Thread: Selanne

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Selanne

I made a pitch for Selanne in my keeper league. The guy that has him will be tight on his budget and Selanne has a $4 million contract for one more season in our league. If I can get him, and he does retire, I only have to pay half his salary ($2 million), a chance I am willing to take if I can move the right players.

I have offered him Penner (he has Getzlaf and Perry), Boyes and Kovalev too start, I think he may choose to substitute another player for Kovalev, but I wanted to leave some room to negotiate.

I also asked for his first round pick (2nd overall) in our entry draft. We have nine managers and do two rounds of players not already in our league. I figure if he does retire, I at least get the pick which would get me one of Kane, Cherapanov or Espisito.

Is Selanne worth the risk? I have a hunch he will take one more shot at a repeat.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re:Selanne

Selanne will play next season for sure. (I hope for you)I\'m sure that he can still play at least for an extra year. Where ever he\'s playing philly Anaheim and even in Montreal.

my 2 cent is telling me: 2 millions.... for 75 pts-80 pts it\'s worthed!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Selanne will retire. That is why Anahiem signed Bertuzzi because they knew that Selanne is gone. On the chance that he does come back to the NHL then wait until he signs somewhere before you trade for him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

IF u wait you wont get him...I have a feeling he is going to come back for a chance at a repeat. Even with the signing of Bertuzzi, which I think was insurance if Teemu did hang it up, and Scneider, if Selanne returns he has an even better chance to repeat. Sure if Neidermeyer retires that will hurt, but Scnieder has the talent to plug half of that hole and I think with the load of young guns Anaheim has a repeat could very well be in the cards.

GoJetsGO - I think the trade u offered him he wont do b/c of the fact you are trying to grab his first pick. Try to go simpler and just offer him Penner for Selanne straight up...see what he combats with. If you are willing to risk it, then I would even give up Boyes/Penner to grab him as there are not too many 80+ players in the league.

blindedbyfear

What\'s your first round pick? I assume you mean swapping 1sts, not you getting his and him getting none?

I\'d probably do that with the swap of picks. Without, maybe Penner straightup. Or you could make it conditional on if he comes back. Then, of course, you probably pay more, so it\'s not as good for you.

I don\'t follow the Ducks closely enough to know the likelihood of him coming back but I\'ve got to think he\'s got a decent chance of taking one more run. I\'d try and get him if I could.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

blindedbyfear wrote:
    What\'s your first round pick?
    I have the fifth pick.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

try and aquire another player that he has that is of some interest to you. Offer him your three players for Selanne and another guy. Just incase Selanne does retire you still have another guy from that trade to keep or possibly flip to somebody else that might want him. You are smart to deal him Penner if he already has the other two. I don\'t agree with having a entire line on my team but in some cases it is a great option.. Ala.. Heatley, Alffie, Spezza...
    Z..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have a feeling too that Teemu will come back, based on the old theory : the longer it takes to make an announcement, the better it is. Would I trade to get him ? Well, if you think you can be a contender this year, absolutely, without overpaying, though.

If you can swap the 1st round picks, that could get interesting. Boyes and Penner will be good players, but never in the same range as a Selanne. If you have enough depth to face a possible retirement, than I\'d do it. It\'s not like if you were giving him a budding star like Radulov, Getzlaf or Backstrom : Penner and Boyes are nowhere near this level, will never be, in my opinion. Plus, you\'re getting rid of Kovalev ; watch out, that may be the insulting part of the deal for your trade partner.

But for sure, you gotta protect yourself, too, and make sure you can count on something if Teemu waves goodbye.