• Jones

24 60.00%
  • Trouba

16 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jones or Trouba ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    The WJC does mean little at the end of the day, but it's hard to ignore the fact that Trouba looked to be the best player on both sides of the ice in most of those games, including forwards, and including games against Russia, etc. Jones looked only okay, as far as I'm concerned. He is a year younger, though, so I absolutely give him some slack.

No way does Trouba project as a Staal-type player now. He didn't look out of place playing against men at the WC, manning the PP, among other things. He didn't play a major role, but he looked good.

I don't know much about the USHL, but Trouba and Jones both played two seasons in that league, and in his second season Trouba jumped to 4G, 18P in 22GP, while Jones' had 4G, 12P in 22 games. I don't know if we can read too much into that, as I have no idea what the teams were like, etc. but it's worth noting.

I have a hard time giving a firm answer, as I haven't watch Jones play all that much, but I disagree that Jones is on whole other level. Both are amazing players, and I'm excited to see how they do this year. I will say that Jones having Weber to shelter him on the ice and teach him is a major boon to his career.
    I think you're underestimating a Marc Staal type player. That's a franchise type d-man in my eyes, and people should be happy if he were to become that. I'm not trying to downplay Trouba by calling him that type of player.

Also somebody said he'll become a Weber type, well Weber is taller and a lot bigger than Trouba, with most likely a much harder slap shot.

Banned

Honestly though I might take Trouba here even though I voted Jones. I'm just not sure hes this franchise, surefire bluechip D every thought he was after falling some spots. I know many teams who say "if we have two guys rated equally, we will take the d-man". Well, I'm not buying that all 4 of the Top 4 are going to be superstars, and if Jones is, I don't see how you let him slip to 4. In this day and age, scouts generally make the right calls at the top.

Dobber Sports Sage

Did Trouba make the WJC team as an under ager? Jones is miles ahead of him at the same age.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Jones and its not close. I personally had Jones on my board as 5th on my draft board, but considered him one of three elite talents in the draft. If I was to have ranked Trouba in this years draft I'd probably have placed him 9th. And Trouba's a year ahead of the curve.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by TavesSoul View Post
    Jones and its not close. I personally had Jones on my board as 5th on my draft board, but considered him one of three elite talents in the draft. If I was to have ranked Trouba in this years draft I'd probably have placed him 9th. And Trouba's a year ahead of the curve.
    I agree with you completely and if you had put Trouba up against this draft class when he was 18 I would bet he doesn't go top 15 probably not even top 20.

Point is a lot of people are trying to compare these two as = and you absolutely can not do that at these ages. A year on development is huge. I'm certain if he was to play in the WJC this year (which he won't because he's in the NHL) jones would dominate

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Did Trouba make the WJC team as an under ager? Jones is miles ahead of him at the same age.
    Actually, he did.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Actually, he did.
    That's why I asked I honestly didn't remember but I do remember th all being abysmal that year.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Legend

Trouba has potential to be very good and well-rounded. Style-wise he reminds me of a Ryan Suter type with a little Jack Johnson sprinkled in. Jones though is on a different level. You're talking Rob Blake / Chris Pronger type of all-around production if all goes well.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Personally, I wish I could have both these guys.. If I was to choose, I would take Jones.. But I don't feel like Nashville was a great landing spot for the young Jones.. Trouba is going to be a PPQB for Winnipeg and should rack up the points..

Even though Jones is in Nashville now, I still have to roll with him over Trouba.. They are both going to be really really great!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Yep, this is pretty much a no brainer.

JONES!
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."