Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20

Thread: Ilya Kovalchuk to RETIRE ( QUIT )from NHL

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    He's leaving a lot of money on the table.
    Are you kidding? Let's see how much he makes "tax free" in the KHL before we brand him hockey's version of Robin Hood.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Are you kidding? Let's see how much he makes "tax free" in the KHL before we brand him hockey's version of Robin Hood.
    How much he makes in the KHL is different. You said he squeezed every penny out of the Devils. I was simply stating this was not true. He left before the most lucrative part of his NHL contract began.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

i don't understand why people keep trying to hang the Clarkson departure around Kovalchuk's neck here to be honest with you

the Devils gave Clowe $400k less than Toronto gave to Clarkson

it seems to me that Clarkson left because he wanted to leave not because the Devils couldn't pay him

i would argue that it was the same situation with Parise as well he left to go home

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    How much he makes in the KHL is different. You said he squeezed every penny out of the Devils. I was simply stating this was not true. He left before the most lucrative part of his NHL contract began.
    I was referring to his outlandish contract in 2010, that was ultimately rejected by the NHL and re-signed, for $100 mil. Despite the Devils financial limitations and Kovalchuk's "supposed" desire to be part of a winning team, he certainly didn't leave a penny to spare on the table for the Devils to surround him with talent.

And, to think money isn't a part of his decision, think again. This includes a direct quote from his own mother:

Some will still be surprised that Kovalchuk would leave the NHL with $77 million over 12 years left on his contract, but his mother argued that number is misleading.

"After the lockout, there are a lot of restrictions at all teams," she said. "They are also underpaid 20% [of their salary]. The League takes it as an escrow that may not be paid back if the NHL does not make profit. And then there’s government tax of 50%. That means on paper you are being paid $10 million a year, but in reality only 3. So the pendulum swung for Russia."

How much Kovalchuk will make in the KHL is unclear, but there are reports indicating that he could end up making more annually at a taxation rate of 13%.
    Kovalchuk always had a mercenary feel to him IMO. Let's face it, pro sports are a business, and all players care about maximizing their paychecks but some are more money-hungry than others and some go about it the "right" way as opposed to the "wrong" way. I've always been convinced Kovy was one of the most money-hungry players in the league and now it's been confirmed that he handles his business the wrong way. You don't commit to a team for 15 years and bail on them after 3 to go play in another league. It's straight up wrong.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Monster

Here is an article in regard to his future with the NHL, if there is one.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devil...cCgk0mWUHajWFK

Dobber Sports Wizard

So, if Kovalchuk gets injured in a career threatening sense - Will his team, league, or the oil monarchs honor whatever contract is in place.

I don't see the players over there having a KHLPA. This would be a bit scary, I doubt whatever contract is signed is guaranteed.

Dobber Sports Monster

According to his sister apparently Kovy plans to play 3 years in KHL then return to NHL....

Chris Nichols ‏@Nichols_NHLPool 4m

Ilya Kovalchuk plans to spend at least three years in #KHL, then come back to #NHL. This info per his sister to mk.ru. Via @IgorEronko

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    According to his sister apparently Kovy plans to play 3 years in KHL then return to NHL....

Chris Nichols ‏@Nichols_NHLPool 4m

Ilya Kovalchuk plans to spend at least three years in #KHL, then come back to #NHL. This info per his sister to mk.ru. Via @IgorEronko
    she can say whatever she wants but it's not going to change the reality of the situation for him...as I understand it he can either sit out an entire year not playing ANY hockey, or he can try to get the permission of all 30 teams to allow him to come back (never going to happen) or he can wait 5 years until he's 35 then I believe he's allowed to re-enter the league as a UFA

Dobber Sports Master

Some mornings I wake up and I've forgotten that Kovy buggered off to the KHL...

... then I log into Dobberhockey and this 300 post beacon of depression reminds me that I just got screwed in the UHL.

~Le Sigh~
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    she can say whatever she wants but it's not going to change the reality of the situation for him...as I understand it he can either sit out an entire year not playing ANY hockey, or he can try to get the permission of all 30 teams to allow him to come back (never going to happen) or he can wait 5 years until he's 35 then I believe he's allowed to re-enter the league as a UFA
    Yeah I'm not putting much thought into her comments, other than its just the daily drama of Kovalchuk. The facts are he's gone from NHL and who the hell knows what happens in 3 years or 5 years. I do think every fantasy owner in dynasty leagues will now roster this guy and burn up a spot for several years " hoping" for his return at some point.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post

~Le Sigh~
    don't do that

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    don't do that
    ~Le what~?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    ~Le what~?
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...087qo1_500.png