Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2013-2014 Same Night Tool

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by sternalot View Post
    VERY VERY helpful Pengwin7

My general assumption on the 4 goalie strategy is this:

With 4 goalies you have more potential starts, so more opportunities at Ws and SOs, 2 of my 4 cats. While you might place yourself out of GAA due to a 4th goalie probably being on a lesser team, SV% across the league has a low standard deviation. Therefore, you increase your chances to win W and SO on a weekly basis, hurt your chances on GAA, but maintain chances on SV%.

Is this a correct way to think about this? Is this the reason I can go to low tier goalies like Nabokov, Pavelec and Dubnyk without them ruining my higher tier goalies like Howard and Niemi?
    Well, you say "on a weekly basis", so I'm assuming you are considering the impact of a H2H league.

In H2H leagues, I prefer to roster 4 middle/below-average goalies instead of 2 solid goalies.

Sounds odd right?
    Not really.
    On average, a #1 goalie will get 3 starts.

2 Excellent goalies will get 4 wins in 6 starts.
    4 Average goalies will get 5-6 wins in 12 starts.
    That's wins locked up... weekly.

Now, here's the cool thing with "quantity".
    Let's say your middle/below-average goalies HAPPEN to start the week with three good games. Heck, maybe you've got good GAA/SV%. Well now you have the OPTION to bench them and win GAA/SV%.

AND... because you have several goalies, you can now make a decision on Saturday/Sunday if you want to go after an extra win... if you feel it won't lose your GAA/SV% lead.

IMO, rostering goalies in H2H leagues is all about "quantity"... because you have options. You always have the option to win "WINS', because you can get starts. You can also choose your match-ups.

But teams with only two excellent goalies could have one AWFUL outing and be burned for the whole week without enough starts to correct that GAA/SV%.

So, short answer: I like four middle/average-ish goalies in H2H over two top-tier goalies (where I could've drafted superstar skaters). H2H strategy though, not ROTO.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks again Pengwin. I think its a pretty sound strategy. Thanks for ellaborating. Glad I found this place.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Thanks a lot!

Here's another happy camper - glad to have found your great tool this year again! Cheers!
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...