Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Horvat/Shinkaruk

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Horvat is way more than blah. People look at guys like him and Lazar and think they have no offense but that is far from the case. Seen far too many players like Shinkaruk in my day.
    In a points only format I don't see Horvat being more than a 58-60 point guy (regularly speaking). I don't consider that anything too special - think Mike Richards in terms of offense. But in real life Horvat will be a very nice player. I know you're not a fan of Shinkaruk - and he could bust - but he also has some filthy hands that could produce north of 65-70 if he pans out. Why are you so down on him anyway? Size? One-dimensional? I'm not too worried about his size. If he improves on his all-around game and is willing to apply himself to a system and be responsible, I think he has the talent to be very good.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    In a points only format I don't see Horvat being more than a 58-60 point guy (regularly speaking). I don't consider that anything too special - think Mike Richards in terms of offense. But in real life Horvat will be a very nice player. I know you're not a fan of Shinkaruk - and he could bust - but he also has some filthy hands that could produce north of 65-70 if he pans out. Why are you so down on him anyway? Size? One-dimensional? I'm not too worried about his size. If he improves on his all-around game and is willing to apply himself to a system and be responsible, I think he has the talent to be very good.
    I'm only down on him because so many other teams were down on him and he regressed this season, in his third junior season. I also don't trust Vancouver's scouting or development at all. Remember, he was much older than most WHLers and he regressed without Emerson Etem on his team. There are also concerns about his character which is a big red flag.

Some people love to think he's the next Jeff Skinner or something but Skinner was a big time riser and was drafted high.

if you're down on a 60 point forward i don't know what to tell you but that's a very good forward in this day and age. Give me the sure thing over the flashy maybe.

Banned

and Calgary passing on a hometown kid, top WHL scorer who plays 3 hours away, for a kid from Quebec, speaks volumes

Dobber Sports Legend

and Calgary passing on a hometown kid, top WHL scorer who plays 3 hours away, for a kid from Quebec, speaks volumes
    Yeah, that got my attention. That said, I don't have too much faith in the Flames management. But your point is valid. Shinkaruk certainly dropped, I'm just not sure if it was more of a knock on him or the fact that this draft was deeper than most recently. There's always droppers - Forsberg, Fowler, etc.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Guru

i'm tempted to agree with fungchen - that might be giving the Flames too much credit. an interesting point though as picking Shinkaruk would have been totally free from criticism.

i'm really interested in why he fell but my googling is failing me.

Dobber Sports Novice

you really shouldn't need these people to tell you who to pick.....ya this site can be cool to read up on but why the hell do a lot of people let others tell them who is the best to pick? if you are a capable manager you should be able to pick for yourself and if you aren't one, then i guess you come here and post a thread and let these guys tell you how to run a team..kinda wierd in my opinion

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm only down on him because so many other teams were down on him and he regressed this season, in his third junior season. I also don't trust Vancouver's scouting or development at all. Remember, he was much older than most WHLers and he regressed without Emerson Etem on his team. There are also concerns about his character which is a big red flag.

Some people love to think he's the next Jeff Skinner or something but Skinner was a big time riser and was drafted high.

if you're down on a 60 point forward i don't know what to tell you but that's a very good forward in this day and age. Give me the sure thing over the flashy maybe.
    He had 5 less points in 2 less games, playing on a team that seen there point totals go from 90 to 75 and he lost a 60 goal scorer that he had the luxury of playing with. I wouldn't call that a huge regression, now don't get me wrong him falling that much is a concern and it scares me a but I still think he has the potential to become a very good player and as much as I like Horvat I think Shinkaruk is a better fantasy option.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    He had 5 less points in 2 less games, playing on a team that seen there point totals go from 90 to 75 and he lost a 60 goal scorer that he had the luxury of playing with. I wouldn't call that a huge regression, now don't get me wrong him falling that much is a concern and it scares me a but I still think he has the potential to become a very good player and as much as I like Horvat I think Shinkaruk is a better fantasy option.
    5 less points, but 12 less goals. That's a big-time drop-off. Shinkaruk has been trending in the wrong direction for a year+ now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by staj18 View Post
    you really shouldn't need these people to tell you who to pick.....ya this site can be cool to read up on but why the hell do a lot of people let others tell them who is the best to pick? if you are a capable manager you should be able to pick for yourself and if you aren't one, then i guess you come here and post a thread and let these guys tell you how to run a team..kinda wierd in my opinion
    Not really, some people just don't follow prospects or junior hockey at all. Can't blame them because is not close to the NHL in terms of entertainment.

but I think most people should just generally take a guy who was drafted 14 spots over another guy...by the same team.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Shinkaruk has the better chance exploding and being something special if he puts it all together. He could also bust completely. I don't think Horvat will ever be anything "special" offensively so I would much rather swing for the fences and hope Shinkaruk ends up somewhere between Tyler Ennis and Patrick Kane. If Horvat is LUCKY he'll end up giving you Mike Richards numbers - 47-60 a year. I'd pass on the blah and go boom or bust with Shinkaruk.
    I know there are many like you who go for the 'homerun swing' strategy but in deeper leagues I take the exact opposite strategy and it has worked out for me very well While others are reaching for 'the underrated star that all the stupid NHL GM's missed' I'm steadily amassing Horvatesque assets that pan out at a much higher rate. In a deep pool depth wins and I can then package these NHL assets into better players and reduce my exposed risk.

In a shallow pool I can see how the argument swings towards the 'homerun swing' side because average NHL assets probably don't hold much value but in reality Shinkaruk is being wildly overrated here. I figure Horvat to be a 55-65 guy in his prime and Shinkaruk might be a 70 point guy or he might bust. Lets give him a 10ish point upside advantage with a 100% greater bust potential. That's a lottery ticket vs a mutual fund