Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Team Canada

Dobber Sports Master

I think Heatley's inclusion on the 2010 Olympic team pretty much nixes the notion of someone getting excluded for 'character issues'... hell it was only 7 months after he demanded his way out of Ottawa.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    I think Heatley's inclusion on the 2010 Olympic team pretty much nixes the notion of someone getting excluded for 'character issues'... hell it was only 7 months after he demanded his way out of Ottawa.
    Not to mention Bertuzzi's inclusion in 2006 after the Steve Moore stuff.

I just looked at the 06' roster, man that team was slow.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

subban isnt a lock. apart from the obvious attitude/maturity, the guy takes a lot of dumb penalties. and if things get heated (which they will), subban is the last guy i want on the ice. so easy to provoke and could easily cost canada a game.

dont get me wrong, i love subban's offensive aspect to the game, there are only a few guys who can transition the puck to the forwards better, but in no way is he a lock for canada.

also, i have a strange feeling seabrook doesnt make the team. if i recall they ended up benching him at times in favor of doughty last time.

and crosby is getting the C.
    Last edited by JagrBomb; May 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM. Reason: awful sentence

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    subban isnt a lock. apart from the obvious attitude/maturity, the guy takes a lot of dumb penalties. and if things get heated (which they will), subban is the last guy i want on the ice. so easy to provoke and could easily cost canada a game.

dont get me wrong, i love subban's offensive aspect to the game, there are only a few guys who can transition the puck to the forwards better, but no way he is not a lock for canada.

also, i have a strange feeling seabrook doesnt make the team. if i recall they ended up benching him at times in favor of doughty last time.

and crosby is getting the C.
    All good points.

About Seabrook, I do remember that now, Doughty basically passed him on the depth chart during the tourney. Also, if there is no Keith, does Seabrook have any chance of making it. Seems he gets selected because of chemistry with Keith. Will at least be an alternate (taxi squad).

Hmmmmmm, definitely food for though. Great post. Cheers.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    If you guys care, and debate it all you want or rip on my list but I did invite 32 forwards, 18 defence and 8 goalies to my "camp" and that is how I created the roster. I also know that those numbers are too high for a "camp" but it is the numbers I went with. Obviously not all these guys are going to be agreed on, in fact a few had very poor seasons but I sat down and decided on the amount I was going to invite and went from there, now with that said here they are:

Forwards:
    Ryan Getzlaf
    Corey Perry
    Jonathan Toews
    Patrick Sharp
    Matt Duchene
    Jamie Benn
    Jordan Eberle
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    Taylor Hall
    Jeff Carter
    Mike Richards
    Logan Couture
    Patrick Marleau
    Joe Thornton
    Patrice Bergeron
    Tyler Seguin
    Jeff Skinner
    Eric Staal
    Jordan Staal
    John Tavares
    Matt Moulson
    Brad Richards
    Rick Nash
    Jason Spezza
    Claude Giroux
    Sidney Crosby
    James Neal
    Jarome Iginla
    Steven Stamkos
    Martin St. Louis
    Evander Kane
    Andrew Ladd

Defence:
    Francois Beauchemin
    Duncan Keith
    Brent Seabrook
    Drew Doughty
    Shea Weber
    Dan Boyle
    Brent Burns
    Alex Pietrangelo
    Brian Campbell
    P.K. Subban
    Marc Staal
    Kris Letang
    Dion Phaneuf
    Mike Green
    Dan Hamhuis
    Dan Giardi

Goalies:
    Corey Crawford
    Mike Smith
    Roberto Luongo
    Cam Ward
    Carey Price
    Marc-Andre Fleury
    Martin Brodeur
    James Reimer

Now you can all criticize the list all you want but thats the list I made, the numbers are high but for this scenario it made the most sense to have a few extra names in my opinion.
    After attending the dodo spice camp, I'm pleased to announce your official (okay, not quite) Team Canada 2014.

Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
    Hall-Tavares-Giroux
    E.Staal-Toews-Nash
    M.Richards-Getzlaf-Perry
    Bergeron

Weber-Doughty
    Keith-Letang
    Pietrangelo-Subban
    Seabrook

Price
    Luongo
    Ward/Brodeur

2010, 2014, & 2024 WJC Pool Champion, 2020 Runner-Up

Banned

all I mean is, if Yzerman values two players the same (for example if he valued Subban and Beauch the same), then IMO he would go with the pro who is more deserving of a spot on the team, and a guy who has truly earned it on and off the ice. At the end of the day, Canada's team is stacked so even if they didn't go with who the best talent is at each spot, then they would still probably make the gold medal game or close to it.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    At the end of the day, Canada's team is stacked so even if they didn't go with who the best talent is at each spot, then they would still probably make the gold medal game or close to it.
    Just like 2006 when they took Draper!

Or Zamuner in 1998!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Olympics are just an All Star laden crapshoot anyways. But sure is fun to watch and the bragging rights for four years is always a bonus if your team wins.

Beauchemin is an above average defenseman who may not even start the regular season due to knee surgery.

I'd be absolutely floored if he was in the running for an Olympic team. Particularly over one of the best defenseman in the game right now in Subban.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The Olympics are just an All Star laden crapshoot anyways. But sure is fun to watch and the bragging rights for four years is always a bonus if your team wins.

Beauchemin is an above average defenseman who may not even start the regular season due to knee surgery.

I'd be absolutely floored if he was in the running for an Olympic team. Particularly over one of the best defenseman in the game right now in Subban.
    how much of that is markov though? subban is a great dman, but he's getting way too much credit. this isnt a fantasy roster, it's an nhl team. a guy that puts up 100 pims consistently sure will be valuable in russia...

Dobber Sports Wizard

how much of that is markov though? subban is a great dman, but he's getting way too much credit. this isnt a fantasy roster, it's an nhl team. a guy that puts up 100 pims consistently sure will be valuable in russia...
    I think it stems from the fact he had a solid offensive year, and played tough defensive minutes against the better lines from other teams.

It's a tough call.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Those who watch the Habs day in and day out would have to let me know how much of it is PK and how much of it is Markov. I don't honestly watch enough of the team to be able to know as well as others.

However, PIMs don't rule a player out from being effective internationally.

Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Brendan Morrow and Chris Pronger are all historically high penalty minute guys who played an effective role on a Gold medal winning team. Talent trumps concerns like that in most cases.

Now, I agree, PK is no lock. However, if he follows up this season with another like it next year - I think it will be REALLY difficult to make a case to leave him off the roster.

Dobber Sports Master

Are Markov and Subban even spending that much time together these days?

Markov was -9 on the year and PK was +12... looking at their GF/GA per 60 stats it seems like they aren't sharing a lot of shifts.
    /S

Victoria DH

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Are Markov and Subban even spending that much time together these days?

Markov was -9 on the year and PK was +12... looking at their GF/GA per 60 stats it seems like they aren't sharing a lot of shifts.
    who is PK's regular defence partner?

when i mentioned markov i was talking about the powerplay..26 out of subban's 38 points this season came from the PP...which means he had 12 even strength points all season...does he still sound like a lock?

so my question now is, who will be anchoring the two powerplay units?

letang will definitely be on the first one since you can assume crosby will be on it.

The Great One

Keith is my lock to be on the first PP....again, the only lefty.

Another topic; Crosby is captain.....right?

Dobber Sports Pro

who is PK's regular defence partner?

when i mentioned markov i was talking about the powerplay..26 out of subban's 38 points this season came from the PP...which means he had 12 even strength points all season...does he still sound like a lock?

so my question now is, who will be anchoring the two powerplay units?

letang will definitely be on the first one since you can assume crosby will be on it.
    Subban-Markov was, and by far, the best PP pairing in the league this year. It was not even close.

At even strenght, Subban lined up mostly with Francis Bouillon or Josh Gorges. He's obviously not the strongest in his own end but he has improved drastically over the last few years. He's still prone to a brain fart once in a while but he's very solid along the boards and nobody can take him off the puck when he has it on his stick.

As for his character, I won't defend him too much. He still is very emotional and can make stupid decisions (like his awful behaviour in game 3 against the Sens this year) but he's improved in that department as well. I seriously doubt he's a cancer in the room as all of his teammates have said he's way calmer than his previous years.

And anyway, it's not like including players like Carter and Richards hurt Canada in 2010. They were labeled as cancers in the locker room as well.

I don't think Subban is a lock to make the team in 2014 but I do believe he's a step forward everyone else after Weber/Doughty/Keith/Letang.