Thread: Would you start Reimer or MacIntyre tonight?

I...am your father.

Default Would you start Reimer or MacIntyre tonight?

Everyone here knows I'm not a hater. I'm not down on Reimer. I think of this as a poorly-timed slump. As I've said before, Reimer is at his best when his job is on the line. And lately it has not been on the line. What I mean is - with no Bernier on the bench, Reimer knows he gets the start. He starts next game no matter how bad he is this game.

On one hand, maybe that means that he should play tonight. Because, after all, if he loses this one, he's not starting the next one regardless. So maybe that could be interpreted as "job on the line".

I like Reimer and don't blame him. But I think MacIntyre should start. Here is why:

1. Keep him on a short leash. If Reimer jumps in mid-game, he'll be fine because he hasn't spent all day psyching himself out.
    2. MacIntyre may be a career AHL goalie, but he's not a guaranteed loss. In fact, he's stopped 50 of 54 NHL shots in his career. That's not to show how good he is (tiny sample size), it's just to point out that he's not going let in six goals if he faces 40 shots.
    3. If MacIntyre wins or keeps it close, Reimer gets the rest. A break. Recharge. They may need him for another week yet...so recharging the batteries ups the odds of winning future games. The Leafs need to win six of last nine. If they lose tonight it becomes six of last eight...but they'd have a better chance of winning six if Reimer stepped back for a night
    4. Toronto is in tough to win regardless, even if they were on a five-game winning streak. It's St.Louis. So if Reimer's odds of winning were 40% anyway, and MacIntyre's odds are 30%...is that really such a huge difference that you ignore the first three points above?

If Bernier is ready to go...I would make damn sure he's 100%. I wouldn't play him 99% - you don't mess with groins and goalies
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Would you start Reimer or MacIntyre tonight?

I agree and would go with MacIntyre as I just don't think Reimer has the confidence right now to give the Leafs the best opportunity to win.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Pro

actually it looks like it might be Bernier tonight:

from Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun:
    Bernier first goalie to leave the ice...

Administrator

Bernier is in tonight. I agree that MacIntyre would have been the correct alternative though, but more for team psychology than anything else.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Bernier first off to see the doc.

I kid I kid. (I hope ).

Welcome back Bernier. And thank you Reimer for reducing your market value to "give away" status.

Dobber Sports Pro

or maybe not?

from Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun:
    Carlyle says he hasn't got green light yet from medical staff on Bernier. If he does get it today, then he'll decide...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

It'll be interesting to see how the Leafs respond.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by v105memorial View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how the Leafs respond.
    Before the game was half over, it was 3-1 St. Louis and the shots were 31-12. Yikes!

Blues seem to be letting up a little as the shots are now 36-14 but the score is now 4-1.

Looks like Reimer may go in the 3rd period.

I think this has to be the worst possible outcome for the Leafs

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by toddmackay View Post
    Before the game was half over, it was 3-1 St. Louis and the shots were 31-12. Yikes!

Blues seem to be letting up a little as the shots are now 36-14 but the score is now 4-1.

Looks like Reimer may go in the 3rd period.

I think this has to be the worst possible outcome for the Leafs
    I honestly don't know how they blame the goalie on a team that gives up that many shots.

Fun fact:
    Back in 2005 they gave out powerplay opportunities like candy... every team had at least 400 powerplay chances whereas this year it is unlikely that any team will break 300 opportunities. Even in that rampant streak of powerplays the worst team (WSH) only gave up 35.1 shots/game. The Leafs are currently at 36 shots/game.

Yep, the Leafs are on pace for the most shots against since the 2004 lock-out. Must be a goal-tending problem that has them on the cusp of the playoffs.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril