly is going with Emery against Boston on Saturday.....they are totally preserving Mason's confidence for the playoffs. Great news for me, as he'll get the start on Sunday vs. Buffalo if I need him.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I wouldn't full out bench your players.
    1 SHP & 1 SHO usually get the job done there, but if for some miracle he pulls out one each of his own, you may need to react.

A 1.00GAA lead is pretty safe lead late in the week... as is .030 SV%.
    If you still have those on Saturday night, you may want to start Quick to keep W & SV close.

Having Mason as a Sunday start will only do you good if a W or SV by Mason help you reel in a category.
    In other words, you have to stay "close enough" where the Mason-option is helpful to you.

Zac Rinaldo should be good for a boatload of PIM/Hits on Saturday or Sunday - so if you have a guy to sacrifice... he might be worth rostering.
    Depending on if this is a partial or full keeper - you might need to consider letting McDonagh go to chase a championship.

I have NO problem letting a mid-tier keeper go if I think I've got a shot at a championship.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I wouldn't full out bench your players.
    1 SHP & 1 SHO usually get the job done there, but if for some miracle he pulls out one each of his own, you may need to react.

A 1.00GAA lead is pretty safe lead late in the week... as is .030 SV%.
    If you still have those on Saturday night, you may want to start Quick to keep W & SV close.

Having Mason as a Sunday start will only do you good if a W or SV by Mason help you reel in a category.
    In other words, you have to stay "close enough" where the Mason-option is helpful to you.

Zac Rinaldo should be good for a boatload of PIM/Hits on Saturday or Sunday - so if you have a guy to sacrifice... he might be worth rostering.
    Depending on if this is a partial or full keeper - you might need to consider letting McDonagh go to chase a championship.

I have NO problem letting a mid-tier keeper go if I think I've got a shot at a championship.
    Thanks Pengwin! We are a Yahoo league that as IR+, so McD is now stashed there as I grabbed Beauchemin for today and Sunday's game for a boost in bs, hits, and maybe a few PIM. Otherwise, I fully on letting mid-tier keepers go to secure a title......I already dropped Semin earlier this week. I agree with not blindly benching my goalies either, I'm going to wait and see how his starters do on Saturday before rolling out Quick and/or Mason on Sunday.

Do you agree that benching Lundy on Sat and waiting to see what happens with his goalie starts is the best move? I actually don't have a ton of saves for it being this late in the week (some low volume games for my guys), so one 4+ goal game from one of my goalies could be enough to tip that cat his way if his goalies keep playing well. I'd much rather play it safe and make my opponent hit with a shutout or SHP then be too aggressive and cost myself a goalie cat.