Thread: Changing of an Existing Rule - what is a good voting threshold?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Changing of an Existing Rule - what is a good voting threshold?

Hi All,

I'm in a 12-team league, and people are proposing rule changes of existing rules they'd like to see implemented. In your opinion, to change an existing rule, what is a good voting threshold?

I was thinking either 8/12 (67%), or 9/12 (75%) is required for an existing rule to be changed. What do you all feel is the best threshold to change an existing rule? Thanks!
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

We're starting the fourth year in my league and for off season changes, we require 7/12. If we need to tweak a rule during the season then it needs to be unanimous.

That's how we do it. We are a group of close friends though if that makes a difference.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Guru

In my leagues with my buddies changes during the season require 100% agreement from all GMs. For off-season changes we use a 75% threshold.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm in a 12-team league, and people are proposing rule changes of existing rules they'd like to see implemented. In your opinion, to change an existing rule, what is a good voting threshold?

I was thinking either 8/12 (67%), or 9/12 (75%) is required for an existing rule to be changed. What do you all feel is the best threshold to change an existing rule? Thanks!
    I think 8 of 12 is a reasonable number. I'd also suggest the following:

1. A 'non' vote counts as a 'no'.
    2. Any rule change is delayed by 1 year (to allow teams to properly prepare for it). This is especially true for important changes, like number of keepers, different weights, etc. You can't just go and change that in the off season and expect it to be implemented right off the bat...

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would cut out the GM who finished 1st and the GM who finished last. These would be ones that may think they either benefited from the previous rules, or finished last because they were punished with the chosen rules. So, don't let them vote, then do whatever you think is appropriate (ie. 60/70% is a good threshold I think).