Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keep Byfuglien or Weber?

Banned

Default Keep Byfuglien or Weber?

League:

Yahoo, 12 team H2H, weekly rosters: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4 BN. Keep 3.

Cats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK

I'm keeping Stamkos and Quick already, but I'm torn between Byfuglien and Weber. I'm leaning towards Weber, but Byfuglien is intriguing if he keeps playing forward. Byfuglien has been more valuable this year, but as a forward he doesn't block shots so that would hurt in my league if he continues to play up front. He'll rack up the hits though. Weber leads the league in goals, provides a lot of hits, a lot of blocks, better +/-, etc.

My whole squad if anybody think I should be keeping somebody else:

Stamkos
    Datsyuk
    Bergeron
    Stepan
    B. Ryan
    O'Reilly
    Backes
    Callahan
    Brown
    Letang
    Gudas
    Edler

Quick
    Luongo

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Keep Byfuglien or Weber?

Whew tough call, I'd probably edge Weber more so becasue I think Buff would be an easier redraft. I could see an argument for keeping Ryan as well instead of either, as I find in keeper leagues with a low minimum keeper amount only the top 2-3 D seem to be kept so they are a bit easier to draft, although his season to date is really making it hard to want to include him.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Weber is the right choice, but when do you need to decide? There have been rumors of both Weber and Buff being traded at the deadline or in the offseason. In terms of position, I think Buff ultimately spends the majority of his time at D going forward, and I think a Weber trade can only increase his value or keep it level. But depending on the team, a Buff trade could really help or hurt his value. Like going to Boston would help his +/- but probably hurt his points, that's the place he's been most rumored.

Long-winded way of saying I agree with you on Weber, unless a very favorable trade happens for Buff

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Tough choice. I'd keep Weber right now. As has been said, they're both involved in trade rumors and I think Weber's value will only increase if he's traded. I also think Weber's name carries more value in trades, so you could get slightly more in return if you choose that route.

If you chose not to keep a D, I think you should take a long look at Backes, who is a monster with your league settings

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    Whew tough call, I'd probably edge Weber more so becasue I think Buff would be an easier redraft. I could see an argument for keeping Ryan as well instead of either, as I find in keeper leagues with a low minimum keeper amount only the top 2-3 D seem to be kept so they are a bit easier to draft, although his season to date is really making it hard to want to include him.
    I'm not really considering Ryan as I think he'll be really easy to re-draft and he has value but more in the middle-end of the Top 100 range. Right now in my league, he's ranked 93rd on FHG, whereas Byfugilen is actually 3rd and Weber is 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I think Weber is the right choice, but when do you need to decide? There have been rumors of both Weber and Buff being traded at the deadline or in the offseason. In terms of position, I think Buff ultimately spends the majority of his time at D going forward, and I think a Weber trade can only increase his value or keep it level. But depending on the team, a Buff trade could really help or hurt his value. Like going to Boston would help his +/- but probably hurt his points, that's the place he's been most rumored.

Long-winded way of saying I agree with you on Weber, unless a very favorable trade happens for Buff
    We have until the start of our playoffs, 3 weeks from now.

One thing I am also considering is keeping both and not keeping Quick, as I think a lot of teams are not keeping a goalie for some reason. One guy for example is keeping Ovechking, Perry, and Getzlaf, so his goalies (Price, Rask, Bernier) are being put back in the draft.

While I agree Backes is generally a monster in these settings, I by-passed that on the basis that Ev knows his league better than anyone on here commenting, so I assume he knows which of Ryan and Backes would be a better producer. A very good suggestion to consider though, Backes is generally becomes more of a monster the more categories that are added.

Quote Originally Posted by brakli View Post
    Tough choice. I'd keep Weber right now. As has been said, they're both involved in trade rumors and I think Weber's value will only increase if he's traded. I also think Weber's name carries more value in trades, so you could get slightly more in return if you choose that route.

If you chose not to keep a D, I think you should take a long look at Backes, who is a monster with your league settings
    Edit, I just realized another poster suggested Ryan and not Ev, my apologies.

Banned

Thanks. Backes is definitely a monster here, but I think I can draft him again as a lot of people in this league on focus on the goals, assists, points and forget about the peripherals.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Thanks. Backes is definitely a monster here, but I think I can draft him again as a lot of people in this league on focus on the goals, assists, points and forget about the peripherals.
    Wasn't trying to discount your fantasy IQ. Just wanted to make sure all avenues were being considered.

