Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mike Gillis.. Worst GM in hockey today?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Mike Gillis.. Worst GM in hockey today?

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Getting rid of that contract? They are paying $800,000 a year. Not to mention the recapture penalties if Lu retires before the deal is up. Lu makes basically 3.5 Million in salary in the last three years (2019-20 to 2021-22). If he walks away on those years, the Canucks are stuck with dead cap space of $2.8 million for 3 years.
    Not to mention they could have moved him a year sooner, gotten a lot more back with having to pay less of Lou's salary and then moving forward with Schneider. He literally ****ed this one up as bad as one could, he essentially gave both away and still has to pay one of them. Wow, just wow.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Ace

Wow.
    What vitriol.

He is not a terrible GM, far from it. How did that change from when he won GM of the year?

He planned this team to peak a couple of years ago, and it did. He helped get them within a game of the Stanley Cup. No, he is not a miraculous GM that manages to keep their team in contention forever... But few are: Detroit and NJ from yesteryear, Chicago now (possibly Pitt or Boston if you feel especially generous).

He inherited a team with terrible terrible prospects, and after a couple of years of bad drafting has formed quite the reasonable pipeline. He has three cheap young goalies competing for the number one spot. Markstrom was once the most hyped goalie prospect since Price, and it is certainly too early to give up on him when there are only 4 NHL starters under 26. Lack has done exceptionally well this year in a small sample size, and did well in the AHL and SEL. Eriksson put up ridiculous numbers in the SEL, and has been one of the better goalies in the AHL since the new year.

Getting out of that contract (especially if it was mandated by ownership) is something to commend. Especially when shoring up your team's centre depth and securing a prospect like Markstrom. Luongo has been a league average goalie over the past couple of years and this gives them a lot more flexibility in the years to come.
    I don't see how trading a league average goaltender pushing 35 with a cap hit over 5 million (Vancouver doesn't care about actual salary near as much as it does about Cap) for that type of return is atrocious. The process to get there was not pretty, but the result wasn't bad. For those questioning the process, we have no idea what actually happened in any of these scenarios, or how much the ownership pulled the strings.

Even the Schneider trade wasn't bad. Horvat is a great prospect, and will serve the Canucks well in the future. I actually think one of his worse moves was signing the Sedin's to their extensions early this year during a hot steak.

Overall, this is a team that was built to peak in 2011-2013. They were smart enough to realize that, and now their prospects for 2015 looks pretty good. A terrible GM (ahem, Calgary, ahem) would have added rentals and ignored the need to rebuild. A terrible GM wouldn't have gotten good value for current players or restocked through the draft or just bunged up all the draft picks (ahem, Edmonton, ahem) leading to a decade of rebuilding. All signs point to a better future than that, even if Gillis won't be there for it. Give him Kudos for not falling into the trap of self-preservation and blindness that usually hits GMs in his spot.

Please do tell me how he ranks in the bottom third of GMs. How many in his company took a good core and guided it to Stanley Cup finals. If they had some success, how many of those other terrible GMs were able to restock the team's young talent like Gillis has (Lack, Eriksson, Tanev, Corrado, Stanton were all steals or young UFA signings and he has the first round talent of Jensen, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Markstrom as well).

Is he a great, top 5 GM? No, probably not.
    Is he in the bottom third? No, I don't think so.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Deity

You all seem to forget, it was Gillis who signed Lou to that albatros of a contract so the pie still falls in his face. You can say "good for him" for ridding the franchise of that crappy contract, but it was Gillis who put them in that position in the first place by signing Lou to that deal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Question should be whether or not he's reached Milbury territory yet.
    Wow, exactly what are you smoking? He's not even close to Milbury territory. How jaded are you?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

It seems that ownership forced his hand.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Question should be whether or not he's reached Milbury territory yet.
    Milbury and Snow territory. But Milbury did destroy this franchise.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody is.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think you can question Gillis' stratagy but the once the new CBA came around getting rid of that contract is something I thought impossible. Getting anything back for it, even flawed pieces, is icing on the cake.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You all seem to forget, it was Gillis who signed Lou to that albatros of a contract so the pie still falls in his face. You can say "good for him" for ridding the franchise of that crappy contract, but it was Gillis who put them in that position in the first place by signing Lou to that deal.
    That contract didn't seem nearly as bad under the old CBA. The length was a loophole that'll now kick them in the ass, but that's not something Gillis could've foreseen.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Padawan

Mike Gillis G.M. (Generally Mental).
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I really hate the way Lu got treated at Vancouver. This team was going nowhere until he arrived. He gave them a gold medal in their own town (!) and a dam good playoff run for the Stanley Cup final (!!) ... and still he was treated like SH*T.
    It's make at least two seasons that they are going nowhere into the playoffs because of the none production of the twin'zzzzzzz ! What a shame ! Gillis is looking so stupid right now. Big contract for Lou, cant trade him... get ride of a top goalie prospect into Schneider and finally get ride of Lu ... for nothing.

A real shame ... a huge shame, if I was a Vancouver fan I will just burn my jersey right away in my stove.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think the way they handles the whole Luongo mess reflects extremely poorly on the Canucks. He was nothing but the consummate professional throughout all the drama, and they did nothing but jerk him around. I think this is going to have some long term effects on the organization in that a a lot of FA's (especially goalies) are going to avoid Vancouver like the plague with Torts running the show and how they've handled personnel.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I think the way they handles the whole Luongo mess reflects extremely poorly on the Canucks. He was nothing but the consummate professional throughout all the drama, and they did nothing but jerk him around. I think this is going to have some long term effects on the organization in that a a lot of FA's (especially goalies) are going to avoid Vancouver like the plague with Torts running the show and how they've handled personnel.
    Fully agree

Hope the fans of Vancouver are patient .... cloudy days ahead.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by #1Sakic View Post
    Fully agree

Hope the fans of Vancouver are patient .... cloudy days ahead.
    Well it is the 'wet coast' so at least we are used to clouds.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

The Great One

Crying to the media like a lil b!tch every time you don't get a start is being a consummate professional?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Gillis is a piece of work. No matter what he is planning he will not be around to see it come to fruition. Even with the morons that support the Canucks (life long Vancouverite, I experience the idiocy daily) and the Rose tinted glasses they wear (evidenced by posts in this thread), this city will not put up with a crappy hockey team for an extended period of time. It's the only ticket in town outside of soccer (!) and WHL. On the positive side, at least all the 1 percenters will be scalping their seasons tickets for the next couple seasons, so I can go see real hockey teams for cheap, as long as I don't mind paying 10 bucks for a dixieland Cup of beer and getting spat on and sworn at my Bridge&tunnel warriors from the burbs. #VancityLife

Gillis has gone from doing a commendable job, to managing people like cattle. No one likes working for someone as cold as him. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better and you can take a lot of NTC players out of the equation while him and torts are the tandem here. Good luck!
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft