Thread: Nyquist, Tatar, or bust?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Nyquist, Tatar, or bust?

Nyquist was often described as Detroit's best forward in the playoffs last year. He plays a strong puck possesion game, and while he is no Dats or Zets his game has been compared to theirs.... now Holland is quoted as saying Tatar is likley to make the team, Cleary re-signs and suddenly fantasy pundits are saying Nyquist may be headed down to the AHL. What gives?

So, what am I asking? Will Nyquist stick with the big club and if so, will he get top 6 minutes?

thanks in advance and as always rep given for thoughtful answers - back check
    Last edited by dmvincent; September 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
    14 team standard yahoo keeper league (82 games for 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, and 1G). 23 man roster. No farm.
    Plyer Cats = G, A, P, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, HTS, BLKS, SH%, PIM's
    Goal Cats = GAA, SV%, SHTS, W, and SO

C - Getzlaf, Toews, Stamkos, Giroux, B. Nelson
    RW - P. Kane, Coyle , Nyquist, Dubinsky
    LW - L. Eriksson, Pacioretty, Kreider, Schwartz
    D - Faulk, Klinberg, Brodie, Dekyser, Vatannan, Despres, Daley, Pouliot
    G - Crawford, Allen, Dubnyk

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I am high on Nyqist. He's the best young Detroit forward and COULD be as good as Dats and Zets. That said, I wouldn't draft him. I would keep an eye on him. He will go down to start the year because he is waiver exempt, but he is too good for the AHL. When it looks like he is gonna come back up, drop Dillon for him. You want this kid in a keeper league.

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with rataylor22. Its unfortunate that he dealt the hand he is right now. He is easily capable of being a top 6 forward right now but the spot just isn't there, and the fact he is still waiver eligible will mean he will be starting in the AHL this year.

To answer your question, I believe he will start in the AHL but its just a matter of time before he is a top 6 forward.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tatar needs to clear waiver to go to the AHL. This is why he will be in Detroit. Not the case for Nyquist for another year. The Franzen injury could be an opportunity for him to stay in the NHL for the beginning of the year.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Giant

Always be patient with Detroit prospects, especially European ones. They are like tree fruit... Detroit management only brings them up when they are ripe for the picking!

Unfortunately, Nyquist is practically ''ripe for the picking''; the only issue is the lack of a decent roster spot. Sit tight a while longer and you'll be happy he's on your squad at that point
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Nyquest and Tartar? Jesus christ, are you actively making an effort to **** up their names?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Nyquest and Tartar? Jesus christ, are you actively making an effort to **** up their names?
    Lol. I didn't even notice that. It autocorrected in my head. I hate that I commented on this thread now, it just encourages stuff like that.

Dobber Sports Stud

Tartar builds up pretty heavily when you don't brush, you would need some serious Nyquest to clean that up.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    Tartar builds up pretty heavily when you don't brush, you would need some serious Nyquest to clean that up.
    fish and chips with tartar sauce
    L1: 14T keep 10 H2H 12F/6D/2G/3B
    P Cats: g/a/+/-/pim/sog/bs/stp/hits
    G Cats: w/sv/so/gaa/sv%

F: tarasenko,yamamoto,p kane,backstrom, zuccarello,gourde,lafreniere,w karlsson,iafallo,bunting,khaira,brown,pageau,vorac ek, palat,verhaeghe
    D: klingberg,theodore,gudas,burns
    G: varlomov,talbot,shesterkin
    IR: radulov,pettersson

L2: 10T keep 10 H2H
    P Cats: g/a/+/-/pim/sog/bs/stp/hits
    G Cats: w/sv/so/gaa/sv%

F: w. karlsson,mcdavid,kreider,nylander,hoffman,giroux,d ebrincat,reinhart,hintz,verhaeghe,tuch,iafallo,tol vanen,robertson
    D: klingberg,trouba,yandle,faulk,letang
    G: shesterkin,sorokin,lankinen,lehner
    IR: seguin,petterson,fleury

Dobber Sports Apprentice

HAHA! I nearly lost it when I read this...awesome.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    That's awesome. I'm picking up a tube of Nyquist tomorrow, that's it. Now I'm self-conscious about the Tatar buildup on my teeth.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Okay okay, I have to admit those jokes were pretty funny...Anyway, I've fixed the thread and edited the OP's post so that it is gramatically correct for the most part.

Detroit is being patient with Nyquist because they can afford to be. As mentioned by franklin, Tatar would have to go through waivers if he was sent down.

There's no way either of these guys get top-six minutes with Detroit.

I'm very high on this kid and I think he will only get better with experience, but he's not worth a roster spot right now.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."