Thread: Markstrom vs. Bernier?

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Markstrom vs. Bernier?

Gents,

Which goalie do you think is better for the league in my sig below? It's a Start-2G and I already have M.Smith in the mix. So I am looking for the best goalie for this year (if needed) but one that could be my 3rd keeper option after next year instead of Smith.

There is a SLIGHT chance Bobrovsky could also be there where I pick but I doubt it. If he is, he's the CLEAR choice over both, right?

Thanks
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Veteran

Markstrom for me. There is too much ??? for the tandem Bernier/Reimer for the future.
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Padawan

For this season (and your setup) Markstrom should hold more value as he should see more starts. I see Bernier's SV% and GAA being better due to a stronger team (Wow, being able to say the Leafs are cleraly stronger than another team makes me smile) but seeing that your setup does not take that into account then Markstrom is your guy here
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Padawan

Bernier for me. IMO he is gonna be elite in a near future...

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Gents,

Which goalie do you think is better for the league in my sig below? It's a Start-2G and I already have M.Smith in the mix. So I am looking for the best goalie for this year (if needed) but one that could be my 3rd keeper option after next year instead of Smith.

There is a SLIGHT chance Bobrovsky could also be there where I pick but I doubt it. If he is, he's the CLEAR choice over both, right?

Thanks
    Well your signature says you can keep 40 players and 2 Goalies max - so what is this talk about a 3rd goalie keeper?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Gents,

Thanks
    I am confused. You keep 2 max. You have Rask / Smith/ Price.

You aren't going to be keeping Markstrom or Bernier with those goalies you already own.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Well your signature says you can keep 40 players and 2 Goalies max - so what is this talk about a 3rd goalie keeper?
    Oops, sorry, need to update. We voted on 3G keepers starting this season. So, yes, 3 G keepers Shoeless.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    I am confused. You keep 2 max. You have Rask / Smith/ Price.

You aren't going to be keeping Markstrom or Bernier with those goalies you already own.
    Rask and Price are a LOCK for 2 of my keepers. My signature has been updated - we can now keep 3 goalies. I'm heading into my draft with Smith as my 3rd keeper. I'm looking to target one of Bernier / Markstrom as extra insurance for this season but also with the potential of keeping one of them over Smith (maybe not) after the season.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Monster

I'd stick with Rask / Price / Smith as your 3 keeper goalies.

Bernier and Markstrom both have high upside, but both have lots of questions.

Bernier has Reimer competition and who knows how that works out.

Markstrom plays on a team that should / will get better but also has some questions (IMO) about his knee injuries he's had and he still need to prove himself.

If you are going to draft one regardless, I'd draft Markstrom and see how things work out this season and then re-evaluate at seasons end in terms of insurance.

To me your golden with Rask, Price and Smith.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    If you are going to draft one regardless, I'd draft Markstrom and see how things work out this season and then re-evaluate at seasons end in terms of insurance.
    Thanks, Shake.

Yeah, I also considered Robin Lehner but it will be hard to evaluate him this season with Anderson getting the lion's share. But I'm leaning towards Markstrom as well - mainly because he is projected to be peppered and make over 1,600 saves this season. Every 10 saves is a point so starts are shots are huge.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Ace

I would keep the 3 goalies you have now. Right now you have 3 starting goalies, who are the teams #1 goalies, No split starts or tandems. If Price struggles you have Smith vice versa. I stay with those three and see what happens later this year.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

The Great One

For your third goalie, to be honest, I'm not sure Bernier or Markstrom will be a better keeper next year than Smith.

For this year, I'd say Markstrom is a better draft choice for you, just because he's clearly a number 1 goalie and I think Florida will roll with him. [Bernier should start the season as 1A, but Reimer could make things very interesting.]

Looking past this year, I think it will take Florida a few years to put things together.

So if I were drafting a goalie that you MIGHT want to protect next year, I'd roll the dice on Bernier. I don't think Bernier and Reimer will be a tandem forever; both should find homes as starting goalies very soon.

[In short, I like Markstrom's numbers better this year - more starts. But I'd take Bernier if the objective is to possibly have a 3rd goalie to keep next year over Mike Smith.]

Good luck.