Poll: Which Center would you build around in real life? And why?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Real Life: Giroux vs. Kopitar vs. E.Staal vs. Backstrom

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think it's neck and neck between Kopitar and Giroux, but I'd probably give the edge to Giroux because he averages 1.1 points per playoff game compared to Kopitar's .77. I also feel like, despite there being some validity to the idea that Giroux needs to mature a bit more and grow into the captain's role, it's hard to argue with a guy that can do this when it matters most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tit_fbYnmLc

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like giroux's compete level the most. It was evident in the first round series against the pens in '12. Just hates to lose and has amazing offensive skills. He can take over a game offensively or shut down the other teams best play. He has a way of getting in their head. I think he has the most heart on this list but maybe cause I am bias as a flyers fan and seen him the most.

I watched a few kings games over the years and kopitar plays a solid game but that's it. I watched a few kings games this playoffs and kopitar didn't really standout. He played well but his play didn't match the praise he seems to get.

Backstrom has amazing skills but is more of a playmaker. If I am building a team around a guy, I want someone who can take over a game all by himself. Backstrom sometimes relies too much on his skill and not enough with his heart.

Staal is a great player but I kinda feel he lacks the passion and drive for success that giroux and kopitar have.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Wizard

In real life, give me Kopitar and Staal, the two players than have already won a Cup.

Kopitar isn't even 25, and is the best defensively, and can put up ppg numbers. Definitely first choice. The Cup win in 2012 seals it IMO.

Staal is a Champion, and an Olympic Gold Medalist. A ppg forward who plays with fire, and is still in his prime.

Giroux is great offensively, but the Flyers have done nothing the past two years. Although, same could be said for Staal.

Backstrom is last on the list for me. Not sure where he'd be without Ovie, although would still have him as a 70pt player.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    In real life, give me Kopitar and Staal, the two players than have already won a Cup.

Kopitar isn't even 25, and is the best defensively, and can put up ppg numbers. Definitely first choice. The Cup win in 2012 seals it IMO.

Staal is a Champion, and an Olympic Gold Medalist. A ppg forward who plays with fire, and is still in his prime.

Giroux is great offensively, but the Flyers have done nothing the past two years. Although, same could be said for Staal.

Backstrom is last on the list for me. Not sure where he'd be without Ovie, although would still have him as a 70pt player.

Cheers.
    Not sure your giroux comment holds water. Yes the flyers didn't make the playoffs this year but there were a lot of factors because of that. He still put up ppg numbers.

The year before he was 3rd in the league in scoring during the regular season and 4th in the playoffs despite only playing 10 games. He matched up against the best player in the league in the first round and dominated him. So much so that Crosby fractured both of giroux's wrists during the series, which was a big reason why he and the flyers couldn't do much against the devils.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Initiate

Claude Giroux is by far the best in the defensive zone than anyone else on this list IMO... He is the life blood of the flyers if he is not going the team is done... I do feel the same about Staal if he isnt going the Canes aren't... But Staal isn't nearly as good as giroux in the defensive zone and Giroux has gotten more points than anyone on this list over in both the last two years other than Staal this year... I just think IRL Giroux is top 5 or 6 in value in the NHL...
    10 Team Roto League; 20 Keepers;
    Start 3C,3LW,3RW,1U,5D,2G

Stats: G,A,Pts,PPG,PPA,Pims,+/- W,Sv%,Sv
    C: Tavares Thorton H. Sedin
    LW: Moulson Clowe D. Sedin Whitney
    RW: Hossa Gaborik Pomminville Pavelski Purcell Heatley
    D: Bieska Boyle
    G: Smith Nabobov Bishop Lindback Ramo Luongo

