Thread: Kunitz for Parise

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Kunitz for Parise

Offered Kunitz for Parise in my seven keeper below. Thoughts? Would I have too many Pens with Cros and Malks already?
    15 Team Roto League (keep 5)
    G/A/P/+-/PIM/PPP/SHP/SOG
    W/L/GAA/SV%/SHO/GS
    Max 130 Games for each position except 195 for Def
    45 moves for the season

start 2 C: Mackinnon, Pettersson
    start 2 LW: Huberdeau, Kaprisov
    start 2 RW: JTMiller (RW), Rust
    start 3 D: Nurse, Slavin, Hronek
    start 2 G: Markstrom, Peterson
    start 2 Util:Saad, Kapanen
    BN: Dellia, Hornqvist, Gusev, Hintz

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Kunitz for Parise

I'd prefer Kunitz.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm not a fan of that deal. You're buying high on Kunitz during the best season of his life; he'll be 35 next season, and I'm very skeptical that a point per game is his new norm going forward. His value is built entirely around riding shotgun with Sid. Parise is an upper tier player, capable of a point per game and more in any given year. In a one year league, I can see making this deal. In a keeper, no way. Even the PIMs aren't enough to sway me, as Kunitz often doesn't rack up more than 50 or so in a season.
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

Dobber Sports Deity

I prefer Kunitz. I dont think his performance is necessarily tied to Sid. He didnt have issues scoring in Anaheim before he came to Pittsburgh. And even if his scoring had to do with Sid, why is that a bad thing? Kunitz is signed for 3 more years in Pittsburgh because he plays well with Sid. Hard to argue with that. If theres someone to be tied to, and dont think they plan on breaking them up anytime soon, it might as well be the best player in the game.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

I like Parise - always side with the player that can perform on his own versus the player that relies on a superstar for his stats.

Dobber Sports Ace

I swallowed really hard earlier this season and, in a couple different moves, essentially moved Parise and added Kunitz. There were a few other pieces involved as I pushed to win this season, but from a keeper standpoint, you can basically say it was Parise for Kunitz. (The other veteran pieces added won't be keepers).

I was willing to do the move because the extra pieces helped me this year.

Beyond that, I swallowed really, really hard when it came to the keeper standpoint but decided to do it because (as said above) Kunitz is a legit 60-pt guy who happens to play with the best player in the world and has just signed a new deal to stay in that spot. Clearly, the Penguins see the value in Kunitz. His age scared me a bit, but I'm fairly sure that over the three-year window Kunitz will be fine and will put up decent numbers.

Parise is one of my favourite players to watch, but from a fantasy standpoint he seems to have slowed down a bit.

Part of that is the low-scoring style in Minny. And we can say all we want that the Wild will score more eventually...but they haven't done it yet. Contrast that to Pittsburgh, where the Penguins scores in bushels. That's a factor. Part of it is coming back from a knee injury, then having that broken foot earlier. There's a number of factors - but suffice it to say, I don't see Parise as a PPG guy anymore. I just don't. I think he's a legit 65-70pt guy, but I'm not sure he's worth more than that anymore.

As for your original question - YES, I would think having three Penguins in a keep-7 is a lot. But otherwise, I'm fine with Kunitz for Parise...in the right circumstances

Dobber Sports Genius

Judging by your sig looks like neither Parise nor Kunitz would factor into your keepers, if that is the case then I would say make the deal and ride Kunitz for the rest of the year. Having said that, is the guy you are trading with looking to upgrade his keepers from Kunitz to Parise for next season? If he is then you should be at an advantage in the trade department and should look to him to sweeten the deal a bit more.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd keep Parise. Either he or Kunitz would be your 7th keeper and I'm just not that confident Kunitz can keep up this pace (he's 35) the next few years. Plus, I think Parise would have more trade value and you could move him beyond this year for a superior player to Kunitz.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by brakli View Post
    Plus, I think Parise would have more trade value and you could move him beyond this year for a superior player to Kunitz.
    I meant to mention this, too.

Parise does still have bigtime name value to plenty of people. Don't just do the deal straight-up. See what else you might be able to get for him.

Two posts above, I detailed why I didn't mind a Parise-Kunitz transfer (or essentially a Parise-Kunitz trade). I'm totally fine with it, thought it through fully...but was hanging out with a few fellow GMs this past weekend, and they all think I got fleeced in my Parise trade this year. Maybe I did...

But the point is, make sure you get as much as you can for Parise.

Dobber Sports Wizard

have you tried shopping Parise to other owners

i feel like Parise is one of those guys that is pretty horribly overrated

Kunitz is a decent return on him, but you might be able to do better, that is of course unless you have already tried to do better

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Initiate

your team is ridiculous for a 15 team keeper.

I think kunitz is a good return. who cares if you have three pens. you would have three good assets
    L1: 14T keep 10 H2H 12F/6D/2G/3B
    P Cats: g/a/+/-/pim/sog/bs/stp/hits
    G Cats: w/sv/so/gaa/sv%

F: tarasenko,yamamoto,p kane,backstrom, zuccarello,gourde,lafreniere,w karlsson,iafallo,bunting,khaira,brown,pageau,vorac ek, palat,verhaeghe
    D: klingberg,theodore,gudas,burns
    G: varlomov,talbot,shesterkin
    IR: radulov,pettersson

L2: 10T keep 10 H2H
    P Cats: g/a/+/-/pim/sog/bs/stp/hits
    G Cats: w/sv/so/gaa/sv%

F: w. karlsson,mcdavid,kreider,nylander,hoffman,giroux,d ebrincat,reinhart,hintz,verhaeghe,tuch,iafallo,tol vanen,robertson
    D: klingberg,trouba,yandle,faulk,letang
    G: shesterkin,sorokin,lankinen,lehner
    IR: seguin,petterson,fleury