Thread: Ovechkin - does he tone it down this year?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Ovechkin - does he tone it down this year?

Does anyone think Ovy tones down the hitting, intensity etc. a bit this year to ensure he is healthy for the Olympics? I have second overall pick in a one-year league and it is between him and Stammer (figuring Crosby goes first).

Looked around and didn't see this topic in any recent threads.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Genius

He might be more serious but he'll be as aggressive as he always is. Hes the kind of guy who'll put his pride and passion out there every time he's on the ice.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Star

He's got something to prove this year so I'd lean towards no...he'll be the same.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm sure Ovechkin wants to bring it for Sochi, because what makes him elite like all other elite players is his competitive drive. For that reason alone, I don't see him taking his foot off the gas even to save himself for the Olympics in his home country (did Crosby hold back for Vancouver?). Here are his hits/game over the past five seasons (last Olympics bracketed): 2.5, 2.75, 3.0, 2.56, [3.0]. They've been remarkably consistant. The combination of goals, shots, and hits Ovi brings in multicat leagues is unparalleled (except maybe by E. Kane) even in his "off" years when he only scores 32 goals.

Dobber Sports Pro

Ovechkin will not change his style of play. His aggressive style is a big reason why he's able to put up more points. If anything, look for an increase in intensity. He loves his new coach and he loves being on the RW, plus it's an Olympic year. He's going to bring it.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Stud

Solid perspectives. Thanks guys!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Ovie was just miserable with Hunter...Oates lit the fire again...Ovie will be a force again this year.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Nobody thinks that Ribiero gone will have an impact? I could see possibly less G or PPP because of that. As far as hitting/intensity probably the same if not more. Also, I believe Washington will be playing tougher teams with the new alignment but even with a little regression, he's still a beast. Only time will tell, but I'd still take him 3rd after Crosby and Stamkos.
    Last edited by PatrickToews; September 19, 2013 at 7:39 AM.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Does anyone think Ovy tones down the hitting, intensity etc. a bit this year to ensure he is healthy for the Olympics? I have second overall pick in a one-year league and it is between him and Stammer (figuring Crosby goes first).

Looked around and didn't see this topic in any recent threads.

Cheers.
    What are your scoring categories? I assume it's a multi-category league by the question but want to make sure. If it's straight points I can see favouring Stamkos because of consistency, in a league with Hits, PPP, SOG, PIMs or some combinations Ovechkin really spikes in value and so long as you believe the old Ovechkin is back (45+G 45+A) I think you have to take him. Edit: to answer the question I think we see Ovechkin being as intense as ever this year.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    What are your scoring categories? I assume it's a multi-category league by the question but want to make sure. If it's straight points I can see favouring Stamkos because of consistency, in a league with Hits, PPP, SOG, PIMs or some combinations Ovechkin really spikes in value and so long as you believe the old Ovechkin is back (45+G 45+A) I think you have to take him. Edit: to answer the question I think we see Ovechkin being as intense as ever this year.
    Should have included this - for skaters it is: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT)

For goalies it is: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Saves (SV)

15 teams, four deep at each forward positions, roto, weekly starts. It's for the Dobber Pro League (Wales Division).

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Should have included this - for skaters it is: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT)

For goalies it is: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Saves (SV)

15 teams, four deep at each forward positions, roto, weekly starts. It's for the Dobber Pro League (Wales Division).
    That's really the perfect league for Ovechkin who gives you that extra edge in PPP, SOG and HITs and maybe +/- over Stamkos. Also, he gives you winger eligibilty (and maybe both wings?). I don't think Ovechkin tones it down one bit and it comes down to wether you believe the old Ovechkin is back or not.

A final thought; Stamkos is the most consistent elite player in the league, Ovechkin is way less consistent but has higher upside. If you believe you can out-draft and out-manage the rest of the league and want the best bet for a PPG player that's Stamkos (even over Crosby IMO). Ultimately, I'd draft Ovechkin and hope for the best.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR