Thread: Serious question about your pool

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Serious question about your pool

Sorry for the long explanation to follow but in essence I am wondering if your league has many whiners in it and if so how are they handled.

Our 30 team dynasty pool will be entering it's seventh year this fall and I'm finding that several guys seem to be whining a lot lately.

Our comish has done an amazing job establishing the league and adding rules as need be. As you can imagine there is a lot of work keeping a league this size going.

The league had been a bit relaxed in past seasons enforcing rules which led to a lot of extra work for the administrators of the pool. We have added someone to point out when a rule has been violated and what the penalties are as set out in the league rules. As well the comish is pretty vigilant inn emailing reminders to all GM's of rules, important dates etc.. This keeps the league fair for everyone.

Our penalties are pretty minor in my opinion, such as on your 5th illegal move you receive a small fine. I think too many rules starts to take the fun out of a pool but I feel all the rules put into our league were necessary after some GM's continued to ignore the rules repeatedly. At our annual GM's meeting all GM's were asked if they they had any suggestions or rule changes they'd like to see for the upcoming season and none were brought forward. They could even do this anonymously by emailing the comish with their suggestion before the meeting.

Lately I'm finding that GM's are whining whenever they are assesed with a rule violation no matter how minor ( most are just a reminder of the rule they broke ) and it's getting tiresome and seems to be putting a negative atmosphere around the pool lately.

I appreciate anything you have to offer.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

I...am your father.

This is an extremely fair, clear and well-written note. I think this should be the front page of your newsletter, or perhaps you share this link to the group in your league. But this tells it like it is without pointing fingers.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

with a 30 team league theres bound to be some whinning, and depending on the personal relationships btwn some of the GMs the "mob" mentality will be present.

no one commish will ever please the entire league at the same time. i like Dobbers idea, and a note to the entire league might be the way to go, but i would run it past your commish first to make sure he is cool with it...dont wanna overstep any boundaries here.

another route is an email to the whinning parties (only) giving them your opinion, and to put on thier big-boy pants and suck it up and play by the rules as setout by the commish. this is most likely the way i would go...but thats just me.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is an extremely fair, clear and well-written note. I think this should be the front page of your newsletter, or perhaps you share this link to the group in your league. But this tells it like it is without pointing fingers.
    Thanks. We don't have a newsletter, but I like that idea.

What gets me is that the league administrators ( for lack of a better term ) put in countless volunteer hours, and guys jump all over them on the forums rather than offer postive, constructive criticism through the proper channels and at the appropriate times ( like our GM meetings ). I fear that we will lose these volunteers. Why would anyone want to volunteer to help the league like keeping track of rules violations only to be jumped on?
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    with a 30 team league theres bound to be some whinning, and depending on the personal relationships btwn some of the GMs the "mob" mentality will be present.

no one commish will ever please the entire league at the same time. i like Dobbers idea, and a note to the entire league might be the way to go, but i would run it past your commish first to make sure he is cool with it...dont wanna overstep any boundaries here.

another route is an email to the whinning parties (only) giving them your opinion, and to put on thier big-boy pants and suck it up and play by the rules as setout by the commish. this is most likely the way i would go...but thats just me.
    We have a somewhat diverse group of owners but in recent years some of the teams have been sold to new owners and I do see the "mob" mentality at times and there also seems to be a large clique forming.

You have given some solid suggestions. Thanks.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher