Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: St. Louis to NYR for Callahan and a first rounder

Dobber Sports Stud

Default St. Louis to NYR for Callahan and a first rounder

TSN is reporting it. Love what this does for Callahan's value, but I think Marty's takes a hit.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: [TRADE] St. Louis for Callahan and picks

No wonder Yzerman immediately handed in his walking papers after winning gold.
    Even despite St Louis getting on the squad and eventually winning gold, the damage was apparently done.
    While loving his game and respecting him as I do, a bit disappointed in him for taking it like a baby, if that's what motivated all this.
    Good thing Yzerman wasn't also the GM for Giroux, Staal, Thornton, Neal, Hall, Seguin, etc..
    F: McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel, Gaudreau, M Tkachuk, E Lindholm, Rob Thomas, Hischier
    D: S Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Hamilton
    G: Husso, Raanta

*** ONE YEAR - POINTS ONLY *** skaters: 1pt/G, 1pt/A. goalies: 2pt/win, 2pt/SO *** 12 teams
    MUST HAVE -- 8F, 4D, 2G --- (******Can only swap at same position, F, D, G ********)
    10 ACQUISITIONS TOTAL ON THE YEAR (**I've used NINE of them - ONE LEFT**) *** NO BENCH - NO IR - NO TRADES BETWEEN MEMBERS ***

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by brakli View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you with my one-year league. He was already on the fringe, but I kept him because of the Rangers' handful of odd night games. Not sure what to do with him now.
    He's one of my keepers for his huge multi-cat contributions......he's been on my team for 3 years now, love him as a fantasy player. Even in less productive years like this one, Cally stuffs the stat sheet and is a multi-cat beast. I just need him to maintain solid minutes and get some pp time in TAmpa and he should be fine.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

The Great One

I don't think St. Louis' numbers will be nearly as good in New York. And even if he can continue to be effective into his 40s, I still don't think he is worth a first round pick in a very good draft AND a second round pick.

Callahan is apparently asking for a lot of money, but what if he changes his contract demands with Tampa? I also think he is an excellent leader and will significantly help the Bolts in the playoffs.

I guess only time will tell, but I have a feeling this will turn out to be a very bad deal for the Rangers.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    When is it ever an over payment when you get the reigning Art Ross winner for a player who waaaaaaaaay over values himself? Callahan is good for maybe 15 goals and 40 points a year.
    you are focused on fantasy numbers and not real-life hockey...I agree that Callahan isn't worth $6 million, but his value is so much more than points. He will make the Bolts a tough team to play against in the playoffs. That team has proven they can still score without Stamkos. Now that he is back, they will still score without St. Louis, and now they have an extremely effective, gritty, and tenacious leader in Callahan. NO ONE in the league plays harder than Callahan. He isn't worth $6 million, but even as a rental he has HUGE value for the playoff-bound Bolts.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I don't think St. Louis' numbers will be nearly as good in New York. And even if he can continue to be effective into his 40s, I still don't think he is worth a first round pick in a very good draft AND a second round pick.

Callahan is apparently asking for a lot of money, but what if he changes his contract demands with Tampa? I also think he is an excellent leader and will significantly help the Bolts in the playoffs.

I guess only time will tell, but I have a feeling this will turn out to be a very bad deal for the Rangers.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this. Callahan was the leader of that team and set the tone and compete level. He was a valuable penalty killer and front of net pp guy. The fans loved him, so did his team-mates. I'm one of the people that believes that intangibles are worth something and think the Rangers buggered this up big time.....IMO Cally is worth the 6-6.5 million a year. I'm tired of the Clarkson comparisons as anyone comparing Callahan and Clarkson have never watched either player play all that much.....they are completely different entities.

St. Louis production will take a big hit in NYR IMO, just as Nash's did, so don't bank on his Tampa numbers, it's not happening. I also think this will likely end up badly for the NYR in the long run. I'm curious what the NYR faithful are thinking, where's Lucifer when we need him?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    He's one of my keepers for his huge multi-cat contributions......he's been on my team for 3 years now, love him as a fantasy player. Even in less productive years like this one, Cally stuffs the stat sheet and is a multi-cat beast. I just need him to maintain solid minutes and get some pp time in TAmpa and he should be fine.
    This is what I'll wait to find out - hopefully he does get some PP time.

