Thread: Cam Fowler

Banned

Default Cam Fowler

Sounds like this was a very good season in the development of Cam Fowler - bigger minutes, tougher competition - lot's of growth in rounding out his game. I was impressed with how Babcock used him in the playoffs, and how he responded against Detroit's best players...

BUT, WHERE ARE THE POINTS?

What type of production do expect from Fowler over the next couple of seasons?

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm sure they will be forced to use him more on the PP once Souray slows down, and he will start getting more minutes to justifiy his $4mil/yr salary. Maybe 30 pts next season if they use him a lot.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Expert

Donīt let his numbers fool you, Fowler will be a beast, just give him 2 more years.

Keep in mind that heīs only 21, the points will come. For me heīs a perfect buy low candidate.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Donīt let his numbers fool you, Fowler will be a beast, just give him 2 more years.

Keep in mind that heīs only 21, the points will come. For me heīs a perfect buy low candidate.
    I agree with this unless you are in a salary cap league where he is worthless.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Sounds like this was a very good season in the development of Cam Fowler - bigger minutes, tougher competition - lot's of growth in rounding out his game. I was impressed with how Babcock used him in the playoffs, and how he responded against Detroit's best players...

BUT, WHERE ARE THE POINTS?

What type of production do expect from Fowler over the next couple of seasons?

Boudreau is the coach of the Ducks, not Babcock.
    (Feels shitty to have somebody nitpicking your comments... doesn't it?)

Fowler is going to be a 30-35pt defensemen next year and maybe the one after that. The biggest problem is Sheldon Souray.

Souray has an absolute cannon for a shot.
    He has a LH shot. LH shooters typically play the right point on the PP.
    Fowler is also a LH stick.
    Roadblock.

So... it's sort of a roadblock for Fowler's point-production.
    Anaheim doesn't have a lot of offensive depth either... so Fowler's not going to rack up big even-strength totals.

When he hit 40pts as a rookie... 23PPP. 17 ESP.
    Then he went to 29pts in year 2... 11 of those were PPP. 18 ESP.

That PP time is signficant.
    Especially with ANA... he needs that golden PP1 time to come anywhere close to a 40pt production season.

There is a very fine line here.
    If Fowler is PP1 for a full season... 45pts is possible.
    If Fowler is PP2 for a full season... 25pts may be all he gets.

I'm not sure where Boudreau will use him.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    I agree with this unless you are in a salary cap league where he is worthless.
    Yeah, I "bought low" on him in a salary cap league earlier this season when his cap hit was still in the ELC range knowing that the hit was going up next year but figuring he could contribute to my playoff run on a cheap salary and that I'd then be able to move him. Wound up moving him recently for Bieksa, Joe Morrow, the 28th pick and the 81st pick. A pretty decent return considering.

I still see him as a good buy low even in salary cap leagues if you can really get him at low cost. He has to get 45 points a year to justify that salary though and he's not there yet but if you have time then sure, buy low.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm going to have to go the other way here I don't think Fowler is a very wise pick up! I feel that both Vantanen and Lindholm are better offensive prospects then him and Fowler will find himself on the outside looking when it comes to ANA PP. I see him becoming a shut down guy there. Just my thoughts.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Banned

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the feedback (especially the nitpicking).

Thing is, Fowler did lead all Ducks defencemen in PP time. They spread it around, so no one gets really big minutes, but Fowler was at the top of the food-chain... From my understanding, he was asked to play RD most of his career and at some point this season, Boudrerau switched him back to his left side and he really took off (his game, not his points)... He did, however, get his powerplay time on the left-side - mostly opposite Beauchemin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I'm going to have to go the other way here I don't think Fowler is a very wise pick up! I feel that both Vantanen and Lindholm are better offensive prospects then him and Fowler will find himself on the outside looking when it comes to ANA PP. I see him becoming a shut down guy there. Just my thoughts.
    Interesting post... though BUDREAU was raving about the growth in the defensive side of his game and how he could play against the best forwards in the league. He then backed it up by putting Fowler out against the best Wings in the playoffs. Funny, becasue his defense was the biggest hole in his game when drafted.

Dobber Sports Legend

Fowler is a great skater and puck distributor - I consider him a good "buy low" right now. That said, I see his points between 32-42 over the next couple of years and I'm curious to see how Vatanen and Lindholm effect his fantasy output long-term. Souray being the "go to guy" on the PP point doesn't help either.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka