Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Drouin Worries?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Drouin Worries?

We need to change the title of this thread to "Mooseheads worries". LOL!

For me, I guess I look at him differently as I have been a goalie myself for 35+ years. I have played the position (at various skill levels throughout my hockey career) and I see things differently then others who havent played goalie. I watch his positioning, I watch what the team is doing in front of him, I watch the D without the puck and how they positionally play. I watch the goals that go past him and it's not hard to tell when he lets a bad one in (and dont get me wrong, he lets in a few bad ones) and when it was a breakdown in his own zone that was caused by either his D being out of position or simply because his forwards werent doing their job. I just see him as a sound goalie who plays his angles well and controls his rebounds.

I guess the way I look at it as far as his situation goes, you have to think that other NHL scouts see things that us "armchair scouts" dont see as well. If he wasn't all that good, believe me when I say he would have slipped down the draft table as well. I am not saying that NHL scouts aren't infallible but surely they know a thing or two about scouting these kids that you and I don't and I doubt they would have drafted him anywhere near the 2nd round if they didn't think he had something in him as well.

quick edit: FWIW, Mac Carruth, who he faced last year on a stacked Portland Winterhawks team was a 7th round draft pick. I dont think they draft these kids that high due to the stacked team in front of them. They draft these kids on what they see for their future abilities. You have to think Montreal saw something pretty special in him to take him in the 2nd round.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    quick edit: FWIW, Mac Carruth, who he faced last year on a stacked Portland Winterhawks team was a 7th round draft pick. I dont think they draft these kids that high due to the stacked team in front of them. They draft these kids on what they see for their future abilities. You have to think Montreal saw something pretty special in him to take him in the 2nd round.
    Exactly. And as to the discussion of junior goalies earlier.....If Fucale and Carruth swapped teams, Fucale played for Portland and Carruth for Halifax.....Portland wins the Memorial Cup last season.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Stud

We need to change the title of this thread to "Mooseheads worries". LOL!

I guess the way I look at it as far as his situation goes, you have to think that other NHL scouts see things that us "armchair scouts" dont see as well. If he wasn't all that good, believe me when I say he would have slipped down the draft table as well. I am not saying that NHL scouts aren't infallible but surely they know a thing or two about scouting these kids that you and I don't and I doubt they would have drafted him anywhere near the 2nd round if they didn't think he had something in him as well.
    I've used this argument myself many times so it's refreshing to have it thrown back at me BUT my one caveat has always been with goalies. Outside the elite (high end of the 1st round) talent I don't believe that scouts are very good at picking the goalies. That being said, I'm sure they're better at it than I am. I'm now intrigued to follow up on this thought and attempt to correlate goalie draft position with NHL success......I'll post my findings in the next couple of days.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that Fucale excels in the positioning aspects of the game, his upside to me is a guy like Reimer.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    If Fucale and Carruth swapped teams, Fucale played for Portland and Carruth for Halifax.....Portland wins the Memorial Cup last season.
    In the games Halifax won they outscored their opponents by an average of over 4 goals per game and not one of the wins was within a goal. I do not think having Carruth in net would have made a lick of difference to Halifax

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    In the games Halifax won they outscored their opponents by an average of over 4 goals per game and not one of the wins was within a goal. I do not think having Carruth in net would have made a lick of difference to Halifax
    I think you underestimate just how bad Mac Carruth could be. So put him in the Moosehead's net and Fucale in Portland's net and I almost guarantee that game ends up differently. Fucale may not be a superstar in the NHL, but he's at least a prospect worth keeping an eye on.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I agree that Fucale excels in the positioning aspects of the game, his upside to me is a guy like Reimer.
    Good grief - I think the Habs have higher hopes than that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    If he became Reimer that's a good pick.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    I think you underestimate just how bad Mac Carruth could be. So put him in the Moosehead's net and Fucale in Portland's net and I almost guarantee that game ends up differently. Fucale may not be a superstar in the NHL, but he's at least a prospect worth keeping an eye on.
    lol.....fair point. His SV percentages have been abysmal

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    The Habs shouldn't have to worry about goaltending for the next 8 years as long as Price can stay healthy.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    No I wouldn't actually. Thanks for assuming though! Always appreciated.

I'll go through with the PayPal bet. $20.
    And that's how you win $20 boys. Ehlers picked in the top 10, which we all knew would happen but Ev tried to play it off some and go against popular decision as usual.

$20. Always appreciated. Now I can buy your guide Dobber.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    And that's how you win $20 boys. Ehlers picked in the top 10, which we all knew would happen but Ev tried to play it off some and go against popular decision as usual.

$20. Always appreciated. Now I can buy your guide Dobber.
    I had missed this thread this whole time. Read this post and then went back and watched the thread unfold. Thanks for the entertainment, guys
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

This is one of the few threads I wish I could take back, but I'm glad it sparked discussion. Time to pay up, Big Ev!
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I say double or nothing on how many points Turris gets this season!!

Over/Under 64 points??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd say both. How many last year were saying the same thing about Drouin, who was playing with MacKinnon? Many thought Drouin was simply a product of playing with Nate. I guess Drouin must have learned a thing or two from MacKinnon and is sharing the wealth with Ehlers now.

I still say Ehlers will be a top 10 draft pick in the NHL draft and I expect him to go somewhere around 6th overall.
    I even had him in my mock draft at 6 (totally forgetting about this thread and the fact I mentioned this months ago) so I missed by a couple teams, but I still figured he's be a top 10 pick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

It's time to pay the piper Ev. You can't 'ignore' this thread forever.