Thread: Studs & Duds - Wednesday 10/23

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Studs & Duds - Wednesday 10/23

Studs

Milan Lucic
    There’s no better way to make the studs list than to get hit in the face with a puck and come back to finish the night with two goals and one assist. Milan’s second goal came when he passed the puck at the blue line to Iginla, skated around the Sabres defense, and tapped in a perfectly placed pass from Jarome before slamming hard into the boards. He got up looking like he was in pain with his new facial laceration clearly visible. Something tells me he liked it, as if to say “That’s Milan Lucic hockey baby”.

Jason Spezza
    In the Daniel Alfredsson battle, Jason Spezza made sure the old captain knew that the new captain was going to show him what he was missed by leaving Ottawa. Spezza was actually really good all game. He scored his first goal when Detroit gave him about three hours at the top of the right circle. After much deliberation Spezza decided to slap one home past Jimmy Howard which would turn out to be the eventual game-winner. His second goal was a beauty dump in that he chased down and fired home to pretty much deflate any chance the Red Wings had for a comeback.

Craig Anderson
    When your team wins 6-1 it’s tough to crack the top three stars for the night but Anderson looked strong the entire game. Detroit kept coming and Anderson kept closing the door. Although the Sens won by five goals, there were times the game could have been tied or brought to within one goal but he shut door including his sprawling save on Datsyuk. His only gaffe was when Bertuzzi snuck one in from behind the net; otherwise Anderson stopped 31 of 32 for a stellar victory.

Duds

Jimmy Howard
    It only took 14 minutes for Jimmy to get the call to the bench after allowing three goals on eight shots. They weren’t all his fault but he wasn’t exactly stealing the show for his boys in red who desperately needed a shutout from their goalie to have any realistic shot in this one. His replacement, Gustavsson, fared slightly better if you want to call it that, stopping 17 of 20 in the loss.

John Scott
    In person hearing scheduled. You know what that means – shot to the head. Scott’s impressive boxscore reads five minutes played and 15 penalty minutes that were a result of delivering a late elbow to the head on Loui Eriksson’s dump in from center ice. Eriksson left the game and remained in Buffalo overnight. Scott may receive 10+ for this one, we will find out shortly.

Daniel Alfredsson
    I like Alfredsson and I certainly don’t blame him in joining fellow countrymen for one last hurrah in Detroit and a shot at the cup. On top of that, Alfredsson was red hot of late but last night he just didn’t bring it. In 16 minutes he registered 2 shots on goal and one penalty. While Spezza, Ryan, and company went to work on their ex-captain, Alfie didn’t have much of a response. The teams will face each other three more times this season so let’s hope Daniel uses last nights performance as motivation for the next time he faces his former teammates.
    Last edited by BenTrovato; October 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Nice writeup, but I disagree with Scott being a dud. For anyone that has him in H2H leagues or roto leagues, he picked up 10 Pims and five hits yesterday. That's pretty much what you hope to get out of him.

And yes, I know about the hit, but from a fantasy perspective, he delivered last night.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Nice writeup, but I disagree with Scott being a dud. For anyone that has him in H2H leagues or roto leagues, he picked up 10 Pims and five hits yesterday. That's pretty much what you hope to get out of him.

And yes, I know about the hit, but from a fantasy perspective, he delivered last night.
    Thanks! True, that's a valid point. I guess all I would say is that if he is able to deliver that every so often then that's what you want out of him but getting a lengthy suspension doesn't really help any fantasy owners.