Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Day of the draft blockbuster offer! Need help.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Day of the draft blockbuster offer! Need help.

14 team H2H points and we keep 2F, 1D, 1G. I sold off picks last year to "go for it" so my team suffered as I didn't have many early picks. I just got offered Letang, Nash. 1st and a 2nd for OV! I know OV is a beast but these 2 are no slouches plus 2 extra picks to start the year with. Here's my squad
    C-huberdeau, Eric staal
    LW-OV, fleishman
    RW-jagr, Purcell
    D-chara, gonchar, jackman, del zotto
    G-leghtonen, McDonald
    Bench-Brendan morrow STL, turris, clarkson, Luke schenn

Dobber Sports Apprentice

3 points for every Goal ALL
    1 point for every Power Play Goal ALL
    5 points for every Short Handed Goal ALL
    3 points for every Short Handed Assist ALL
    2 points for every Assist ALL
    Defense
    1 point for every 5 Hits (0.2 per) ALL
    1 point for every 5 Blocks (0.2 per) ALL
    Goaltending
    3 points for every Win G
    -3 points for every Loss G
    -2 points for every OT Loss G
    5 points for every Shutout G
    1 point for every 5 Saves (0.2 per) G
    -1 point for every Goal Against

Dobber Sports Genius

Keep Ovie , Letang is soon going to be a designated "bandaid" boy.
    Nash , allthough underated in somes opinions , is not "all that".
    The picks are for sure a tempting tipping offer but , you have some solid players.
    Build around your players and be glad you have one of the top 3 keepers/players in
    the NHL.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Prodigy

When I see (and make) offers like this, the question that needs to always be asked is... WHY?

Ovie is awesome, but why would someone be willing to make that offer. If someone covets him that much... Imagine what they'll pay when he is dominating all the stats across the board.

If someone is willing to pay so much, isn't it better to have the guy another GM would pay through the roof for?!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yes it's always best to get the "best player" in the deal especially when he's a top 5 in the league! I'm a pens fan so naturally I like letang, Nash is a great goal scorer and of course 2 early picks look nice for leverage at the deadline. We only keep 4 2 of them being forewords so I thought this was an exception to my rule of getting the best guy...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So everyone agreeing that I should keep OV here?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd much prefer Nash and Letang to Ovy. In a Keep 1 D format, having Letang is a huge edge. And Nash is a great forward and while he's no Ovy, he is a very great replacement when you are adding Letang. As far as your keepers it can be
    Ovy, Staal,Chara
    or
    Nash,Staal,Letang
    I'll take the Nash side..especially if you are getting picks on top.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

A lot of league-specific things to think about here:

1) Not the most important consideration but one to think about. You get to keep 2 F and only 1 D. OV, EStaal, & Chara currently. If you lose OV, you are going to keep Nash, EStaal, and then choose btw Chara/Letang (assume you choose Letang but it's a decision).

2) How to think about the deal. You have got to look at it like will the production you lose from Ovi vs Nash (and Nash is pretty good to makeup the difference) be made up for by having Letang over the D you drop + the value of 1st rounder + value of 2nd rounder.

This is a little more complicated because you are in a G weighted league and OV is a premier G scorer. You're going to have to make your own prediction on this but you could argue OV will score ~10 more G's than Nash this year, and have a few more PP points, but they are probably close to a wash on A. However, the pace so far is for more out of OV (hot start) and not as much out of Nash (slow start) but this is only a cpl games and prediction for rest of season can obviously be much much different.

So how much value are you going to get out of Letang vs the D you drop, plus the 1st and 2nd rnd'rs you pick up. Will you be able to makeup the ~10 goals or it looks like that translates to ~30 total points? That's really the question you want to ask yourself.

First looking at the deal I was like no way keep OV, but after looking at the #s and your situation with the draft picks, I'm leaning toward trading him as much as my gut says not to.
    Yr 3 of 5 Yr - KEEP 4, 12 Manager, H2H - Category

16 man roster
    Daily ice: 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 3 D, 2 G

Player Cats: G, A, PPG, PPA, SHP, GWG, +/-, PIM
    Goalie Cats: W, GAA, Sv%, SO (3 min starts/wk)

My Team (KEEPERS IN CAPS):
    G: RASK, Luongo
    D: Weber, Chara, Kronwall
    TOEWS C
    GETZLAF C
    Brassard C
    Datsyuk C,LW
    COUTURE C,LW
    Cammalleri C,LW
    Backes C,RW
    Franzen LW,RW (IR)
    Vertseeg LW,RW (IR)
    Roussel LW
    Okposo RW
    Iginla RW

Traded Away: 5th Round 2015
    Traded For: 7th Round 2015

Dobber Sports Apprentice

That's exactly how I feel! OV might lead the league in goals and PP goals but letang is no slouch, Nash is top 30 min, and the 2 picks make it so much more enticing... Ugh what to do, what to do!

Dobber Sports Giant

In such a limited keeper format, you HAVE to keep Ovechkin.

You have 2 more solid years with Chara so make it your mission to find a replacement by then (try to land a young prospect that hasn't fully blossomed yet or taget a team that has 2 good D's and sacrifice your offense to land that player).

Lehtonen is a good keeper, but I might be inclined to try to upgrade him as well.

Either, way, I would keep Ovechkin, even in a 2 ++ for 1 as tempting as that one...

Just for kicks, what can those picks get you next year?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This year 1st round was guys like hossa, sharp, parise, backstrom (was), gaborick, 2nd round was carter, Bergeron, lupal, pavelski

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus1717 View Post
    This year 1st round was guys like hossa, sharp, parise, backstrom (was), gaborick, 2nd round was carter, Bergeron, lupal, pavelski
    Hmmm, guys like Backstrom eh? I may reconsider my answer then. Keeping Backstrom (for example) and landing a top D in Letang is a better tradeoff.

Any chance you can predict who may be available come next year?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Probably close to the same! A bunch if guys took youngins really early and I think backstrom was near the end of rd 1

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus1717 View Post
    Probably close to the same! A bunch if guys took youngins really early and I think backstrom was near the end of rd 1
    When you say "youngins" - do you mean the 2013 draft class, or just young NHL'ers. Because the 2014 draft is not as strong in top end talent. So projecting next year might go a little differently based on what you mean by "youngins"...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

After looking over it again they didn't "go young" it was guys like Mackinnon, RNH, kadri, and yakupov that went by round 2 but nothing totally out of the ordinary.