Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: St. Louis to NYR for Callahan and a first rounder

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: [TRADE] St. Louis for Callahan and picks

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    it is mixed among the guys i talk to on another message board but that is difficult to extrapolate to the general fan population and those who frequent message boards tend to not be a proper sample of a fanbase

most tend to feel that Cally priced himself out though

the picks and MSL's age tend to be more the issue with most than Cally actually being gone

a few think the team got softer in terms of grit though and think something needs to be done to address that
    I'm a huge Callahan fan, and was a little disappointed that he didn't soften his demands a bit more, but from what McKenzie was saying yesterday it sounded like he did soften quite a bit on term and money, but Rangers weren't willing to meet him in the middle. It's going to be weird seeing him playing in another jersey.......I think his phsyical, high-energy style of play will jive well with Cooper in Tampa, and that he'll be a great fit there.

There's no denying you guys got a great player back, but it will be interesting to see the overall effect considering Callahan was such a big part of the Ranger's identity and has been for a while now.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I'm a huge Callahan fan, and was a little disappointed that he didn't soften his demands a bit more, but from what McKenzie was saying yesterday it sounded like he did soften quite a bit on term and money, but Rangers weren't willing to meet him in the middle. It's going to be weird seeing him playing in another jersey.......I think his phsyical, high-energy style of play will jive well with Cooper in Tampa, and that he'll be a great fit there.

There's no denying you guys got a great player back, but it will be interesting to see the overall effect considering Callahan was such a big part of the Ranger's identity and has been for a while now.
    The other stumbling block was a NTC.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    You mean ridiculous contract demands guy?
    I don't think that his contract demands were that ridiculous. Lots of guys of lesser skill have gotten bigger paydays in the NHL lately.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    I don't think that his contract demands were that ridiculous. Lots of guys of lesser skill have gotten bigger paydays in the NHL lately.
    That only makes it slightly less ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Veteran

MSL was a big part of the TBL identity too.
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz

Dobber Sports Veteran

The other stumbling block was a NTC.
    I did not know this. Although if he got the money he was after, it could be argued that the size and term of the contract itself would constitute a no-trade clause as he'd be pretty much impossible to trade.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

MSL was a big part of the TBL identity too.
    The "cry, quit and move on when you don't get your way" identity? That shit MSL pulled over the Olympics was super weak, Tampa fans and players should be pissed. They are better off with Callahan IMO

Administrator

I did not know this. Although if he got the money he was after, it could be argued that the size and term of the contract itself would constitute a no-trade clause as he'd be pretty much impossible to trade.
    Bob Mac's latest tweet said they were only $200,000 apart annually but the NTC was a stumbling block. Ultimately when St. Louis became available they jumped on that direction instead.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Bob Mac's latest tweet said they were only $200,000 apart annually but the NTC was a stumbling block. Ultimately when St. Louis became available they jumped on that direction instead.
    I heard that $200,000 bit too. Personally, if I were a Rangers fan, it would really piss me off that it fell apart on as little and 200 g's and a NTC. We'll see how it pans out, but I think the Rangers lose in the long term on this one. Trading your identity is a dangerous game to play.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The "cry, quit and move on when you don't get your way" identity? That shit MSL pulled over the Olympics was super weak, Tampa fans and players should be pissed. They are better off with Callahan IMO
    Oh I agree with you but before hand he was the heart and soul of the TBL.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Oh I agree with you but before hand he was the heart and soul of the TBL.
    At one time, sure. But that torch was passed to Stamkos a while ago now, he's the future and heart of that team. Callahan was much more of a captain in every sense of the word in that he dictated the Ranger's energy level, physicality and style of play every single night. He puts his body on the line for his team and plays with 130% effort 100% of the time, and you can see how infectious that is throughout the whole line-up........it's going to be really interesting to see what the Rangers are without Captain Cally leading the way.

Dobber Sports Wizard

If there is one thing you can't say about MSL, it's that he never gave less than his all on the ice. Off the ice sure maybe he had some issues that came up, but you can't knock MSL for slacking off on the ice.

Now please for the sake of my fantasy team, line him up with Nash. It would be nice for him to actually play with a player who can score.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    If there is one thing you can't say about MSL, it's that he never gave less than his all on the ice. Off the ice sure maybe he had some issues that came up, but you can't knock MSL for slacking off on the ice.

Now please for the sake of my fantasy team, line him up with Nash. It would be nice for him to actually play with a player who can score.
    That's what I'm saying. Too critical of St. Louis here.

They should be out there together on the power play.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've never been critical of St. Louis on the ice....no doubt the guy played his heart out. Callahan takes that to a whole other level though, he literally destroys his body for his team.

I just don't like selfish trade demands, never have and never will....any player that makes one is hurting his team mates and the franchise he plays for, and I'll always think less of any player that pulls these kind of stunts, doesn't matter who it is.

Administrator

I've never been critical of St. Louis on the ice....no doubt the guy played his heart out. Callahan takes that to a whole other level though, he literally destroys his body for his team.

I just don't like selfish trade demands, never have and never will....any player that makes one is hurting his team mates and the franchise he plays for, and I'll always think less of any player that pulls these kind of stunts, doesn't matter who it is.
    When you consider how shameless franchises are in penny-pinching I have zero issue with a player doing anything to hurt his franchise.