Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tim Thomas negotiating with teams

Administrator

If Tim Thomas still has the same skills he'd be an upgrade for half the teams in the league and having an incumbent wouldn't even be terrible because there's no way you could sign Thomas expecting to get 60 starts out of him.

Sign him as your #1, give him 50 starts, play your incumbent starter a lot and win more games.

Winnipeg, Washington, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Florida, Edmonton, Colorado and Calgary would all definitely receive an upgrade and you could argue that a few other teams would as well. Obviously there are other considerations but from the standpoint of being a better hockey team, Tim Thomas on his game is better than most of the starters in the league by a large enough margin that signing him would be worth while.

Of course, Thomas has to prove he still has game and I wouldn't even consider giving him a contract until he proves it.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Sign him as your #1, give him 50 starts, play your incumbent starter a lot and win more games.

Of course, Thomas has to prove he still has game and I wouldn't even consider giving him a contract until he proves it.
    These seems to contradict each other.

How can he prove he still has game without getting a contract?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Burke + American = Tim Thomas in CGY

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Depth signing to pump Luongo's tires?
    Luongo had his tires stolen this summer so I'm not sure this pairing will work very well.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Burke + American = Tim Thomas in CGY
    quiet you.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    , but why would they even want to win games this year?

Do you want your developing players to learn that losing is acceptable? That's the message management and the owners give by not actively trying to improve your team.

Dobber Sports Stud

Looks like Florida has offered him a PTO. Clemmenson injury, opens the opportunity. Don't know if he's accepted.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    These seems to contradict each other.

How can he prove he still has game without getting a contract?
    You give him a tryout and nothing more. Thomas seems to want to be signed to be handed the starting role flat out. I wouldn't give him that until he proves it to me in a tryout.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Do you want your developing players to learn that losing is acceptable? That's the message management and the owners give by not actively trying to improve your team.
    You're right about not building a losing culture, but should an actual bottom dwelling team in a rebuild bring in players that actually make them better? How has that worked for Calgary over the past 8-9 seasons?

All the team needs to do to continue the rebuild and maintain morale is to vouch for their faith in the players they have like Ramo or Markstrom and claim they have an internal cap. Fla is closer now than Cal but at some point soon it will make sense to bring in FAs and vets who can take the young core to the next level. That point hasn't likely arrived.
    Last edited by hockeymanG23; September 10, 2013 at 7:51 PM.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

I don't fully buy into the whole 'losing culture' excuse.

Chicago in 2005-2007 had a record of 57-85-22 finishing 3rd and 5th last respectively.

Young guys on the team these two years included Seabrook, Keith, Byfuglien, and Sharp (all under 24ish) who were key guys in their cup runs later on. Insert Toews and Kane through the draft and you have a very good core to build with. Hell, even Crawford saw a couple games.

I think you need good coaches/management to help protect your young players from stunting their develop and/or accept a 'losing culture'. Ultimately, it's all on the player.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Colorado might make sense if they think they can make the playoffs this year. But that proves they overpaid for Varlamov, and they might not want that.
    Thomas being coached by Francois Allaire. It would be worth it simply for the comedy.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Monster

I would of very much liked to see the Hawks sign Tim Thomas instead of Khabibulin. I think Thomas will give someone a pretty solid season.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Imagine if...
    July 1st - Hawks sign Thomas to a one year 2 mil deal.

He splits starts with Crawford and forces Crawford to sign an extension in Dec for 4yrs 16mil instead of 6yrs 30mil.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Stud

F#ck it. Now I have to hope and pray that Florida, brings in Bryzgalov as well. Can you imagine.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I don't fully buy into the whole 'losing culture' excuse.

Chicago in 2005-2007 had a record of 57-85-22 finishing 3rd and 5th last respectively.

Young guys on the team these two years included Seabrook, Keith, Byfuglien, and Sharp (all under 24ish) who were key guys in their cup runs later on. Insert Toews and Kane through the draft and you have a very good core to build with. Hell, even Crawford saw a couple games.

I think you need good coaches/management to help protect your young players from stunting their develop and/or accept a 'losing culture'. Ultimately, it's all on the player.
    And who was the Chicago GM that had such forsight and trust in the youngsters. The same one whose bringing in Thomas (which I really don't understand). Let the kids play.

I can understand a veteran presence. It should add stability. Florida has veterans, so why bring one in with a jaded personal history. I guess that cup ring and Conn Smyth carry more weight then anti government rants and anti gay affiliations.

I wouldn't let Thomas anywhere near my team.