Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hey Dobber

Dobber Sports Master

Hi Rick, I've just made a donation to this worthy cause and it got me thinking. We should do one of these every year. Pick a good cause and just hammer it with donations. Its kinda like a charity flash mob. Love it.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Hi Rick, I've just made a donation to this worthy cause and it got me thinking. We should do one of these every year. Pick a good cause and just hammer it with donations. Its kinda like a charity flash mob. Love it.
    I'd be on board for that!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Mister McGoo - I need a spreadsheet to calculate the leverage your original contribution to our microfinance program has created - if you did nothing else, you created a legacy for poor Khmer families that access that fund - it just keeps revolving and good things are happening. If you took this one off, you are still way out in front, pal. So tell me how this email stuff works because I don't have a clue.

AW and Dakkster - thanks for your bricks - the wall is going higher. Will be in touch.
    Last edited by Shoeless; June 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sounds like we have a committee forming make this a regular event. This would be an interesting discussion to have for sure. But, I don't know why the forum membership would want to settle for just having their own fundraiser annually when they can have their own program in Cambodia. I'm cracking the packaging on a hard core street kids program as we speak, that is looking for backing. Just got confirmation today that an inductee of the Saskatoon Sports Hall of Fame has signed on as my partner in crime on that project - pretty exciting.

Here's a story for ya. http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...tml?id=8584043
    Last edited by Shoeless; June 27, 2013 at 3:14 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Total update - 1083.49 (USD)

Random things about what we are doing:

1. Khmer people refer to those who contribute to their well-being as Papa - meaning 'other father' - caregiver. Whole bunch of papas just got made this last week or so.

2. A top 3 reason people don't give to campaigns like this - they believe their contribution isn't enough to make a difference. Wanna ask someone who doesn't have the $5 to buy their medication next month, whether it does or not? I can arrange a skype session.

3. In the sky, there is no separation between east and west - we all live under the same umbrella.

4. Looks like cdubb can solve my paypal constipation - what a team! His dear wife has a passion for forensic accounting so I don't think we are going to be getting away with anything shady.

5. My new dilemma, how am I ever going to effectively pay tribute to the members of these forums, who have stepped up so royally to change the world for the better? My homework assignment I guess.
    Last edited by Shoeless; June 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Total update - 1083.49 (USD)

Random things about what we are doing:

1. Khmer people refer to those who contribute to their well-being as Papa - meaning 'other father' - caregiver. Whole bunch of papas just got made this last week or so.

2. A top 3 reason people don't give to campaigns like this - they believe their contribution isn't enough to make a difference. Wanna ask someone who doesn't have the $5 to buy their medication next month, whether it does or not? I can arrange a skype session.

3. In the sky, there is no separation between east and west - we all live under the same umbrella.

4. Looks like cdubb can solve my paypal constipation - what a team! His dear wife has a passion for forensic accounting so I don't think we are going to be getting away with anything shady.

5. My new dilemma, how am I ever going to effectively pay tribute to the members of these forums, who have stepped up so royally to change the world for the better? My homework assignment I guess.

Wicked awesome.

I love the forensic accounting quip lol. And every penny always makes a difference. I'm glad to see dollars going directly to help the need, instead of profit machine type charity efforts...

As far as your homework goes man, I think you do enough around here which is why people wanted to give. Just be yourself.

Really cool campaign. Genuine.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I dunno - that $1000 is going to result in several saved lives, many healthier families and at least a few more productive communities. How can we not glorify the choice Pud McFudd, from Pork Rind, Manitoba, made to send some of his money half way around the world to help folks he certainly doesn't know and likely knows nothing about? He's a hero just by pushing that button.

Dobber Sports Master

I dunno - that $1000 is going to result in several saved lives, many healthier families and at least a few more productive communities. How can we not glorify the choice Pud McFudd, from Pork Rind, Manitoba, made to send some of his money half way around the world to help folks he certainly doesn't know and likely knows nothing about? He's a hero just by pushing that button.
    Amen.

Obligatory additional characters to make the post valid.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports All-Star

Hey guys, this was way too long of a thread to read all of it but I would like to contribute as well. Can you send me the Paypal address to do so? Thanks and have a great trip!
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    Hey guys, this was way too long of a thread to read all of it but I would like to contribute as well. Can you send me the Paypal address to do so? Thanks and have a great trip!
    That info is in the thread, so just go back and read it from the beginning
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

$1093.49 and the beat goes on!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    That info is in the thread, so just go back and read it from the beginning
    My way was easier, lol.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Always a compelling story out there. Here ya go: I got this message from a friend a few hours ago. I visited a friend's home yesterday and found out that they have a 7 year old paraplegic brother. They are a very poor family living out toward phnom kroum in a small hut next to the rice fields. When I went in their home, the child was just laying on the wooden floor. He looked healthy. However, obviously this is extremely hard for the family especially financially. My friend also told me that they wanted to bring the child to school since he is mentally fine. However, they also don't have any wheelchair etc.

I have a daughter with cerebral palsy - I cannot imagine trying to raise a child with these issues when your family lives in poverty. Anyway, here's the good news. The boy has now been referred to yet another friend at Safe Haven Medical Outreach who works with children with physical challenges like this - and I am working directly with her to target the appropriate support. I figure if I need a wheelchair to make the trip to Cambodia on Korean Airlines, I'm probably not going to have to pay overweight fees on baggage, huh? Very cunning Shoeless - but a wheelchair that would carry your fat ass could likely serve as a whole school bus for kids like this - are you also going to pay for the kid to get his bus driver's licence? Uh - oh yeah - okay cunning plan B coming up.
    Last edited by Shoeless; June 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM.

Banned

Mister McGoo - I need a spreadsheet to calculate the leverage your original contribution to our microfinance program has created - if you did nothing else, you created a legacy for poor Khmer families that access that fund - it just keeps revolving and good things are happening. If you took this one off, you are still way out in front, pal. So tell me how this email stuff works because I don't have a clue.

AW and Dakkster - thanks for your bricks - the wall is going higher. Will be in touch.
    That's so awesome man! The whole micro-finance approach is such a brilliant idea and the success of the No Name Bank gives me faith in humanity once again.

For the PayPal thing, it's pretty straightforward. Just login to your PP account and at the top you should see a link for 'Request Money' (it should look similar to this: http://i.imgur.com/1pIuK2Z.png). Then you just enter my email address and it will send me an invoice that I can pay with credit card. Put me down for $50.

You really should put together a fundraising program for this on an annual basis. Plus if you can get official charity status too then PayPal will waive all the fees I believe? The great thing about this effort is that you're on the ground over there so you can tell us exactly what is the greatest need each year and apply the funds where they will do the most good. Grass roots efforts like this are where it's at man, so many big name 'charities' here in the US steal most of the donations for themselves for 'operating costs' and that's bullshit and not something I want to support, but this is getting the money where it needs to be most and in the hands of those who can best decide how to make the greatest impact.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks Scott - very generous. I did see that option but didn't explore it - now I know and will definitely send off the invoice. Hoping you and your wife get over sometime - that would be fun.

Edit: sent invoice
    Last edited by Shoeless; July 1, 2013 at 3:40 AM.