Thread: Ovie Blockbuster

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ovie Blockbuster

I'm thinking of lobbing a hail mary to try and catch the leader in my pool. I'm doing well in G, A and Pts, and could stand to gain more in +/1 and PIMs (thought I don't want to lose much in points). I'm thinking of one of the following deals to shake things up (hating Purcell as my 3rd RW), though I don't know if the guy will accept either.

Give Ovechkin, Nichushkin, Wideman
    Get Wheeler, Stewart, Shattenkirk

This deal hurts in goals, is neutral in points, but should help in +/-, assists, and PIMs. Especially considering Nichushkin is on my bench with Johnson occupying my rookie spot. I don't think he'll like Wideman being the D I give back, but in this deal I think Byfuglien, Chara or OEL is way too much.

Give Ovechkin, Nichushkin, Byfuglien, Nyquist
    Get Wheeler, Stewart, Shattenkirk, Hall

I doubt he does this deal, and I'm having trouble evaluating it. He originally offered me this deal minus the Nyquist/Hall swap, but I felt that it hurt me too much in G and Pts.

Appreciate any thoughts on these deals specifically, or getting best value for Ovie, unless of course you think he will explode after the break.
    Redraft 12-team Roto with 1 waiver/day ($5), start 3 at each F position, 5 D, 1 rookie, 2 Goalies, 5 Reserves
    Player Cats = G,A,Pts,PIMs,+/- (PIMs worth 50%, and +/- worth 25% compared to the other player cats)
    Goalie Cats (worth half what player cats are) = W,GAA,S%,SO (SO worth 25% of what player cats are)
    C: Tavares,Thomas,Johnston,Lindholm(Res),Zacha(Res)
    LW: Robertson,Fiala,Svechnikov,Lafreniere(Res)
    RW: Nylander,Necas,Reinhart
    Rook: Knies,Carlsson(Res)
    D: Josi,Bouchard,Weegar,Forsling,Hanifin,Durzi(Res)
    G:Hellebuyck,Demko

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Ovie Blockbuster

Even in 1 year leagues I think you are getting a real poor return for Ovie in both deals.

Maybe look to the rest of the league to gauge what kind of return you could get.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Giant

In your format (practically a pts-only, with no PPP or SOG), I see the trade as follows:

Ovechkin --> Wheeler (Ovechkin will get maybe 15-20 points more than Wheeler down the road IF he catches fire like he usually does at this time. Still, with no PPP or SOG, Ovie is not as valuable as he usually is)
    Nichushkin --> Stewart (Stewart will give you a couple more points and some needed PIMS)
    Wideman --> Shattenkirk (Shatty should get about 10 points more than Wideman down the road)

Basically, you would be spreading out your gained points and having a more ''secure'' output by pulling the trigger on this one. In a 1-year, in your format, I would be inclined to do this move.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks - I like that insight. Further detail - Stewart would actually be replacing Purcell as my 3rd RW, so I might lose a handful of points there. My thinking is that the PIMs that I'm adding make that tradeoff acceptable. Right now, unless Nichushkin catches fire, he's my backup rookie/RW if Johnson tails off and Purcell continues to disappoint. I still think the move is a worthwhile gamble, as I also should gain in +/-, though I don't like basing deals on that assumption. I'd hate to trade Ovie unless it clearly helps my lineup overall.
    Redraft 12-team Roto with 1 waiver/day ($5), start 3 at each F position, 5 D, 1 rookie, 2 Goalies, 5 Reserves
    Player Cats = G,A,Pts,PIMs,+/- (PIMs worth 50%, and +/- worth 25% compared to the other player cats)
    Goalie Cats (worth half what player cats are) = W,GAA,S%,SO (SO worth 25% of what player cats are)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've also got a guy knocking on my door about St. Loius. He's offering Okposo, Nielsen and Hudler for St. Louis, Roussel and Mike Richards. I don't think thats enough, but wondering whether folks think Okposo is the real deal (especially without Tavares). If you'd asked me a week ago, it would have been more tempting than now.