Thread: Quick vs Niemi

Dobber Sports Star

Default Quick vs Niemi

Just did a side by side 3 year comparison between my 2 young goalies and was pleasantly surprised at how close the two really are despite Quick being the "bigger" name. I will have to drop or trade one of these guys soon and I will get much better value in a trade involving Quick. Would you feel comfortable running with Niemi as your starter if the return on Quick was top 3 pick in this years draft? Also, consider we only keep 4 and Rinni, Howard and a few other lower tier 1 goalies will be available as well? Here's the 3 yr stats that we use for both.

Quick - Wins 88, GAA 2.21, S% .916, Saves 4029
    Niemi - Wins 93, GAA 2.32, S% .919, Saves 4434

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Deity

Not saying Quick is over rated, but Niemi is certainly under rated.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Not saying Quick is over rated, but Niemi is certainly under rated.
    I totally agree...I've been lucky enough to draft him the past 2 seasons. And while everyone else is using a 1st or 2nd round pick on the "bigger" names, I've been able to grab him as late as the 5th round and he has not disappointed.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

Konecny(L/R)
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Guru

A lot of Quick's reputation is because he plays so well in the playoffs. He really steps it up in the postseason.

I'd be comfortable with Niemi, and then try to get another goalie in the draft.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

I fully agree w the above posts. Trading Quick is A ok here. He'll get a better return & generally is not better for fantasy purposes.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    Just did a side by side 3 year comparison between my 2 young goalies and was pleasantly surprised at how close the two really are despite Quick being the "bigger" name. I will have to drop or trade one of these guys soon and I will get much better value in a trade involving Quick. Would you feel comfortable running with Niemi as your starter if the return on Quick was top 3 pick in this years draft? Also, consider we only keep 4 and Rinni, Howard and a few other lower tier 1 goalies will be available as well? Here's the 3 yr stats that we use for both.

Quick - Wins 88, GAA 2.21, S% .916, Saves 4029
    Niemi - Wins 93, GAA 2.32, S% .919, Saves 4434
    If Quick gets you a significantly higher return, then sure - it make sense to trade him and keep Niemi. A few things I'd say, just for the sake of argument:

1) Going back three years seems a bit arbitrary. If you go back 4 years, then I suspect all the averages you have created will flip in favour of Quick.

2) Last year, Quick was coming off a Stanley Cup run and back surgery. He had a brutal start to the year. So I expect him to be much better going forward this year.

3) It does not appear your league uses a salary cap, which heavily favours Niemi.

4) If you are concerned about more than this year (and you might not be!), I like Quick's situation in LA (long term contract with an elite team) much better than Neimi's (aging team on the decline, spotty defence, and Marleau, Thornton and Boyle and UFA after this year).

Finally, I'm just curious. Do you actually have offers on these goalies yet? Do you know for a fact you'll get "significantly" more for Quick, or are you just speculating. I suspect there are a number of GM's that would pay a really good price for Niemi...

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Finally, I'm just curious. Do you actually have offers on these goalies yet? Do you know for a fact you'll get "significantly" more for Quick, or are you just speculating. I suspect there are a number of GM's that would pay a really good price for Niemi...
    No, at this point it's pure speculation. I'm a very active GM when it comes to off-season trades, so I like to be very proactive. The problem with Niemi is there's little interest in him because he's not a huge name. That's worked to my advantage over the past two seasons as I've been able to hold off and grab him a little later than most goalies...and get better value. I also need to be careful not to over sell Niemi because the others know he's not being kept. Having said that, in a keep 4 only 3 teams need a goalie or goalie upgrade and Quick is better than what's going back into the pool. Every GM knows Quick will not be tossed back and that's what makes his trade value so high. I figure I'll put some feelers out there and see what comes up. Either way I have two really good options in net for next season.

Edit:I couldn't use the 4th year as Niemi was on Chicago and split starts and Quick's #'s were very average at best with the exception of wins.
    Last edited by islefan31; August 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

Konecny(L/R)
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    IR
    -Demko

The Great One

Fair enough!

I guess it surprises me a little because while I'd prefer Quick straight up, I certainly wouldn't pay "significantly more" for him than Niemi. But if people in your league do not value Niemi - yeah - you gotta exploit that for all it's worth!