Administrator

you are focused on fantasy numbers and not real-life hockey...I agree that Callahan isn't worth $6 million, but his value is so much more than points. He will make the Bolts a tough team to play against in the playoffs. That team has proven they can still score without Stamkos. Now that he is back, they will still score without St. Louis, and now they have an extremely effective, gritty, and tenacious leader in Callahan. NO ONE in the league plays harder than Callahan. He isn't worth $6 million, but even as a rental he has HUGE value for the playoff-bound Bolts.
    Yeah, we'll see if Callahan can get his scoring back on track. One of the things to note about guys who play like Callahan is that when the injuries start mounting it can become a real problem because he doesn't know how to turn that switch off. It's what makes him great but what could make him a burden if you commit too much money to him. It can happen in a real hurry.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this. Callahan was the leader of that team and set the tone and compete level. He was a valuable penalty killer and front of net pp guy. The fans loved him, so did his team-mates. I'm one of the people that believes that intangibles are worth something and think the Rangers buggered this up big time.....IMO Cally is worth the 6-6.5 million a year. I'm tired of the Clarkson comparisons as anyone comparing Callahan and Clarkson have never watched either player play all that much.....they are completely different entities.

St. Louis production will take a big hit in NYR IMO, just as Nash's did, so don't bank on his Tampa numbers, it's not happening. I also think this will likely end up badly for the NYR in the long run. I'm curious what the NYR faithful are thinking, where's Lucifer when we need him?
    My comp for Callahan if the injuries start to catch up to him would be Horcoff. Things went south for that guy in a hurry. Commit too much to Callahan, even if he's worth it, and it could blow up in your face.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Yeah, we'll see if Callahan can get his scoring back on track. One of the things to note about guys who play like Callahan is that when the injuries start mounting it can become a real problem because he doesn't know how to turn that switch off. It's what makes him great but what could make him a burden if you commit too much money to him. It can happen in a real hurry.
    Another factor in his struggles was that AV didn't use him as much as Torts did. Less PP time, less ice-time in general. I think he's the type of player that Cooper will love and that he will lean on him heavy like he does with Gudas. He likes his physical, defensively-sound, intense players and could see him potentially thriving in Tampa if all goes well.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    My comp for Callahan if the injuries start to catch up to him would be Horcoff. Things went south for that guy in a hurry. Commit too much to Callahan, even if he's worth it, and it could blow up in your face.
    As an Edmontonian, I'll have to disagree with this analogy. Callahan will have more compete in his 80-year old pinkie finger than Horcoff did in his entire body on his draft day.

Administrator

Another factor in his struggles was that AV didn't use him as much as Torts did. Less PP time, less ice-time in general. I think he's the type of player that Cooper will love and that he will lean on him heavy like he does with Gudas. He likes his physical, defensively-sound, intense players and could see him potentially thriving in Tampa if all goes well.
    That's fair. By all accounts Callahan should be productive wherever he goes.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Why do you assume I'm basing it on fantasy hockey? Callahan is nowhere near the player that St. Louis is. St. Louis played just as well when Stamkos was gone as he did when he was there. So maybe the catalyst to that team's prolific offense is Marty and not Steven. So I am not basing this on fantasy. Facts are facts.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Administrator

As an Edmontonian, I'll have to disagree with this analogy. Callahan will have more compete in his 80-year old pinkie finger than Horcoff did in his entire body on his draft day.
    You forget that guy killing himself night-in night-out before he got paid?

The Great One

Why do you assume I'm basing it on fantasy hockey? Callahan is nowhere near the player that St. Louis is. St. Louis played just as well when Stamkos was gone as he did when he was there. So maybe the catalyst to that team's prolific offense is Marty and not Steven. So I am not basing this on fantasy. Facts are facts.
    you are comparing Callahan's 40 pts to St. Louis' Art Ross numbers...that is fair, but not the entire picture

I'm just saying that if you look beyond the fantasy numbers, Callahan's value increases significantly. It is unfair to say "Callahan is 40 pts at best" because no one is foolish enough to think that Callahan is going to put up a lot of points. He isn't worth $6 million, but he is an excellent rental for the Bolts and will be a HUGE loss for the Rangers. You cannot trade away your Captain and hardest working player, the on-ice leader, and not be affected by this. Conversely, Callahan will bring those same intangibles to the Bolts. This is a big loss for both teams. I'd argue that it is about even (player for player). What I mean is that the Bolts will miss St. Louis' offense as much as the Rangers will miss Callahan's leadership and grit. Both will be negatively affected by those losses. However, the Bolts have two very good picks and the potential to re-sign Callahan for less money than he apparently wanted from the Rangers or they can trade him for another pick.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap