View Poll Results: Who will win this 2nd round series?!

Voters
84. This poll is closed
  • Penguins in 4

2 2.38%
  • Penguins in 5

16 19.05%
  • Penguins in 6

25 29.76%
  • Penguins in 7

7 8.33%
  • Senators in 4

1 1.19%
  • Senators in 5

4 4.76%
  • Senators in 6

13 15.48%
  • Senators in 7

16 19.05%
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern Conference Semifinals: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Expert

Penguins in 3. ;-)

Time to show some play-off hockey.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I can't post too much from this phone so ill keep it short. The sens should have a substantial edge in physicality, espcially on the backend. If they take it to them physically they have every chance to win this series. Their centres aren't as good as pittsburghs but to say its a huge mismatch at all 4 spots is a bit much. They have the edge at F without a doubt, but Spezza, Turris, zibanejad, smith, and pageau is very solid centre depth even though 2 are rookies. And yes, spezza will be playing at some point.

Like the last series, I think the pens only have the edge at forward and on the pp. Sens have the edge at D, PK, speed, physicality, coaching, and most importantly, goaltending, by a wide margin. Ill get flack for this but the Sens would have challenged Pitt for the top spot in the East if they were full healthy.
    Alright let's settle down because the homerism is overflowing out of your pores here.

I don't think the Sens have an edge in "physicality" over the Pens at all, much less a "substantial advantage". The penguins are one of the most physical teams in the league, both in terms of their individual players as well as how Bylsma coaches them - this often gets overshadowed because their forwards are so talented.

I'm also unsure where you get the notion that the Sens have a coaching advantage... Bylsma is one of the best coaches (if not THE best) in the entire league.

The only area where the Sens have a clear advantage is goaltending in my view.

Having said that, goaltending can single-handedly turn an entire series upside down and Anderson has been playing unreal. Combine that with Spezza's inevitable return and the Sens are a very real threat.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Alright let's settle down because the homerism is overflowing out of your pores here.

I don't think the Sens have an edge in "physicality" over the Pens at all, much less a "substantial advantage". The penguins are one of the most physical teams in the league, both in terms of their individual players as well as how Bylsma coaches them - this often gets overshadowed because their forwards are so talented.

I'm also unsure where you get the notion that the Sens have a coaching advantage... Bylsma is one of the best coaches (if not THE best) in the entire league.

The only area where the Sens have a clear advantage is goaltending in my view.

Having said that, goaltending can single-handedly turn an entire series upside down and Anderson has been playing unreal. Combine that with Spezza's inevitable return and the Sens are a very real threat.
    Couldn't have said it any better blayze.. People are so blinded by the 1st round, they don't realize reality. Unfortunately, they will once the Pens win this in 5.. only edge Sens have is Anderson... WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L2TG View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better blayze.. People are so blinded by the 1st round, they don't realize reality. Unfortunately, they will once the Pens win this in 5.. only edge Sens have is Anderson... WAKE UP PEOPLE!
    Very ironic.

The Penguins are the obvious favourites but to suggest the only edge the Sens have is in nets is completely false. They have the obvious edge in penalty killing, as they have all year against every team. The Sens' puck possession and team speed is better than the Penguins. It cannot be argued that they aren't the faster team. NONE OF THIS MEANS THEY ARE THE BETTER TEAM, I'm just saying it's obvious they have the edge in some areas.

Replying to blayze, the Penguins will not be able match the physicality of the Sens in this series. Smith, Neil, Kassian line is more physical than any Penguins line, and the back-end with Methot, Phillips, Cowen, and Gryba is big and physical. The Penguins D is not close to the Sens Top 6. They have one #1 d-man, one #3, and the rest are bottom-pairing guys. The Sens have a huge edge on the back-end even if Karlsson isn't 100% which he is obviously not. I'd take Letang over Karlsson right now at his health, but every other matchup on the back-end goes to Ottawa for sure.

Ask most Pens fans their thoughts on Bylsma. The guy's five minutes were up three years ago. He is an average coach whose main gameplan has become just outscore the other team and don't worry about defense. Coaching in this series is at the minimum a tie, but I would take Paul MacLean and his staff over Bylsma's without thinking twice, and so would the majority of the league.

The Penguins are built on skills. If they try to out-hit the Sens and be more physical, they won't succeed. If they try to win low=scoring games, they won't succeed. Sens need to keep the games tight in order to win. Can't get into frewagon hockey against this team.

This has nothing to do with the first round. These two teams are very even outside of forwards and it will be a tight series. The Sens are a deep, speedy, physical, squad with world-class goaltending. These aren't the days of Brian Elliott and Pascal Leclaire.

No chance this series ends in less than 6 for any team. Call em homer all you want, but I've watched both these teams play a ton. I'm going to assume most people haven't seen the Sens outside of the first round.
    Last edited by Big Ev; May 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

I don't think you've seen the Penguins this year. They are not an overly physical team and they got out-forchecked HARD by the Isles. Bylsma is not close to being the best coach in the league. That is so 2009. But whatever, I can't judge coaching as I'm not in the room.

