Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trade Carle for Doughty?

The Great One

Default Trade Carle for Doughty?

Yeah +1 karma lockedge- very insightful (except for the kool aid reference which tequilamonster ruined for everybody- lol!).

It seems like 9 out of 10 times the consensus is to go with the prospect on these boards. As a defenseman in a botllenecked system I think your point is well put. Even without the logjam you could be looking at 5-6 years before a decent return.

If you can wait it out, go with Doughty. If not it depends on how much value you think Doughty can get you in a trade. I own Carle but if I thought I could land someone a bit more solid Id go for it. I dont think Doughty is a short term option but could b better trade bait for a re-building team.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thank for the insight! I tend to agree with you. I think it also depends if SJ signs Campbell. If not he might have another shot at running the PP. He is only 22 years old.
    We tend to forget but:

Campbells first two seasons: 02-03:65G/19pts 03/04 53G/11pts
    Markov first two seasons: 00-01 63G/23 pts 01/02 56G/24 pts
    Burns firts two seasons: 04-05 72G/16pts 06-07 77G/25
    Matt Carle first two seasons:06-07 77g/42pts 07-08 65g/15pts

I\'m not sure I\'m ready to pull the plug just yet!

Dobber Sports Guru

thank god lockedge stepped into this and gave a well-reasoned argument.

i would keep carle.

42 points doesn\'t just come out of nowhere. the kid has talent too.

i stated in a post quite a while ago that i was gonna be staying away from LA defensemen, just because of the sheer unpredictability of whose gonna get the PP time. as lockedge said, it could be any one of those 5 guys (vis, jj, harrold, doughty, preissing), and it gets even worse if they decide to play a forward at the point too.

Dobber Sports Pro

clinkers wrote:
    Thank for the insight! I tend to agree with you. I think it also depends if SJ signs Campbell. If not he might have another shot at running the PP. He is only 22 years old.
    We tend to forget but:

Campbells first two seasons: 02-03:65G/19pts 03/04 53G/11pts
    Markov first two seasons: 00-01 63G/23 pts 01/02 56G/24 pts
    Burns firts two seasons: 04-05 72G/16pts 06-07 77G/25
    Matt Carle first two seasons:06-07 77g/42pts 07-08 65g/15pts

I\'m not sure I\'m ready to pull the plug just yet!
    Aye. Actually, I think Campbell would short term hurt Carle, long term help him. Think Leetch and Kaberle, and what developed there. Carle(and the rest of San Jose\'s offensive dmen) need a mentor and Campbell could definitely help, even if he\'s not a 40 year old legend.
    If they sign Campbell, I still don\'t think 40 points is out of the question if he aligns on the 1st PP. 35 if he\'s on the 2nd PP, but he\'ll get increased opportunity and ice time this coming year.

And ultrawhiteness, good point. LA\'s D is quite unpredictable. I own Johnson because, well, management likes him too much for them to really pass on. Plus he has a year in already. Those like Harrold, Hickey, etc. have good shots, and will get good shots, but if they don\'t stick...there\'ll always be someone behind them.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin