Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dobber 2013-2014 Fantasy Guide

Dobber Sports Stud

How about giving every player an 82 game projection as opposed to projecting GP and Pts.

keep the games played projection and pts but also add an 82 game projection. Im aware injuries play a huge role but guessing games played is just that. a guess. an 82 game projection would be an indicator of the talent level minus the injury concern. I can worry about band aid boys myself, just add a cross or something.

All fantasy guides are guilty of this

ex: Tavares 82 GP 41G 40A 81Pts

than add the games played guess: Tavares 77GP 39G 37 A 76Pts

TM

Dobber Sports Pro

Outstanding job as usual, Dobbs! You and the team you assemble to put these guides together consistently imrpove with each passing year IMO.

Best fantasy hockey guide on the planet...and it's not even close.

The Great One

I agree. One of the best, if not the best, fantasy guides available......anywhere.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    No way! I could pick a team at random - at random! - and 10 of their defensemen last August added up to 580+ games last year (pro-rated). If you micro-manage, you do more harm than good for your fantasy team. The most important advice you'll ever get on fantasy hockey.
    I beg to differ, the most important advice you'll ever get on fantasy hockey is to buy your (Dobber's) fantasy hockey guide. Also micro management during crunch time at the end of the season is the difference between first and second.

a) you're talking about mostly undraftable players
    b) throughout camp - daily - as the picture becomes clearer, these things get adjusted. Especially if they're sent to the minors, come on. Anyone at risk of minors is 100% noted.
    a) For the fantasy hockey nuts you have on your site here, there's no such thing as an undraftable player! A useful player is a useful player!
    b) Fair enough.

Sorta like a little chart indicating the odds of prospects making a team? Awesome idea!

I kid. And I do appreciate the feedback, but it kinda gets under my skin - just a bit - when someone complains about total games. But that's more an issue with the goalies, and why in my introduction to the team-by-team, I note that games played will not always add up neatly due to trades, injuries and unexpected demotions. And I do have a prospects chart indicating all risks of making the team.
    That chart only covers the prospects, not oldtimers from russia trying to make the team. Part of it was that you had talked about losing most of your guide and working round the clock to restore it. Could an extra Oiler's dman that was deleted been left in by accident? I don't know that's why I'm asking.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Star

Paul Stasny is in a contract year, and you talk about that, but he's not in the contract section of the guide.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Rookie

The different fonts makes for difficulty reading on my device........excruciating actually,can it be made more visually impaired friendly?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Two notes/requests on the Dobber Excel file sort:

1. I've never liked the positional sort. I really need to be able to see all LW eligible players in one sort. I would love to see a sort a little differently so that all LW eligible players could be viewed with one click.

I've always thought that:
    i) If a player has LW-eligibility, make that his primary position for sorts, because in most leagues, he'll be slotted there.
    ii) If a player has RW-eligibility, make that his primary position over C, because in most leagues, a C/RW will be slotted at RW.

Attached a spreadsheet I made to sort last year's Yahoo! players.
    [I've never liked that I have to click both "LW" and then "C/LW" and then "LW/RW" and the "W" to see all the wings. Messy, IMO.]

2. There are goalie scoring for 1W+3SO and 3W+5SO. With the former, goalie scores are in the 50s. With the latter, goalie scores are in the 150s. I've only seen two leagues and they were both 2W+3SO... which puts goalie scoring in line with skaters - and to me, has to be the most popular... I would think.

Two things I'd love to see considered.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dobber Sports Pro

Haha that was part of my copy/paste from my text file (from when I lost the guide). The first word from the last guide was still there. Will fix, thanks!
    That's what probably happened also (in the first paragraph after "Dobber's lowdown on") in St.Louis and Columbus.

Dobber Sports Novice

Anyone else having sorting issues with the Draft List? As soon as I sort based on a column header, like points, the "3YP" and "upside" values change to "#name?".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by mnimigon View Post
    Anyone else having sorting issues with the Draft List? As soon as I sort based on a column header, like points, the "3YP" and "upside" values change to "#name?".
    Yes, this happens to me as well.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by mnimigon View Post
    I don't know much about computers, but here are two observations that might be helpful.

1. This problem happens for me at work (where I use Excel 2003), but not at home (where I use a more recent version of excel).

2. When I look at the cells for 3YP and Upside at work, the formulas in these cells have an error listed in it instead of a vlookup thing. So what I did is I copied the columns for 3YP and Upside, and then did a paste special (values). This wipes out all the formulas and just replaces the cell with the actual number. Then you can sort it.

Administrator

I always like to copy everything into a new spreadsheet before doing any work. That way it copies as 'values' instead of being tied to an excel formula.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I always like to copy everything into a new spreadsheet before doing any work. That way it copies as 'values' instead of being tied to an excel formula.
    ed has it bang. Copy it as a "value only" is what I always do. Then you can play around with whatever you like.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    ed has it bang. Copy it as a "value only" is what I always do. Then you can play around with whatever you like.
    I think that's what I said, lol. Well, I tried to anyways. Maybe me needs work to mine English skills and techie talk