Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Let's rank the NHL captains from best to worst

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think we need to distinguish between being a good captain and playing on a good team here... they are not necessarily always correlated.

You can be a good captain on a shitty team (ie: Doan, Staal) and also a shitty captain on a good team (Thornton, Sedin). A team's performance in the regular season/playoffs does not always reflect the captain's degree of effectiveness.

Administrator

The best captains are the ones with good assistants. On any team, let alone a team as large as a hockey team you need more than one leader. No one man can change the entire culture of a room. It takes more than that, meaning help from other players, from coaches, from management, from trainers, from ownership, from everyone.

Captains can absolutely set the tone for a team with their work ethic, dedication, attitude, etc. but they also need help to do so. I also think that we aren't nearly involved enough to accurately determine who are the best ones because so much of what they do happens behind the scenes in the lockerroom, in practice, at the hotel, etc.

A few great qualities that I look for in a captain:

Coachability - You need a player who can take getting reamed out by the coach without making it bigger than it is. You need a player willing to take instruction and actively seeking out that instruction because it sets the example for everyone else. If the captain can take, so can you.

Charisma - If you don't believe in charisma you must be living under a rock. Some people are just magnetic and they can be for different reasons but whatever your draw is people tend to want to fall in line behind charming people. That's just the way it is. Without some amount of natural charm it's going to be an uphill climb getting people to believe in your leadership.

Work ethic - We can see the work ethic of players on the ice but we can't see them in practice, in the gym, in their diet, at the hotel, etc. If your leader knows how and when to get down to business then others will fall in line. We can see on the ice that guys will run through a brick wall but there are forms of that in practice and in general life that are as important to preparing to play the games and really you build towards that running through the brick wall by living that way in the other parts of your life.

Understanding of the game: Good captains are going to know how to play the games within the game. They know to allow a little thing to happen once or twice early because people will try it again and they can get them on it. They know how to talk to refs and get favourable calls for their team. They know how to cheat and not get called.

And there are plenty others. Championships are like houses, built one brick at a time. Good leaders set a solid foundation and add as many of the small bricks as they can to give their team a leg up. The rest of the guys have to lay the rest of the bricks.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Charisma - If you don't believe in charisma you must be living under a rock. Some people are just magnetic and they can be for different reasons but whatever your draw is people tend to want to fall in line behind charming people. That's just the way it is. Without some amount of natural charm it's going to be an uphill climb getting people to believe in your leadership.
    Captain Serious disagrees (both figuratively and literally).

In fact now that I really think about it, I wouldn't describe many of the great captains as "charismatic" at all. On the contrary, most of them actually seem pretty serious: Toews, Sakic, Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

In fact now that I really think about it, I wouldn't describe many of the great captains as "charismatic" at all. On the contrary, most of them actually seem pretty serious: Toews, Sakic, Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc.
    I'm not talking about who is extroverted and who is introverted. I'm talking about magnetism. You can be loud, you can be quiet, you can be happy go lucky or you can be serious, some people just demand your attention more than others. It's about having peoples' trust and respect. There are all sorts of different types of leaders but you can't lead without respect. Respect is certainly earned through all sorts of means but some people you just meet and immediately respect. That's charm and it comes in all forms.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

Being charismatic and being serious aren't mutually exclusive propositions.

There was an incredible charisma in the way Sakic conducted himself with humility and quiet confidence - a lot of the same demeanor I see in Toews. They are serious but they can inspire their teammates.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I also think that we aren't nearly involved enough to accurately determine who are the best ones because so much of what they do happens behind the scenes in the lockerroom, in practice, at the hotel, etc.
    That sentence should sum up this thread.

Dobber Sports Icon

Great concept and md raises a great point about the alternates playing a huge role. I think the best Captain/Alternates combos have to go to Anaheim (Getz, Teemu, Koivu) and Detroit (Zetts/Datsyuk/Kronwall). Ottawa's Alfredsson/Spezza/Phillips combo would probably be pretty inspiring as well.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Sage

The hatred for Ovechkin around here really bothers me! It is so unfounded in my eyes!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

He stands out. People don't like hockey players who stand out personality-wise. I think in many ways he's a very good captain. He stands up for his teammates, he's always the happiest guy on the team when ANYONE scores for the Caps. Like most guys, he's slowly figuring it out. Most guys don't turn into great captain material until a bit into the 30s because of their maturity level. Hell, just look at Toews. Almost universally praised as a leader, yet he was crying like a baby in the Detroit matchup. That's not what a great captain does. But he'll get there.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    The hatred for Ovechkin around here really bothers me! It is so unfounded in my eyes!
    Ovechkin is a one-dimensional player who only plays half the ice (i bet you can guess which half). Any team whose leader quits when he or his mates don'thave the puck has a terrible leader.

Ovechkin is a GR8 goal scorer, but he is an over-rated hockey player and he is a terrible captain. It is no coincindence that all of his awards are personal and not team oriented. No team will ever win the cup with Ovie as their leader.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Don't confuse hatred with honest observation. I like Ovechkin as a player but think he's a horrible captain. The same with Lindros - loved him as a player but he wasn't captain material. You can still be a great player and poor captain.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    He stands out. People don't like hockey players who stand out personality-wise. I think in many ways he's a very good captain. He stands up for his teammates, he's always the happiest guy on the team when ANYONE scores for the Caps. Like most guys, he's slowly figuring it out. Most guys don't turn into great captain material until a bit into the 30s because of their maturity level. Hell, just look at Toews. Almost universally praised as a leader, yet he was crying like a baby in the Detroit matchup. That's not what a great captain does. But he'll get there.

He's already there - despite his frustrations with detroit (however you want to describe them: you call it crying I call it frustrations. The closest thing we've had to crying these playoffs is Crosby vs Bruins) - despite everything he still stepped up his game and scored against them. Even though it was one goal it was a crushing blow to Detroit as evidenced by the series outcome.

I was actually really disappointed in Zetterberg and crew for not inspiring the Red Wings to finish the Hawks when they were down. I would never have expected Detroit to choke so hard by giving up a 3-1 series lead - but then again you have to give Toews credit. Rumor has it that in the locker room in the intermission before game 7's overtime, Toews stood up and said "We'll beat them 3-1." That's leadership.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Ninja

From a Captaincy perspective, "crying" is not such a bad thing in my opinion. It shows emotion and like it or not, it does have an effect on the refs.

Obviously there are limits to this, but I don't mind seeing a Captain who isn't afraid to get in the face of the ref to make a case for his team.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's cultural. I think Ovechkin is actually a pretty decent captain overall but his last name isn't Smith or Brown and he isn't a robot in interviews and on the ice.

Ovechkin would be one of the tops on my own personal list.

Dobber Sports Monster

This seems to of turned into a new thread about Ovechkin.

Anyway...

I like Toews is a great captain, on the ice and off the ice ( what we can see and hear about) I am sure there is much more we do not get to see on a daily basis.

Also, I think Zetterberg is a solid captain, I am sure his leadership and voice had a lot to do with helping that team go as far as they did.