Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Parise or Stepan

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by JayIKing View Post
    While there is a risk that people can do that, its not something we welcome in our league. If you are in a cash league and someone does that to you its gonna tick you off, because you have something at stake.

It is something the league frowns on, so you can call it censorship, or you can call it maintaining integrity
    I am not in your league and I smelled a rat. That being said, a league that has managers that rely 100% on forum posts without filtering the information is IMO a weak one. A league that has a manager create multiple accounts on a forum to influence a poster is weak as well. I don't think rules or censorship can fix these core issues...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I am not in your league and I smelled a rat. That being said, a league that has managers that rely 100% on forum posts without filtering the information is IMO a weak one. A league that has a manager create multiple accounts on a forum to influence a poster is weak as well. I don't think rules or censorship can fix these core issues...
    Certainly agree that you would like to have independent managers, but they have both built solid teams and its not like they are on here asking about everyone of their deals.

It is also why the League office is considering next steps. If you are so confident in your abilities shoot me a PM and when a spot opens up you are welcome to try your luck

The league is very competitive deep and has a bunch of incredible hockey minds. 16 teams with 25 man rosters and 20 man minor teams creates a very deep league where checking scores will get you nothing. Follow hockey as a whole or find yourself on the outside looking in.

Dobber Sports Giant

The league is very competitive deep and has a bunch of incredible hockey minds.
    The thread is about Parise vs Stepan?!!!

It is also why the League office is considering next steps. If you are so confident in your abilities shoot me a PM and when a spot opens up you are welcome to try your luck
    Hehe, all jokes aside, keep me posted if something opens up, I like pools with 14+ teams that have managers that are competitive and active.

Cheers!
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Not saying that at all, we are saying that when you ask for advice you dont ask the guy you are dealing with, they likely are biased.
    I still don't get it. Why would anyone ask the trading partner for advice in the first place? This just sounds more and more absurd...

While there is a risk that people can do that, its not something we welcome in our league. If you are in a cash league and someone does that to you its gonna tick you off, because you have something at stake.

It is something the league frowns on, so you can call it censorship, or you can call it maintaining integrity
    Of course it's censorship. It's ridiculous! Maintaining integrity? You sound like George W Bush rationalizing the Patriot Act even though parts of it infringes on the constitution.

If you ask for advice, it is up to you to filter that advice. If you rely 100% on other people's advice, you only have yourself to blame if a deal goes south. Besides, how do you guys prove that someone is making a fake persona to influence their trading partners if you don't have IP addresses and whatnot?

I have never ever heard of that kind of Big Brother/1984 behavior in any league. Maintaining integrity?? SMH
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Genius

This was a lot more entertaining than one would think. Thanks guys!
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I still don't get it. Why would anyone ask the trading partner for advice in the first place? This just sounds more and more absurd...

Of course it's censorship. It's ridiculous! Maintaining integrity? You sound like George W Bush rationalizing the Patriot Act even though parts of it infringes on the constitution.

If you ask for advice, it is up to you to filter that advice. If you rely 100% on other people's advice, you only have yourself to blame if a deal goes south. Besides, how do you guys prove that someone is making a fake persona to influence their trading partners if you don't have IP addresses and whatnot?

I have never ever heard of that kind of Big Brother/1984 behavior in any league. Maintaining integrity?? SMH

Wooowwww. You seem to be really offended by all of this? I am guessing that maybe someone has done this to you before by using Dobber?.....

Dobber Sports Rookie

They wouldnt... but then you come to a seperate forum seeking advice from other fantasy hockey guys and low and behold.. its the guy your trading with following you around, telling you exactly what he wants you to hear.

Patriot act? Wow... i think hit a nerve. This is fantasy hockey, its a fun league with a good group of guys. We dont want people in the league who are gonna sneak around and pull this kind of stuff. We arent running a country here, just a fantasy hockey league. Seems like a stretch to compare it to terrorism.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well can't say we didn't try to warn you. Hope you're happy with the package you received because it sounds like your trading partner is.

As for these two clowns, obviously it's well within their right to do what they did as it is a public forum, I guess there's no such thing as respect or honour anymore. That just reeks of bush league shit right there. I sincerely hope the two of them lose this pool for years to come. I could understand looking to see if a league mate posts a thread and see what the feedback is, but to make false accounts to dupe the trade partner? Bush league.

And as a moderator that may have approved these two clowns, makes me feel even worse.

Also, not sure if Pengwin will see this but I'm too lazy to go back and quote his post as I'm on my phone, but doesn't Parise's lopsided advantage in SOG negate or even better Stepan's value in FOW? Personally I feel like it's easier to find a FOW replacement than a guy who will get the ice time and has the mentality to shoot the puck as much as Parise. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Also, not sure if Pengwin will see this but I'm too lazy to go back and quote his post as I'm on my phone, but doesn't Parise's lopsided advantage in SOG negate or even better Stepan's value in FOW? Personally I feel like it's easier to find a FOW replacement than a guy who will get the ice time and has the mentality to shoot the puck as much as Parise. Thoughts?
    YUP, take the M.Cullen vs D.Brunner. Cullen actually has more points and a better +- than Brunner this year and he ranks below Brunner on Yahoo's rankings, mainly cause Damien has more goals and more shots (usually there is a correlation there too).

Minors:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

As a category score for SOG... we could give a 200 SOG player (this season) 1.0/1.0 points.

In SOG, Parise's 180 SOG = 0.9pts
    In SOG, Stepan's 100 SOG = 0.5pts
    [So... +0.4pt lead for Parise]

As a category score for FOW... we could give a 600 FOW player (this season) 1.0/1.0 points.

