Thread: Raptors/Knicks Trade

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Raptors/Knicks Trade

Raptors trade Bargnani to the New York Knicks in exchange for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, a first round pick in 2016 and a future second round pick.

I think the only saving grace is that the 1st rdr is in 2016. Maybe, just maybe the Knicks will drop a bit in the standings by then.

Camby & Novak are spare parts now. But there contracts still run for a few more years.

Player ...........2012/13 ..........2013/14 .........2014/15 .....2015/16

Marcus Camby $4,590,338 ...$3,383,773 ....$4,177,208
    Steve Novak $4,054,055 .....$3,750,001 .....$3,445,947 ....$3,750,000

Dobber Sports Padawan

An unbelievable job to acquire anything of worth for Bargs. Hopefully, Cambyses can be flipped easily to allow the raps to amnesty one of their other terrible contracts. Decline the payer option for Lowry and hope that Wiggins lands where he is needed.

Im happy to be a Raptor fan today.

Dobber Sports Pro

Love this.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...aded-bargnani/

Especially the use of the Karate Kid theme and the shout out to Topanga

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Deity

The new GM there has inherited a royal mess with that team. An absolute disaster. He's going to have his hands full for a while before he turns that gong show around. I barely follow basketball and even I know that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The new GM there has inherited a royal mess with that team. An absolute disaster. He's going to have his hands full for a while before he turns that gong show around. I barely follow basketball and even I know that.
    He is arguably the best GM in the league. He will do a ton in a short period of time (say 2 or 3 years), and they will all be savvy moves

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

This is the best trade I've seen in Raptors history.

Very impressive first move by the new GM.

Dobber Sports Deity

This is almost as juicy as when the Jays were able to unload Vernon Wells' contract. I have the same warm and fuzzy in my tingly areas!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    An unbelievable job to acquire anything of worth for Bargs. Hopefully, Cambyses can be flipped easily to allow the raps to amnesty one of their other terrible contracts. Decline the payer option for Lowry and hope that Wiggins lands where he is needed.

Im happy to be a Raptor fan today.
    Don't get too excited about Wiggins coming home. For starters, I don't have any faith in the Toronto fan base to not put so much pressure on this kid that they break him if stumbles at all or fails to live up to the hype even a bit. But more importantly is that the Raptors aren't positioned to tank the way they would need to to get the best chance at Wiggins.

As it stands, the Celtics look pretty freaking bad until Rondo gets back, which won't be in time for the start of the season and based on Derrick Rose's timeline could not even be at all. The Sixers blew up their squad entirely and are clearly gunning for that #1 pick. That's two teams just within the Raptors' division who are better positioned to tank.

Then you look around the league and the Bobcats are still the Bobcats, Orlando plans on playing their rookie shooting guard at point guard, Milwaukee will presumably sign the guys they need to be competitive but right now that roster is not. That's just the East.

Utah is Philadelphia-West in that they've blown it all up and will hand the reigns to a rookie point guard, Phoenix is still in shambles, Sacramento has new ownership but they still have many of the same players that made them dysfunctional, the Lakers probably should bottom out for a year with Kobe on the shelf and only one NBA starter on the roster in Pau Gasol remaining and you can't be so certain that the efforts to get more competitive in New Orleans and Minnesota will work.

The good news is that next year's draft projects to be a loaded one with up to maybe a dozen future All-Stars. All you really need to do is miss the playoffs to land a very good player - a player who could instantly be the team's best or second best guy.

We don't know what ownership's mandate to Masai Ujiri is. We know the Raptors haven't been to the playoffs in a while and my guess is they don't want to wait around to get competitive. That wouldn't be the championship-building model but it is a money-making model. The fans continue to come out in droves for Raptors basketball and they will certainly come out for the playoffs, even if it means being first round fodder for the Miami Heat. Just getting those two extra home games at the jacked up prices playoff basketball demands could be seen as worth it to ownership.

But taking this trade strictly at face value - I like it. He got rid of a problem a lot of people presumed they would have to amnesty and instead got value in return. You have to be excited about that. Ujiri was a part of some of the Raptors' successful teams under Colangelo and was a part of keeping the Nuggets competitive even while held hostage by Carmelo Anthony. He understands how to pile up assets and maintain cap flexibility. He can put a good roster out there without blowing the team up.

If he does blow it up and the Raptors get Wiggins that would be a great story. If he does blow it up and the Raptors don't get Wiggins they could still be getting a really great player. And if he doesn't blow it up they could get a great player as well.

In any case, this is just one of many moves I expect are coming. Change isn't always great but in this case the most important change was at the top and I am excited to see what Ujiri can do.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg