Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Draft - what's after the top 5?

Administrator

Default Re: 2014 Draft - what's after the top 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    You take the best player but if you rank two guys the same you should take the d.
    That's fair enough. D tend to be more impactful because they play more minutes though I do think that if you have a forward that you are very certain projects to be a center then you could argue to take him over a similarly graded D because they are almost as important and are more likely to play sooner.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I have little doubt that Ekblad will be their choice should he be available to them when their pick comes around, but I wish they would get that big body down the middle. It seems no one wants to trade a big center any more then they want to trade that franchise Dman either. Both are hard finds, either in trade or FA.
    What big-bodied centre are you referring to? I wouldn't consider Reinhart or Bennett to be "big-bodied"

Administrator

The problem is, who we think is the best player and who Stu MacGregor thinks is the best player is sometimes two different things.

I totally agree that Ekblad is going to be a horse but I still think their biggest need is down the middle, more so then on the back end. Ya ya, I know, their D is weak but at least they have help coming down the pipe to help there. What they seriously lack is a that big bodied center. You can say they can draft one of them next year, but last year they drafted what they felt was their anchor in Nurse.

I have little doubt that Ekblad will be their choice should he be available to them when their pick comes around, but I wish they would get that big body down the middle. It seems no one wants to trade a big center any more then they want to trade that franchise Dman either. Both are hard finds, either in trade or FA.
    The crappy to the Oilers' rebuild is that by tearing things down to the bedrock they had little chance of succeeding right away and of course they didn't but they've actually done a solid job with their draft/development of defensemen. It's just taken forever. We are starting to see guys like Marincin, Klefbom arrive and there will be other contributors on the way.

I don't think you ever draft for "need" in the NHL. Take the best player, you'll find room for them. If you can't then you have trade equity. But watch some team move up and drop Edmonton back to third so they miss out on Ekblad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Who was? Trouba? Murray? I think it's too early to tell.
    it it is too early. I haven't been impressed with either forward though. Galchenyuk is way too overhyped for me personallly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    The crappy to the Oilers' rebuild is that by tearing things down to the bedrock they had little chance of succeeding right away and of course they didn't but they've actually done a solid job with their draft/development of defensemen. It's just taken forever. We are starting to see guys like Marincin, Klefbom arrive and there will be other contributors on the way.

I don't think you ever draft for "need" in the NHL. Take the best player, you'll find room for them. If you can't then you have trade equity. But watch some team move up and drop Edmonton back to third so they miss out on Ekblad.
    If buffalo has the first pick then I doubt they pass on ekblad so it's probably a moot point.

Dobber Sports Pro

it it is too early. I haven't been impressed with either forward though. Galchenyuk is way too overhyped for me personally.
    It was Jankowski. Just ask Feaster.

Administrator

it it is too early. I haven't been impressed with either forward though. Galchenyuk is way too overhyped for me personallly.
    I want to see him play up the middle where I think he'd have more impact on the game.

If buffalo has the first pick then I doubt they pass on ekblad so it's probably a moot point.
    It's what the smart team would do.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    What big-bodied centre are you referring to? I wouldn't consider Reinhart or Bennett to be "big-bodied"
    At 18 years old, 6'1 and 185lbs, I would consider Reinhart to be a solid upgrade to the center position in skill and size for the Oilers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

After taking Ristolainen and Zadorov in the first round last year, you think they would take another D with their 1st overall pick when they need scoring?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

At 18 years old, 6'1 and 185lbs, I would consider Reinhart to be a solid upgrade to the center position in skill and size for the Oilers.
    Just like the Nuge! http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=8684

Administrator

After taking Ristolainen and Zadorov in the first round last year, you think they would take another D with their 1st overall pick when they need scoring?
    If a D is the best player available. They also took Grigorenko and Girgensons the year before. Team "need" shouldn't matter, especially not when you are as talent hungry as the Sabres.

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah, neither Reinhart (6'0.75" / 185) nor Bennett (6' 0.25" / 178) are really big bodies, but they aren't small either. For 18 year olds, especially Bennett who is a June '96 birthday, that's pretty solid size.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    And if you go to NHL.com, he was 6.0' 171lbs when he was drafted. Goes to show there is room to grow.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.ht...sition=&round=

Administrator

And if you go to NHL.com, he was 6.0' 171lbs when he was drafted. Goes to show there is room to grow.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftstats.ht...sition=&round=
    And Reinhart is a late '95 instead of a '96 so he's already had extra time to grow. He's not bringing a size component right away, which this being the Oiler, you know they are using him right away. Doesn't fill the void.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think Bennett is the real one with "room to grow" since he's a young buck in this draft class. Reinhart is considerably older in terms of draft eligible comparison.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm talking Reinhart at 1 no matter what team I am. As far as I'm concerned he's the best player in the draft. Love his I.Q and compete level. I don't even think it is really as close as people are making it out to be. Button having him at 4 is ridiculous. He knows his shit and is connected up the ying-yang but he has been spewing garbage all year with his rankings
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.