12 teams 12 keepers
    Points Only

F: Spezza, Brown, Lecavalier, Horton, Elias, Weiss, Desharnais,
    D: Whitney, Zidlicky, Brodin
    G: Smith, Schnieder
    Farm: Justin Faulk, Ryan Ellis, Krill Kabanov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    Giroux lacks the kind of leadership I'd like to build my team around. He's a good player, but I see him as childish and petty (You'd never see Sakic, Toews, Lidstrom, and Brodeur doing stuff like fake-flipping pucks to opposing teams' fans or talking to the media about how you 'don't like' a certain team or their fans. I just don't see those kinds of antics inspiring a group of players). He's still young though so he may develop into a good leader - same goes for Kopitar and Backstrom who I don't think of as leaders when I first think of them.
    Well with this logic I guess Sidney Crosby is a worse leader and even more childish because he was 10x worse in the series last year than anything giroux did... He was the one flipping peoples gloves and saying to the media I just really hate that team... I personally think hating a team shows passion and compete because they are your enemy

You can just say but last year in the first round giroux wasnt going to start game 6... He says to Lavs no I am going to start put me on the ice... Lavs does so giroux rocks the best player in the game than takes it down and scores.... If that is not leadership I dont know what is... Shows both leadership on adn off the ice with that

12 teams 12 keepers
    Points Only

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheRook View Post
    Not sure your giroux comment holds water. Yes the flyers didn't make the playoffs this year but there were a lot of factors because of that. He still put up ppg numbers.
    His offensive stats are great, but respectfully, don't see the Flyers making the playoffs next year either.

Dobber Sports Legend

The Flyers would have been well-served to keep Jagr around this year. Last year, he not only helped Giroux become a good leader, he inspired players like Hartnell and Voracek. This year all eyes were on Giroux and lofty expectations were (unfairly) heaped upon the puppies Schenn and Couturier. The Flyers are still going through some growing pains and a slight transition - I'm curious to see what they do on the trade front over the next 14 days. Giroux leaves it all on the ice and is a rock in front of the ridiculous Philly media - the same media that Lindros and Richards couldn't handle.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    The Flyers would have been well-served to keep Jagr around this year. Last year, he not only helped Giroux become a good leader, he inspired players like Hartnell and Voracek. This year all eyes were on Giroux and lofty expectations were (unfairly) heaped upon the puppies Schenn and Couturier. The Flyers are still going through some growing pains and a slight transition - I'm curious to see what they do on the trade front over the next 14 days. Giroux leaves it all on the ice and is a rock in front of the ridiculous Philly media - the same media that Lindros and Richards couldn't handle.
    Yeah I totally agree I think the number one player he helped was Hartnell who looked a little lost this year... That philly D is the reason they didnt make the playoffs not Giroux he did what he could... Untill they fix that it wont ever happen... Yes Streit wont help there defensive defiencies... Love to see scudari come and that would make a world of difference... Than watch Giroux and the flyers take off

12 teams 12 keepers
    Points Only

Dobber Sports Guru

Giroux/Kopitar - very close, Kopitar is a beast but I love how Giroux competes. If someone held a gun to my head I would probably take Giroux just because I think he has a slightly better upside.
    Staal
    Backstrom

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd take Giroux out of the 4, then Staal. The other 2 while sublimely talented, I don't really view as "foundation" material.

For starters I personally think Giroux is tier above the other 3 in terms of offensive talent. He's a very dynamic and creative player who has the ability to make the guys around him better (on the ice) - I see Staal as more of a shoot-first goal scoring type which isn't a bad thing, but in terms of building my team around one guy - I'd rather have the dynamic center than the sniper.

I think Giroux is a fine leader as well - I don't know how many of you watched HBO's series last year, but I think it showed that he has leadership quality in spades. He is an inspiring, gutsy player, he plays hard every shift, he's vocal and he has swagger. Not to mention he is the youngest of the group and will only get better as a leader with age. Obviously I'm not in the locker room but it would shock me if Giroux didn't have the utmost respect from all of his team mates. I'm sure management has better insight than we do into the locker room, and the fact that they shipped out both Richards and Carter should say something about their conviction in Giroux's leadership capabilities.

Banned

Staal and Backstrom aren't close to the other two. The great leader Eric Staal who has led his team two two playoff berths in his career. Laughable