Thread: Keeper Roto: OEL Vs Dion Phaneuf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Keeper Roto: OEL Vs Dion Phaneuf

Who would you want for a three year timeframe? The league has a salary cap of $85M so the $1M more Dion earns is a concern. Stats used are G/A/+-.PPP,SOG,BS,PIM.

Who would you rather have in this timreframe and why?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Qetuoadg View Post
    Who would you want for a three year timeframe? The league has a salary cap of $85M so the $1M more Dion earns is a concern. Stats used are G/A/+-.PPP,SOG,BS,PIM.

That's a tough question. OEL is the better NHL defensemen, but that doesn't matter in fantasy hockey. I'm not sure he can out produce Dion with your stat categories. Both are relatively young, so both will still be producing at a high level within the 3 years you're talking about.

I think you have a safer floor with OEL, but I think Dion provides higher risk/reward for your stats (some years he beats OEL, others he might not). I think I have to go Dion, but it's close and an argument could be made for OEL.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like OEL here. To me he is simply the more talented of the two. OEL is the go-to in the desert plus he and Yandle are a great PP duo. He also has a higher point upside than Dion IMO.
    Dion certainly has the advantage in PIM and blocked shots but it is easier to find guys on the wire to pick up the slack in those cats.

For what its worth this is coming from a Leafs fan too.
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw20 View Post
    I like OEL here. To me he is simply the more talented of the two. OEL is the go-to in the desert plus he and Yandle are a great PP duo. He also has a higher point upside than Dion IMO.
    Dion certainly has the advantage in PIM and blocked shots but it is easier to find guys on the wire to pick up the slack in those cats.

For what its worth this is coming from a Leafs fan too.
    These are definitely valid points as well. It's a tough call. Sometimes when it's close and you have a hard time making a decision, just go with the more talented defensemen, and that is OEL.

I would still take Phaneuf as I think he's gotten a bit of a bad rap in Toronto, but that's me.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Haha maybe it is because I am a Leaf fan that I naturally expect the worst out of their players.

Just took a look at CapGeek and see that OEL is locked in to that contract for 4 more seasons where Phaneuf hits UFA after this season. Now I dunno if anyone is willing to give Paneuf a raise from what he is making right now but having the security of OEL's contract could also be attractive. Because you know that he is getting a nice payday when he hits UFA
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Qetuoadg View Post

OEL. An all around better defenceman. OEL is a future Norris candidate, I don't forsee DF in those talks. But that's just me.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.