Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal in Carolina?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default What's the deal in Carolina?

Just noticing that Jeff Skinner is skating with Riley Nash and Radek Dvorak. And in the first game Skinner only received 11 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time and 13:35 total, whereas tonight he got 19:19

And Nathan Gerbe is averaging like 19 minutes of ice time in their first two games.

What's Kirk Muller doing? Anyone have any insight? Things seem weird in Carolina.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Not sure, but Skinner seems motivated. Another two points today.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He's seeing players put it all on the line and rewarding them with ice time, and he's seeing players who don't seem to be putting out enough effort so he's cutting them back. Seasons early, I assume Skinner will keep getting the ice time and putting the points up.

In my opinion Carolina isn't that bad of a team, lots of potential and could be a dark horse this year if they can really get things rolling.
    12 Team Yahoo H2H Cash League, Daily Line Set Keep ANY 5.
    G-5, A-3, PPP-1, SHP-2, SOG-.4, HIT-.3, BLK-.5, FOW-.1, FOL-(-.065).
    W-6, SO-4, SV-.25, GA-(-1.25), L-(-1).

[2]C: Matthews, Kempe(RW)
    [2]LW: Svech(RW), Batherson(RW),
    [2]RW: Rantanen, Nichushkin(LW)

[4]D: Dahlin, Carlson, Toews, Krug

[2]G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

[4]B: Ingram(G), Wedgewood(G), McTavish(C/LW), Moore(LW/RW),

[2]IR+: Theodore(D)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Just noticing that Jeff Skinner is skating with Riley Nash and Radek Dvorak. And in the first game Skinner only received 11 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time and 13:35 total, whereas tonight he got 19:19

And Nathan Gerbe is averaging like 19 minutes of ice time in their first two games.

What's Kirk Muller doing? Anyone have any insight? Things seem weird in Carolina.
    Have you watched Gerbe play? He's look pretty good, lots of compete.

I'm not too sure what to make of Skinner, frankly. It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina traded him...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Have you watched Gerbe play? He's look pretty good, lots of compete.

I'm not too sure what to make of Skinner, frankly. It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina traded him...
    Naw I haven't other than a few games here and there when he was in Buffalo. Reason why I found it so odd is just because in Buffalo he couldn't stick but somehow in Carolina he's getting 20 minutes of TOI a night.

As for Skinner, yeah I dunno. He's got 3 points in 2 games which is obviously solid but I'm wondering if I should be looking to sell high. Not a fan of how he's playing with randoms like Nash and Dvorak.

Banned

Skinner has looked great again this year. He is on the third line because he doesn't fit on the first line and he doesn't fit on the second line. The top line is set with big Eric, Semin and Tlusty. And the Stall jr. line is the defensive minded line that plays tough minutes against the other teams big guns. They tried Skinner on the second line last year and he is too weak defensively to be there. They talked on the broadcast today about how Muller wants J. Staal to worry about defence this year and to forget about scoring goals. He wasn't happy with his game last year because he wasn't as good defensively as he had been in the past. This year, the Canes have put together a third line that will face easier competition and be relied on to put up some points. Lindholm was on this line for most of the pre-season and will likely end up here again at some point. He was playing great today before getting injured. Back to Skinner - he looked fantastic. If he can stay healthy, he will put up a lot of points this year.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Skinner has looked great again this year. He is on the third line because he doesn't fit on the first line and he doesn't fit on the second line. The top line is set with big Eric, Semin and Tlusty. And the Stall jr. line is the defensive minded line that plays tough minutes against the other teams big guns. They tried Skinner on the second line last year and he is too weak defensively to be there. They talked on the broadcast today about how Muller wants J. Staal to worry about defence this year and to forget about scoring goals. He wasn't happy with his game last year because he wasn't as good defensively as he had been in the past. This year, the Canes have put together a third line that will face easier competition and be relied on to put up some points. Lindholm was on this line for most of the pre-season and will likely end up here again at some point. He was playing great today before getting injured. Back to Skinner - he looked fantastic. If he can stay healthy, he will put up a lot of points this year.
    Thanks for the analysis bud, good to hear that he's playing well.

I just wonder how he's going to add up the points though...if Carolina had a bit more depth I'd feel more comfortable with him sticking around on that third line but playing with Nash and Dvorak is gross lol. Maybe Ruutu gets a spot on that line when he comes back?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks for the analysis bud, good to hear that he's playing well.

I just wonder how he's going to add up the points though...if Carolina had a bit more depth I'd feel more comfortable with him sticking around on that third line but playing with Nash and Dvorak is gross lol. Maybe Ruutu gets a spot on that line when he comes back?
    As 27Blue said, the initial plan was to have Lindholm center the 3rd line but since he missed most of the pre-season due to an injury, they are easing him in. He still might end up there (he was back on the bench after he got slashed and seemed ready to play so I expect him back next game). Now the big question is: if that happens, how much can you count on a rookie to be a solid playmaker for Skinner? Lindholm is uber-talented but still there are lots of questions marks.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Guru

Ruutu should be on the 2nd line with Jordan Staal and Nathan Gerbe once he gets back in the action.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Anybody know what's up with Jay Harrison?
    He played just 13min vs. Philly.!

But, at the same time, he seems to be one of their better defensemen and he did get a PPP the other night. I have him rostered in a couple leagues.

Did he get injured in the PHI game?
    Or did the coach bench him? (He was +2, so I wouldn't think he did)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Muller should probably just be canned with the way he's coached that team anyways and save us all this speculation.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Lol and hire laviolette! Truth be told..canes look as per usual hockey. When they play bad teams and they're even worse, when they play up to good teams (if for whatever reason) they're motivated enough (looking at you semin) they play exciting hockey where I could believe they'll be over .500 for the season. Playoff bound, even? I'm happy we finally got someone to lighten ward's load and am not happy about taking Lindholm over Monahan...but....I dunno he already strikes me as injury prone. Just my opine, of course. Gerbe is given new life and the canes love the small underrated guys and he seems to take his chances rather than making the mistake of one pass too many, so he will be given some great ice time...but we need GRIT with SKILL up front! Can't believe still saying this Fire JR
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Banned

Carolina is following in the footsteps of Edmonton and tanking every year to get good draft picks...

Dobber Sports Stud

I dont know why tehy can't just run Semin-Staal-Skinner and put Tlusty back on the third line where he belongs...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    I dont know why tehy can't just run Semin-Staal-Skinner and put Tlusty back on the third line where he belongs...
    As a Skinner owner I'd love that but Tlusty-Staal-Semin was arguably one of the best lines last year in the entire NHL. They play well off of each other and it gives the Hurricanes an opportunity to spread their scoring out a bit.

I still remember the days though, when I thought Skinner would be a permanent fixture beside Eric Staal. Damn that was a long time ago lol...