Thread: Goalie help: Schnieder, Smith, Halak...

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Goalie help: Schnieder, Smith, Halak...

Need some help in between the pipes for next season only. I currently have Quick but need to keep, trade, or draft a second goalie. There are some elite goalies back in the draft but it is an auction and would cost a lot. Goalies are pretty valuable in our league and account for 1/3 of league points (stats - wins, GAA, SV%).

Here are some options (trade or keep):

Schnieder
    Halak
    Lehtonen
    Smith
    Backstrom

As a side note another GM has offered me my Pacioretty, Fowler and Schnieder for his Rinne. Too steep a price?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
    Cheers
    Last edited by SPOILER; July 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM.
    Member of OCHA

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SPOILER View Post
    As a side note another GM has offered me Pacioretty, Fowler and Schnieder for Rinne. Too steep a price?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
    Cheers
    i assume you would be getting rinne here

i would jump on that personally given the stats

having rinne and quick would pretty much lock up the goalie stats for you

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Genius

Schneider - Potentially a frustrating year is in store for Fantasy owners.

Halak - Will he emerge as the starter, finally? Will 1A/1B continue?

Lehtonen - I believe an overall ranking of about 10th in the NHL, is correct. This reflects that he plays for an average team. Talent wise, he may be in the top 5 in the NHL. Of course, we get to wonder about his health, and the ever evolving talent in Dallas. How does the new group gel?

Smith - Fantasy owners are either believers or disbelievers. I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. What more does he have to do to prove himself?

Backstrom - new contract reflected that he isn't the All-Star of old anymore. However, they believed in him enough to give him another $10.0M over the next three years. At this point, I believe Minny is on the rise. Without any heir apparent in the wings, he should drive nicely for another couple seasons.

As a side note another GM has offered me my Pacioretty, Fowler and Schnieder for his Rinne. Too steep a price?

Pacioretty is a nice piece.

Fowler is very interesting. First, he faded badly in his draft year. Plus/minus completely ruined him in leagues using the stat. Points were very interesting until... last winter. Plus minus improved, however. So, where's he at? On the high road to new and better things? Finding himself and re-tooling to allow himself a long NHL career? I'm not beating his door down.

I think I'd pay the price for Rinne. Mildly concerning drop in the level of his play this past winter. No heir apparent. Big contract can be a negative in some leagues. I would bet on a bounce back.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd be all over Schneider in the longrun.
    Brodeur will get his token starts and be called the 'starter' to protect his iconic status in New Jersey this year - but Schneider's the guy.

Lethonen is talented but constantly hurt - he's like a wasted roster spot for a third of the season - which is painful to roster with a goalie. I'd take Schneider over Lethonen any day of the week.

The only goalie that you brought up that should be in conversation with Schneider is Rinne - and yes Rinne is better right now and in a better situation this year. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Schneider becomes the better goaltender in the near future.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by JHM View Post
    Schneider - Potentially a frustrating year is in store for Fantasy owners.

Halak - Will he emerge as the starter, finally? Will 1A/1B continue?

Lehtonen - I believe an overall ranking of about 10th in the NHL, is correct. This reflects that he plays for an average team. Talent wise, he may be in the top 5 in the NHL. Of course, we get to wonder about his health, and the ever evolving talent in Dallas. How does the new group gel?

Smith - Fantasy owners are either believers or disbelievers. I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. What more does he have to do to prove himself?

Backstrom - new contract reflected that he isn't the All-Star of old anymore. However, they believed in him enough to give him another $10.0M over the next three years. At this point, I believe Minny is on the rise. Without any heir apparent in the wings, he should drive nicely for another couple seasons.

Pacioretty is a nice piece.

Fowler is very interesting. First, he faded badly in his draft year. Plus/minus completely ruined him in leagues using the stat. Points were very interesting until... last winter. Plus minus improved, however. So, where's he at? On the high road to new and better things? Finding himself and re-tooling to allow himself a long NHL career? I'm not beating his door down.

I think I'd pay the price for Rinne. Mildly concerning drop in the level of his play this past winter. No heir apparent. Big contract can be a negative in some leagues. I would bet on a bounce back.
    Agree with all of this given that as you said we're talking about next season only. The more I think about it the more I think Schneider will have a disappointing season relative to his hype. After being traded out of Vancouver many owners will expect big things and be willing to over-pay (literally in an auction) for him. But he still has to contend with Brodeur, learn a new team and the Devils are not good so I expect 2013-14 to be a disappointing one for Schneider and I think right now he's actually a sell-high in 1 year situations.

Halak, Lehtonen, Smith and Backstrom all have the potential to be solid but have one or more issues keeping them from being top 10 over the entire season. Rinne regressed last season and with the Predators roster looking thin I think he slides from Top 3 to the 6-8 range. Still I really like this trade for you and depending on how easy it is to replace Pacs I'd most likely take it.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR