Thread: Trading for prospects.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Trading for prospects.

I took over a team in need of a rebuild this summer, and consequently made a bunch of trades to add young talent and improve my goaltending. I haven't done any trades like this previously, so it's harder for me to evaluate how I've done, and if I need to make adjustments to my strategy in the future. Hope I can get a few people on the boards to weigh in and let me know if I got hosed on any of these deals, and if so how bad :P

It's a 16 team dynasty, mutli-cat H2H points based league. Start 6 F/4 D/1 G daily, 7 reserve and a 10 player prospect roster.

Cats are: G A +/- PIM SOG Hits PPG/A SHG/A GWG Hat Tricks for skaters, and W SO SOG Saves for goalies. Goals are weighted a little heavier, as are D points.

Trade 1: My J Johnson/3rd overall pick for Bishop/1st overall

Trade 2: My Enstrom, Silfverberg, 19th overall for Bernier, Couturier, Merrill
    *this trade was made a few weeks before Bernier was moved to the Leafs

Trade 3: My Marchand, Pominville, Despres for Burns, Monahan, Teravainen

Trade 4: My Strome for Granlund

Trade 5: My Couturier/Dumba for Nyquist

This was inspired in part by the prospects vs proven thread. Feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I love trade 1. Great job! Trade 2 I think will end up being fairly even. I think trade 3 was a very smart move for you. No offense, trade 4 is shocking and ridiculous and will probably haunt you forever. I don't really like trade 5 either. I think you gave up a lot since you gave up 2 young pieces for 1 but I suppose it's possible that it works out.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Trade 1 & 2 & 5... thumbs up.
    Trade 3 & 4... thumbs down.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Love trade 1. JJ is ok, I guess, but Bishop I think will beat out Lindback and first overall had to get you Mackinnon or Drouin.

Trade 2, personally think you lose. I'll preface that by saying I am really high on Silverberg, and also depends what 19th overall ended up being. Merrill is probably a nothing piece, Couturier needs to get opportunity before he can strive and that got a lot tougher with Vinny there for the next 5 years. It is probably pretty even, I just don't personally like it.

Trade 3 I like. Burns and Marchand probably will produce the same. Pominville is alright, and Depres is just a bit piece. I like the upside you get back with Monahan and Teravainen.

Trade 4. I think you regret. Granlund and Strome probably have similar offensive upside, but Granlund will take longer to get there and doesn't have a Tavares to play with.

Trade 5 I love. But I love Nyqist. But I love that trade.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Trade 1 & 2 & 5... thumbs up.
    Trade 3 & 4... thumbs down.
    My thoughts exactly. I think trade 4 might not be as bad as the majority are saying, but I'm still not a huge fan. Seems like a lateral move at best.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

Interesting. I posted something about Granlund vs Strome a little while before I made that swap and the most of the responses (as well as Dobber's prospect ranking) had Granlund a little ahead. Mattp913 was the lone poster that had Strome ahead, perhaps I should have listened :P

With regards to trade 3, can any one shed some light as to where I went wrong with that. My thinking at the time (as mentioned by rataylor22) was Marchand = Burns (and I'm shallow on D after losing Johnson and Enstrom) and Teravainen/Monahan have enough upside to more than make up for losing Despres and Pominville. Is there a piece I'm giving up that I shouldn't have?

Anyway, it looks like I'm at least batting over .500, so that's a start..

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The problem with 3 is you are giving up more proven talent for unproven. Marchand is probably a little better than Burns, but Burns gets a huge edge with his D-eligibility. Even if he does, I still think those two are close to a wash. Pominville however is a consistent 60-70 point player and will be full time with Parise and Koivu next year so thats a good line. I'm fine with it though, he's already started to see his decline and if you aren't winning in the next 2 years (maximum) you come out ahead. Teravainen is in tough to make the Hawks in the near future, but I like the trade.

As for Strome vs. Granlund, Granlund is probably marginally better, but Strome will be a better point producer sooner and might always outproduce GRanlund because of team talent.

Dobber Sports Guru

I like all of those moves for you. You overpaid for Nyquist but it's still a decent deal.

The #3 is good for you. I like Burns over Marchand - with or without D-eligibility. Marchand is good player but his fantasy value is overrated. He's not that good of a multi-cat player if you look at his stats. Monahan for Pominville is very good value for a rebuilding team. Pommer is very solid player right now but long-term that's a win for you. Teravainen has higher upside than Despres so overall I like this deal quite a lot for you.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    You overpaid for Nyquist but it's still a decent deal.
    After Philly signed Lecavalier for 5 years I thought Couturier's value took a hit, seems like he'll be 3rd line center for a while, and since his value isn't likely to increase much in the short term he might even end up on the wire in this league in a season or two.

Thanks for the feedback!