With that being said, I'll stick with Weber.

Based on the recent information (knowing Rask, Price, Quick, Luongo, and Bernier how I would rank them) would all be available in the draft, and other teams will either be throwing goalies back too or else not be picking on in the first couple rounds, I think it is more value to your team not keeping Quick, especially with him showing he's maybe not as elite as originally thought. Which would likely boil it down to Weber, Backes, and Buff, and I would choose Weber and whichever of the other two has performed better in your setup. I think what each is doing now is basically what they will keep doing, so if Backes is outpreforming Buff right now he will continue to do so and vice-versa.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Guess I am in the minority here and would say Byfuglien. I may be biased as I have buff, but at the same time I'm not a big fan of him (in reality) so I don't think I am biased. His category coverage is incredible, and if he gets traded you'll see a boost in his +/-.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Based on the recent information (knowing Rask, Price, Quick, Luongo, and Bernier how I would rank them) would all be available in the draft, and other teams will either be throwing goalies back too or else not be picking on in the first couple rounds, I think it is more value to your team not keeping Quick, especially with him showing he's maybe not as elite as originally thought. Which would likely boil it down to Weber, Backes, and Buff, and I would choose Weber and whichever of the other two has performed better in your setup. I think what each is doing now is basically what they will keep doing, so if Backes is outpreforming Buff right now he will continue to do so and vice-versa.
    Thanks for the input. Byfuglien is outperforming Backes right now.

**** I wish I could keep 4.

Here are the other goalies I think will be available (* for 100%): Howard*, Hiller*, Lehntonen, two of Crawford/Bishop/Varlamov, two of Miller/Schneider/Rinne, one of Anderson/Halak

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't trying to discount your fantasy IQ. Just wanted to make sure all avenues were being considered.

With that being said, I'll stick with Weber.
    Didn't think you were. Thanks for the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Guess I am in the minority here and would say Byfuglien. I may be biased as I have buff, but at the same time I'm not a big fan of him (in reality) so I don't think I am biased. His category coverage is incredible, and if he gets traded you'll see a boost in his +/-.
    Only thing I'm worried about is a change of role back to Chicago Byfuglien.

Dobber Sports Deity

Personally I would go with Weber. I love what Byfuglien is doing this year (I own him in a couple of my pools, points only and multi-cat) and has certainly earned a spot in your keepers but I just think Weber is the safer bet to keep up the performance you are seeing. I am not as confident Buff will play at this level. Not saying he will suddenly turn into a bum or anything, but I am less confident in him keeping up this pace then I am in Weber staying the steady-eddy that he is.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev
    - - - Updated - - -

Only thing I'm worried about is a change of role back to Chicago Byfuglien.
    Can't be worried about that. That was long ago, a different team, and early in his career. The past 4 seasons his WORST point pace has been 53 points... pretty remarkable stuff.

And he hit 53 points twice in the past 3 years, was on pace for 53 last year, and is on pace for 58 this year. So, he should keep that pace going. Pretty consistent year-over-year in recent history.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Personally I would go with Weber. I love what Byfuglien is doing this year (I own him in a couple of my pools, points only and multi-cat) and has certainly earned a spot in your keepers but I just think Weber is the safer bet to keep up the performance you are seeing. I am not as confident Buff will play at this level. Not saying he will suddenly turn into a bum or anything, but I am less confident in him keeping up this pace then I am in Weber staying the steady-eddy that he is.
    He's on pace for 58 points, and has averaged a pace of 53 points over the past 3 years. And now he's playing forward. So yes, he can keep this pace up. Not saying he is the unanimous decision (as there is a solid argument for either player), but I'm just saying you need to consider his current pace as his typical pace, since history shows that.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    He's on pace for 58 points, and has averaged a pace of 53 points over the past 3 years. And now he's playing forward. So yes, he can keep this pace up. Not saying he is the unanimous decision (as there is a solid argument for either player), but I'm just saying you need to consider his current pace as his typical pace, since history shows that.

I get that, but this also isn't a points only league. Weber has averaged a pace of 49 pts the past 3 years and plays on a weaker offensive team. Weber hits more, blocks more and a better +/- guy then Buff. He also has averaged a hair more PPP then Buff the past 3 years. Buff hits more and takes more SOG.

All in all, its a tough decision. You can argue for both, no doubt. I am just more confident in Weber then I am Buff. As I say, I own Buff in a couple of my leagues and I am a fan but I simply prefer Weber in this format more.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."