Thread: 9 keepers, 14 teams, only 4 on roster

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 9 keepers, 14 teams, only 4 on roster

I'm already holding Niemi and Holtby. I already roster Allen and Varlamov and I want to keep 3 goalies. Would you take Allen, or Varlamov??

It's a progressive keeper roto league going into it's 4th season. My G stats are W, GAA, SV%, SO

I like Allen because I strongly believe Halak gets traded due to feuds with Hitchcock over playing time, and I also believe Allen is the better goalie than Elliot and should be the starter going forward by about the deadline. The downfall is I'll have to wait for that or an injury to be able to utilize him. For the long-term, I think this is the best option.

I like Varlamov because he is actually the starter, and I think being coached by a goalie can help him. But, I also think goaltending in fantasy depends heavily on the coaching system, which I know nothing about from Roy. On the other hand, goalies who play under a Hitchcock-type system will always thrive no matter who they are.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Veteran

It seems to me like you see it for what it is. Varlamov is a better option now but Allen most likely will be long term. I guess it depends if you are going all out to win right now vs a little down the road. I'd probably gamble on Allen.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks, yes I'm leaning that way. I can still get a serviceable goalie in the draft to be able to roll 3 while I wait for Allen. Basically, I'm probably just looking for someone to tell me whether or not I'm crazy for how I feel about Halak getting moved this season.

I should also mention, the price in my pool increases yearly, so to win next year is more lucrative than to win this year

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think it's risky to make a decision banking on a trade that may or may not happen to Halak, especially when Allen is 3rd in line, even if he is arguably better than Elliot.

I'd strongly consider finding a good deal for Varly, since in a 14-team league (and you're already hoarding Holtby and Niemi) it would seems goalies are pretty valuable.

If not, I'd keep Varly.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ... Sidney Crosby is a Vampire!