Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: St. Louis to NYR for Callahan and a first rounder

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: [TRADE] St. Louis for Callahan and picks

i for one dont like it at all. cally was the identity the rangers needed. work hard and play for your team. we've had plenty of stars who packed it in and half retired while playing for the rangers. st.louis is a great player and will still score imo but he doesnt bring the intangables that cally did.
    throwing in picks was just plain stupid imo. as yzerman had burned his bridges with stlouis and everyone knew he was getting traded.
    when rummors/truths get leaked into the media about players wanting out, generally you can get a bit of a deal- the rangers overpayed.

my theory/hope is that sather and cally discussed him resigning with new york and are renting him out for st.loius till 2015. --joking.--
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I don't think St. Louis' numbers will be nearly as good in New York. And even if he can continue to be effective into his 40s, I still don't think he is worth a first round pick in a very good draft AND a second round pick.
    You don't think the reigning Art Ross Trophy winner, perennial top 10 scorer, and one of the best conditioned athletes in the league is worth a late-first round pick and change?

You're a tough negotiator...

Dobber Sports All-Star

This is a trade that Yzerman will live to regret. He just traded away the team's most valuable player. It will be interesting to see if Stamkos has the leadership and heart to fill the hole now.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    This is a trade that Yzerman will live to regret. He just traded away the team's most valuable player. It will be interesting to see if Stamkos has the leadership and heart to fill the hole now.
    We may never know but if St. Louis was sour over the Olympic snub he didn't have much choice...

Dobber Sports Veteran

If all the stuff about MSL wanting out because Yzerman left him off Team Canada is true then I'm very disappointed in him. Yzerman wasn't made the GM of Team Canada so that he could play favorite to the players on his team. His job was to pick the players who gave their country the best chances at winning gold. MSL might be one of the best scorers in the world but when Team Canada has so many scorers already on the roster other factors like size are more important than getting a guy who can only score a lot of points. MSL use to be one of my favorite players, now I don't think I feel that way anymore. I think its unprofessional the way he dealt with this situation and he was a baby about it.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Fun Fact: This appears to be the NHL's first ever Captain for Captain trade.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    You don't think the reigning Art Ross Trophy winner, perennial top 10 scorer, and one of the best conditioned athletes in the league is worth a late-first round pick and change?

You're a tough negotiator...
    in all honesty, I'm that high on McDavid. I'm not trading any first round picks in 2015 that have even a remote chance of becoming McDavid.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by brakli View Post
    We may never know but if St. Louis was sour over the Olympic snub he didn't have much choice...
    We now know. Now that the deal is done, Stevie Y confirmed that St. Louis asked for a trade after the Olympic snub. Weak-sauce.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    We now know. Now that the deal is done, Stevie Y confirmed that St. Louis asked for a trade after the Olympic snub. Weak-sauce.
    What a cry baby. Callahan will be a huge improvement in the character department.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    What a cry baby. Callahan will be a huge improvement in the character department.
    You mean ridiculous contract demands guy?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this. Callahan was the leader of that team and set the tone and compete level. He was a valuable penalty killer and front of net pp guy. The fans loved him, so did his team-mates. I'm one of the people that believes that intangibles are worth something and think the Rangers buggered this up big time.....IMO Cally is worth the 6-6.5 million a year. I'm tired of the Clarkson comparisons as anyone comparing Callahan and Clarkson have never watched either player play all that much.....they are completely different entities.

St. Louis production will take a big hit in NYR IMO, just as Nash's did, so don't bank on his Tampa numbers, it's not happening. I also think this will likely end up badly for the NYR in the long run. I'm curious what the NYR faithful are thinking, where's Lucifer when we need him?
    ideally a deal could have been worked out with Cally, but at the end of the day MSL being available meant that Sather only had to move so far in his negotiating before he could just dig in and trade Cally, without MSL being available i think that both sides would have continued to inch towards each other and a deal would have been made

so once i resign myself to the fact that Cally is getting traded the next part is the value of the trade, i think that getting MSL in a deal for Cally+ was probably the best thing the Rangers could have done with Cally, other than re-sign him, given the moves the team has made over the past few seasons, they have put themselves in a go for it now mode with these decisions and moving Cally for futures would have been a waste

now at first i would have preferred to have seen the picks swapped in terms of which round was which year but i believe that this year's second can become a first anyway making that hopefully a moot point

yeah it is a very high price to pay but it is MSL for crying out loud he is tied for 8th in points, tied for 5th in goals, he was 1st in points last year and likely had a little bit of a hand in Stamkos being second, you aren't getting a guy like that for a pair of 2nd round picks

so while it is not ideal, it is a deal i have a little bit of excitement about and i can't say that very often about things Sather does

there is a lot that has to be replaced that Cally brings that is for sure but Sather just was not going to move any further than he did

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    ideally a deal could have been worked out with Cally, but at the end of the day MSL being available meant that Sather only had to move so far in his negotiating before he could just dig in and trade Cally, without MSL being available i think that both sides would have continued to inch towards each other and a deal would have been made

so once i resign myself to the fact that Cally is getting traded the next part is the value of the trade, i think that getting MSL in a deal for Cally+ was probably the best thing the Rangers could have done with Cally, other than re-sign him, given the moves the team has made over the past few seasons, they have put themselves in a go for it now mode with these decisions and moving Cally for futures would have been a waste

now at first i would have preferred to have seen the picks swapped in terms of which round was which year but i believe that this year's second can become a first anyway making that hopefully a moot point

yeah it is a very high price to pay but it is MSL for crying out loud he is tied for 8th in points, tied for 5th in goals, he was 1st in points last year and likely had a little bit of a hand in Stamkos being second, you aren't getting a guy like that for a pair of 2nd round picks

so while it is not ideal, it is a deal i have a little bit of excitement about and i can't say that very often about things Sather does

there is a lot that has to be replaced that Cally brings that is for sure but Sather just was not going to move any further than he did
    Just the man I wanted to hear from about this deal. How are Rangers fans in general reacting to the news of Cally getting moved?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Pro

Does anyone want to take a crack at the line combos for both teams? I have Kreider and Zuccarello and Kucherov is a FA in our league. Rep for all who try! Thanks.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wow, just wow.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Just the man I wanted to hear from about this deal. How are Rangers fans in general reacting to the news of Cally getting moved?
    it is mixed among the guys i talk to on another message board but that is difficult to extrapolate to the general fan population and those who frequent message boards tend to not be a proper sample of a fanbase

most tend to feel that Cally priced himself out though

the picks and MSL's age tend to be more the issue with most than Cally actually being gone

a few think the team got softer in terms of grit though and think something needs to be done to address that

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max