Thread: Franson, Ehroff, Carlson, Gonchar, Wideman

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Franson, Ehroff, Carlson, Gonchar, Wideman

Points only, in a win-now mode... finished 2nd last season, but without the lock-out, there was a good chance to catch the leader.
    I already keep Shattenkirk, I want to protect another dman, maybe two.

Franson
    Ehroff
    Carlson
    Gonchar
    Wideman

In what order do you take them? If I keep two, I would have to drop either Pavelski or Ray Whitney, who btw I think is vastly underrated with only next season in mind.
    Cheers!
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    Points only, in a win-now mode... finished 2nd last season, but without the lock-out, there was a good chance to catch the leader.
    I already keep Shattenkirk, I want to protect another dman, maybe two.

Franson
    Ehroff
    Carlson
    Gonchar
    Wideman

In what order do you take them? If I keep two, I would have to drop either Pavelski or Ray Whitney, who btw I think is vastly underrated with only next season in mind.
    Cheers!
    Ehrhoff
    Carlson
    Gonchar
    Franson
    Wideman

I would drop Whitney before Pavelski if you have to chose one, even though I agree his short term value is still solid... It likely isn't vastly better than Pavelski's, while Pavelski still carries solid trade value short term and long term.

Dobber Sports Star

If going for it, id keep Ehrhoff and Gonchar.

Carlson is gold but still second fiddle to Green, Franson and Wideman both solid but Id roll the dice on Gonchar putting up 45 points.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Legend

For next year:

1. Carlson
    2. Gonchar
    3. Ehrhoff
    4. Franson
    5. Wideman
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

Ehrhoff and Gonchar for me.

After that Carlson, Franson, then Wideman. Non are bad options, but Ehrhoff and Gonchar are the stand-outs in my books.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    For next year:

1. Carlson
    2. Gonchar
    3. Ehrhoff
    4. Franson
    5. Wideman
    Always valued your opinion about defensemen fungchen, tell me: why Carlson on the top of that list? It seems that he had the chance to get a bigger role this year again with Green being injured, but he couldn't do it. I fear he won't be able to take that next step into the 40-45 points range.

Otherwise, I'm a bit surprised that Franson doesn't receive much love... Granted, Phaneuf and Gardiner especially will threaten his point production, but the guy has been as consistent as they come this year. Top 10 dmen producer, sustainable shooting % and increasing role /*icetime as the season rolled along... It feels like he really gained Carlyle's confidence. Before this thread, I actually had him 1st or 2nd on my list, with Ehrhoff and maybe Carlson.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Star

I don't see Carlson doing much next year. If anything, Green cemented his role and pushed Carlson even further back. Green gets injured, different story, but I think you gotta take a guy like Ehrhoff and even Gonchar who are locks on the top unit with zero competition.

Carlson looking at 30 seconds of PP time.
    Last edited by loco man; June 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    I don't see Carlson doing much next year. If anything, Green cemented his role and pushed Carlson even further back. Green gets injured, different story, but I think you gotta take a guy like Ehrhoff and even Gonchar who are locks on the top unit with zero competition.

Carlson looking at 30 seconds of PP time.
    I find it interesting that Green put together a string of 15-18 healthy and productive games (for the first time in years) in an anomoly-ridden shortened season, and everyone is drinking the Kool-Aid and thinking that the Mike Green of 4 years ago is back. Don't kid yourself, Green will get injured, and early in the season, at which point Carlson gets the bulk of the PP times on a Washington team that has regained it's offensive form under Oats....that PP was lethal last season and #1 in the league most of the way.

I find it tough to believe that everyone here has Carlson at or near the bottom of their lists. Last season (his third), he was on pace for 40 points and was still getting PP time and racking up points down the stretch even with a healthy and productive Green in the line-up. Next year is his magical fourth season, which could result in a career year and breakthrough campaign. I don't think 45-50 point is unrealistic for Carson next season, which puts him close to the top of the list for me as well.

I will take Erhoff and Carlson out of this bunch as they are the most likely to end up in the 45-50 range. I don't think Gonchar has that in him anymore, and too much competition for Franson to get that many.

My order is:

Erhoff (by a nose)
    Carson
    Wideman (shitty team but put up great numbers last year and gets all the prime PP time now)
    Gonchar
    Franson
    Last edited by Shiva Blaster; June 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ehrhoff
    Carlson/Gonchar
    Franson
    Wideman

Essentially all you have to go on is speculation.

Ehrhoff - I like the possibility that Ehrhoff has what it takes to belong at the top of this list -- he has the talent and gets the PP time and PK time to really contribute to all cat's. He's also not going to ever be competing for his QB position on the Buffalo PP. He is the most likely of this group to me to have 35-50 points, I know that's a big range but he's the only one who really has the talent to hit that mark.

Carlson - I have always liked Carlson, but he really has never stricken me as the player to replace an injured Green. He does have the talent to be a 30-40 player but I really can't put his ceiling above 40 points. He's a really good defenseman too which will keep him logging bit minutes and taking the body -- he's not just offensively minded like Gonchar. I still see him more of a 27-32 point type of guy, he does have the potential to reach that 40 pnt mark. In my mind.

Gonchar - Gonchar is the high-risk/high-reward one in the bunch for me because we all know he's capable of putting up top 10-15 D-man fan points on a seasonal basis. His age is less of a factor than if he were a fwrd -- he goes back to playing with Go Go and will be heavily leaned upon on the PP with the likes of Benn, Erikson, and Goli, gotta like him stepping into that PP. I see 30-40 way more possible than Carlson but both players are really around that potential. It's also very possible that Gonch has a hard time transferring teams again and ends up in the 25-30 point range.

Franson - He has been logging big minutes even with Phaneuf on the team and he shone in the playoffs this year and showed that he can be that player that makes an impact when it's needed. I like his skill-set way more than Phaneuf. Carlson still get's PP time and the second PP unit is pretty damn good for the Leafs too, I would just expect his numbers to slowly but gradually climb over the next few years. I see 27-33 points out of this guy out of a full season.

Wideman - Last of the bunch for me. Gets the chance to play on top PP, but on a horrible team with a little ways to go before their PP and 5 on 5 lines stack up like the other previously mentioned players and their respective teams. I would see him consistently putting up anywhere from 22-28 points every year until the Flames land a stud superstar or Wideman moves.

Good luck.. and again, this is just my opinion.
    edit - I would only keep Ehrhoff out of the bunch given what you have on your team already. Franson, Wideman, and likely Carlson are all potentially re-draftable in a decent round so you might lose the chance to redraft Gonchar. I would keep Ehrhoff and drop Whitney from your forwards.
    Last edited by CT-Chill; June 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM.
    10 team Cumulative Points Only - Keep 4
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.