Thread: 7th overall in this years draft

The Great One

Default 7th overall in this years draft

Of this years draft eligibles it seems like the top 4 are sown up. Who can I reasonably expect to draft with the 7th overall? Will Myers be there or is he a project? What about Boedker? Ive read a bit but there seems to be very few \"slam dunks after the top 4 or 5. Any insight would be appreciated.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Whoops, I completely misunderstood the question.

At #7 in your pool, I would say it really depends on how your predecessors\' farm teams are looking, and what categories you\'re counting.

In points only, my top 5 forwards are:
    Stamkos
    Filatov
    Boedker
    Tedenby
    Hodgson

My top 5 points-only defensemen are:
    Doughty
    Bogosian
    Pietrangelo
    Del Zotto
    Ness

All depends on what you\'re looking for.

Looking at your team - I would hope one of the wingers falls to your lap.
    12 Team Full-Keeper (Custom 82-game schedule, start 6F + 4D + 1G):
    G=1, A=0.5, GA=-0.5

F: Crosby, Benn, Giroux, Kopitar, Boedker, Franzen, Nyquist, Hertl, Ennis, Brassard, Saad, Yakupov, Kuznetsov, Dubinsky, Plekanec, Semin
    D: Yandle, Franson, Vatanen, Bouwmeester, Carlson, Garrison, Daley, Leopold, Voynov, Marincin
    G: Florida, Arizona
    FARM: Kucherov, Tatar, Bjugstad, Girgensons, Etem, Jurco, Nylander, Severson, Lee, Nieto, Stone, Zucker, DeAngelo, Kempe, Dano, Grimaldi, Bjorkstrand, Tolchinsky, R. Murray, Nygren, Elliott[/SIZE]

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think Boedker will be gone by #7. His stock has risen considerably. Which would give you one of Hodgson, Beach (boom or bust), or Pietrangelo. I wouldn\'t touch Myers. He\'s still years away and could turn out to be a Hal Gill.

The Great One

mbice wrote:
    I think Boedker will be gone by #7. His stock has risen considerably. Which would give you one of Hodgson, Beach (boom or bust), or Pietrangelo. I wouldn\'t touch Myers. He\'s still years away and could turn out to be a Hal Gill.
    I liked what I read about him. How close is he to the show? Could he step in in the next year or two? I have the number 2 and Im pretty set on Filatov...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I also have the seventh pick in my league\'s entry draft...I\'m not sure what to expect. I know Stamkos will be gone 1st overall (for one, because I have the pick, and also it\'s a no-brainer). After that, I\'m assuming Filatov, Boedker, and one of Doughty/Bogosian (maybe both, I don\'t know how people in my league are going to value these D-Men) will be gone. My bet is on Doughty going first. I will probably take whoever is left of Hodgson, Wilson, and Bogosian. Definitely don\'t take Myers in the first round...he is a project.

Dobber Sports Ace

Myers is still raw and projects to be years in the making. In fantasy circles I think Boedker will be gone by the 7th selection with the recent hype he is getting.

In fact I just traded away the 4th overall pick in my 08 prospect draft for an 09 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder in 08 because I have a young def core already and I felt there was a significant drop off after Stamkos and Filatov in the forward position. Fortunately I landed the 2nd overall in a separate trade so I can draft Filatov.

My feeling is the guys likely to be around at #7, Hodgson, Wilson, Tedenby are all at least 2-3 years from seeing time in the big show. In comparison, Pietrangelo could be in the bigs as soon as next year if drafted by ATL. Though defensemen often take longer to reach their prime potential.

If looking for the quickest bang, I would look at taking the defenseman drafted by ATL if still available.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO