Thread: Pick Up Halak? Drop Clowe or existing goalie? Thinking all sorts of crazy things.+REP

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Pick Up Halak? Drop Clowe or existing goalie? Thinking all sorts of crazy things.+REP

Halak is available in my pool, as I'm guessing everyone is worried about his starts vs. Elliot(also available in my pool)... I've already got 4 goalies, not all stars to be sure... But was thinking of picking up Halak and maybe even holding on to my other goalies to see where they all stand in 2-3 weeks... So I was actually thinking of dropping Clowe in favor of Halak, but that would have me holding 5 frigin goalies, which is pretty ridiculous I suppose...

What do you guys think? Is Halak a better option than Dubnyk or Thomas? or should I grab him and stash all these goalies to see how things pan out, at the expense of a fringe winger for my squad, and then drop/trade one of the goalies after the picture becomes a bit clearer in a couple weeks?

It's very early days, but I'm on top in my league at the moment thanks to some standout performances...

I realize this post seems a bit ridiculous, but I just feel like all 3 are a bit of an unknown at this point, so I kinda wanna grab 'em while I can and see what happens... (Halak/Dubnyk/Thomas)
    8 Team, One Year Y! Points Only: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN
    Forwards: G(3), A(2), +/-(1), PPP(1), PIM(.5), SOG(.4)
    Goalies: W(4), GA(-1), SV(.2), SO(2)

C: J.Spezza(C), L.Couture(C/LW), D.Backes(C/RW), M.Grabovski(C)
    LW: R.Nash(LW/RW), E.Kane(LW), M.Pacioretty(LW), M.Lucic(LW)
    RW: D.Brown(LW/RW), J.Franzen(LW/RW), D.Clarkson(RW), R.Vrbata(RW)
    Defence: P.K.Subban, D.Byfuglien, K.Yandle, D.Phaneuf, B.Burns, J.Wisniewski
    Goalies: H.Lundqvist, C.Anderson
    Bench: N.MacKinnon(C), T.Hertl(C), J.Halak(G), J.Bernier(G)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Pick Up Halak? Drop Clowe or existing goalie? Thinking all sorts of crazy things.+REP

Halak is available in my pool, as I'm guessing everyone is worried about his starts vs. Elliot(also available in my pool)... I've already got 4 goalies, not all stars to be sure... But was thinking of picking up Halak and maybe even holding on to my other goalies to see where they all stand in 2-3 weeks... So I was actually thinking of dropping Clowe in favor of Halak, but that would have me holding 5 frigin goalies, which is pretty ridiculous I suppose...

What do you guys think? Is Halak a better option than Dubnyk or Thomas? or should I grab him and stash all these goalies to see how things pan out, at the expense of a fringe winger for my squad, and then drop/trade one of the goalies after the picture becomes a bit clearer in a couple weeks?

It's very early days, but I'm on top in my league at the moment thanks to some standout performances...

I realize this post seems a bit ridiculous, but I just feel like all 3 are a bit of an unknown at this point, so I kinda wanna grab 'em while I can and see what happens... (Halak/Dubnyk/Thomas)

***Posted this in the one year player talk forum, but thought it might be worth posting it in here actually***

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think that if Halak stays healthy, he should provide some quality starts. He's hungry to re-establish himself after last year. I'd drop Clowe in favour of him. If he doesn't work out, just dump his ass.
    12 Team H2H -
    Start 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 3 UTIL, 3 G
    G, A, PPG, PPA, PIM, HIT - W, GAA, SV%, SO

C- Giroux (RW), Steen (LW), Ribeiro, Bjugstad, Hanzal
    LW- Tatar (RW), Kunitz, Dubinsky (C), Elias
    RW- Wheeler, Little (C), S Reinhart, Strome
    D- Byfuglien (RW), Doughty, Kronwall, Muzzin, Gostisbehere
    G- Quick, Allen, Enroth, McLehnney
    IR- Bobrovsky, Bjugstad, Gallagher

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yea, think I'll go with that... Not much risk, and potentially a very nice reward... Clowe is easily replaceable at this point... It takes up a roster spot from a forward of course, but you can always find a fringe guy on a hot streak at any point in the season... So I'll give it a couple weeks and see where things stand at that point... Thanks for the input...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd drop Thomas. Away from the Bruins, and with a year off to get rusty and creaky, I don't like his chances in Florida. But Halak is better than Dubnyk, too. I think he was extremely underrated going into this season. I got him very late in my main league, even after Elliott. His GAA will be elite, and SV% could go either way. StL doesn't allow a lot of shots, but the downside to that is their goalies don't get to pad their saves total with weak shots. But still, elite potential.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Halak

I grabbed him (I'm a Blues fan) off the waiver wire in one of my leagues as well, as Yahoo had him pretty low (and ranked lower than Elliott?) in their pre-season rankings. I think the potential for a big season is worth it.

The I think the Blues want him to be "the Man", but Hitch does like his tandems. I would expect a 60/40 split in favor of Halak this season, barring injuries (Halak) or confidence issues (Elliott).

I like Clowe, but it seems you could replace his stats if he's picked up. I'd do it too.
    18-team! H2H Keeper League (10-keepers)
    G, A, PTS, PIM, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, SOG, Hits, BLK (11)
    W, GAA, SV, SA, SV%, SO (6)

C: Giroux,Benn,
    Bjugstad,
    LW: Pavelski,Tatar,Roussel
    RW: MacKinnon,Rantanen,Simmonds,Wingels,
    D: Ekblad,Trouba,Hanifan,Phaneuf,Del Zotto,Gudas,
    G: Schneider,C.Anderson,Raanta

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah, I grabbed him alright... luckily, before his shutout last night... His potential was too good, to just let him sit in the FA pool...