In FOW, Parise = 0.0pts
    In FOW, Stepan = 0.7pts
    [Now, it's a 0.3pt lead for Stepan]

In +/-, we can also give out scores. Typically I find a +30 is max, -30 is min.
    In +/-, Parise = 0.5pts (about avg for +2)
    In +/-, Stepan = 0.9pts (for his +25)
    [Now, it's a 0.7pt lead for Stepan. Though +/- is volatile year-to-year]

You'd have to do this across the board in all categories.

In the scoring categories, I think Parise is worth 0.7pts in G, A, PPP (70pt scorer) and Stepan is worth 0.6pts in those. That'll swing 3x0.1pts back to Parise

[Stepan still leads by 0.4pts]
    SHP, Hits, Blocks... all probably a wash. About even.

That's all 9 offensive categories.

Something like that.
    My past calculations tell me this trade is close.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; May 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

YUP, take the M.Cullen vs D.Brunner. Cullen actually has more points and a better +- than Brunner this year and he ranks below Brunner on Yahoo's rankings, mainly cause Damien has more goals and more shots (usually there is a correlation there too).

Brunner's 10 PPP vs. Cullen's 4 PPP is the greatest factor giving Brunner more Yahoo Rank value.

The lower the total count of a statistic... the greater the weighting of a single count in that statistic.

I actually figured out the EXACT amount that Yahoo attributes to each stat this year for their Rank. Here it is:

Goals: 1.55455 points per goal.
    Assists: 1.21092 points per assist.
    +/-: 1 point for each plus. (or -1 for each negative)
    PIM: 0.35873 points per penalty minute
    PPP: 1.61476 points per power play point
    SOG: 0.2760 points per shot on goal

You can total skaters total points for this year's statistics with those values and sort them.
    You will get the EXACT same ordered rank as Yahoo's "rank".

With that info, you could do predictions for two players in this 6-category format and determine which player has more total "value".

More random info.
    Last year in the NHL

2525 total PPP
    3821 total goals
    6567 total assists
    16340 total PIM
    41964 total SOG

PPP = more important stat to stockpile in fantasy hockey.
    You'll hear me say this 100 times next September during one-year drafts in multi-cat. My new #1 most-important tip in deep fantasy leagues. Draft PPP first.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hi Guys !

What an impressive thread this has become, I thought it was about time I put in a Word or two.

- I actually had decided to go for Stepan before i asked in here. I have a very strong team and fire a lot of shots (ranked 1 by 200 shots), but I was weak in faceoffs (ranked 8th behind by 1000). I felt this would make my team stronger in the long run.

Also Parise has a $30/1yr contract while stepan is a FA and will have his new salary based on the comming orank from Yahoo. I think/hope it will end around $20-25 and I will save some cap. In a year I have some Guys who need a big raise in salary Giroux $10, Karlsson $10, Letang $10. By this trade I feel I stay competetive and hopefully saves abit of cap along with other trades i have made.

- About my trade partner giving advice to me, I actually smelled the rat al the way here to Denmark! especially since the same guy answered twice in a row with different answers. ( I gues he forgot to switch user before answering Again) but i didnt really care, I got some different opinions and made the decision I felt best for my team.

- The trade itself well I maybe overpaied especially with the prospect, but we look at where we ended from the first offer he sent me, then I am happy and feel like I got the best player for my team.

DO THE TRADE YOU FEEL IS BEST FOR YOUR TEAM AND THEN FORGET ALL ABOUT IT !!

Thats what I have done here..

Thanks Guys for all your response I love the community here in Dobberhockey, you can always expect some good advice.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by staj18 View Post
    Wooowwww. You seem to be really offended by all of this? I am guessing that maybe someone has done this to you before by using Dobber?.....
    Ummmm, no? I'm just allergic to generally random shit on the internet, especially completely unmotivated censorship. It's the censorship that rubs me the wrong way. People can trick each other all they want. I've asked for advice here plenty of times over the years, but then I always apply this thing called critical thinking after I get the advice. But no, never been fooled.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

They wouldnt... but then you come to a seperate forum seeking advice from other fantasy hockey guys and low and behold.. its the guy your trading with following you around, telling you exactly what he wants you to hear.

Patriot act? Wow... i think hit a nerve. This is fantasy hockey, its a fun league with a good group of guys. We dont want people in the league who are gonna sneak around and pull this kind of stuff. We arent running a country here, just a fantasy hockey league. Seems like a stretch to compare it to terrorism.
    Exactly, this is fantasy hockey, so why then do you have a need to do internet surveillance of your GMs? It's completely absurd. Do you log email conversations as well, just in case?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

HEHE, I saw the same thing... was hoping I could get the scoop but you beat me to it. Anyways, I have a hunch that GeorgeKarman, MylesJulien and FantasyGod are the same person. I think staj18 is not part of this 3-some.

Here is my analysis:
    - All 3 members have posts mainly in this thread (all have less than 5 posts to their account)
    - All 3 members joined in May 2013 (coincidentally after this thread was posted?)
    - All 3 members are 2 names beginning with a capital letter in each without any spaces GK, MJ, FG

I could probably dig a bit more but this smells fishier than a bass out of water!

EDIT: add JayIKing to the list...
    As someone who has had my own experience with fishy GMs/commishes (that also commented on my dobber threads with dubious advice but I knew who it was) it's pretty obvious the posts are eerily similar ....

What are the odds 3 different users post consecutively using the phrase "I say".

My advice is stick to (money) pools with ppl you know personally rather than strangers if that's the case. Less chance something shady happens hopefully.

Anyway it's a given in more serious leagues, other GMs more likely to lurk on your posts.
    Last edited by cdubb; May 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM.
    Semi-retired