I can't wait for the Pesky Sens to prove the league wrong yet again.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Time to inject a little reality into the thread....

The Sens are a team that has accomplished way more than anyone ever thought they could.

The team never once gave up hope....They didn't move players at the expense of their determined drive to the playoffs. They make a hockey trade with an existing goalie to gain some forward depth and help for the future.

The Sens, IMO, do have the best coach in the entire league....Dan Bylsma isn't even close IMO. He has been coaching a fully stacked team for years....his biggest problem was when Crosby was injured and who to play with Malkin. MacLean took them to the playoffs when the Senators were told they were a lottery team last year, now he took them past round one with the most decimated regular season team in a long time....

I also think they have one of the best GM's in the entire league. But that's another tangent...

Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Dupuis, Iginla, Neal, Letang, Morrow....that's just the front line high end stars.....all great role players aside.

maybe 75% Spezza, 60% Karlsson, Anderson, aging Alfredson.....

And now they face those mighty Penguins, albeit with some of those guys trickling back into the lineup. I voted for the Senators because I am done underestimating them. I don't care if I am wrong, but I am picking the team that has earned every single point they had. And even some they didn't get. They deserved to beat the Canadiens, and if you think they didn't handle them easily, you are wrong.

The Senators survive in a market surrounded by the most prolific teams in hockey.....

On paper its a landslide victory for the Penguins, but that's exactly what motivates the Senators.....

So everyone can drop the 'I am scared to predict my team to win reverse psychology crap' that is being posted....and start saying it like it is. The Penguins should win, but the Senators have a chance.......

Adversity and determination goes a long ways...

......and the Senators have absolutely nothing to lose in this series.....
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Veteran

We're really not that good. I bet a midget team could beat us. Sens are totally going to blow us out.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Pro

Malkin had 11 points in 6 games. Good luck shutting him down when he is rolling, let alone Seņor Sid.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Malkin had 11 points in 6 games. Good luck shutting him down when he is rolling, let alone Seņor Sid.
    That was with Nabokov and the suspect Isles D.

The Sens big D need to be on him every time and shut him down. They know how to handle Ovie, so let's see what they do with Malkin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    We're really not that good. I bet a midget team could beat us. Sens are totally going to blow us out.
    **** you man, Sens are a one-man team and the Oilers could beat us.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Big Ev... you're living in LALA-land. We'll see if you're around this thread once the Sens are bounced. Hope you enjoyed the 1st round cause reality is about to hit.. really, really hard.

Trying to compare the Sens roster to the Pens is laughable... There isn't one player on the Sens that I'd want for the Pens active roster, other than obviously Karlsson. Turris, Smith, Zibanejad, Pageau... are you kidding me dude. The run is over and time for Sid, Malkin, Neal, Iggy to flex. We are comparing men with little kids... wake up! I just hope vegas has the same twisted perception as you do regarding this series, cause I will definitely dump at least 2K on Pens advancing with relative ease.
    Last edited by L2TG; May 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
    Time to inject a little reality into the thread....

The Sens are a team that has accomplished way more than anyone ever thought they could.

The team never once gave up hope....They didn't move players at the expense of their determined drive to the playoffs. They make a hockey trade with an existing goalie to gain some forward depth and help for the future.

The Sens, IMO, do have the best coach in the entire league....Dan Bylsma isn't even close IMO. He has been coaching a fully stacked team for years....his biggest problem was when Crosby was injured and who to play with Malkin. MacLean took them to the playoffs when the Senators were told they were a lottery team last year, now he took them past round one with the most decimated regular season team in a long time....

I also think they have one of the best GM's in the entire league. But that's another tangent...

Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Dupuis, Iginla, Neal, Letang, Morrow....that's just the front line high end stars.....all great role players aside.

maybe 75% Spezza, 60% Karlsson, Anderson, aging Alfredson.....

And now they face those mighty Penguins, albeit with some of those guys trickling back into the lineup. I voted for the Senators because I am done underestimating them. I don't care if I am wrong, but I am picking the team that has earned every single point they had. And even some they didn't get. They deserved to beat the Canadiens, and if you think they didn't handle them easily, you are wrong.

The Senators survive in a market surrounded by the most prolific teams in hockey.....

On paper its a landslide victory for the Penguins, but that's exactly what motivates the Senators.....

So everyone can drop the 'I am scared to predict my team to win reverse psychology crap' that is being posted....and start saying it like it is. The Penguins should win, but the Senators have a chance.......

Adversity and determination goes a long ways...

......and the Senators have absolutely nothing to lose in this series.....
    beauty post...

goin with my heart here Sens in 7
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L2TG View Post
    Big Ev... you're living in LALA-land. We'll see if you're around this thread once the Sens are bounced. Hope you enjoyed the 1st round cause reality is about to hit.. really, really hard.

Trying to compare the Sens roster to the Pens is laughable... There isn't one player on the Sens that I'd want for the Pens active roster, other than obviously Karlsson. Turris, Smith, Zibanejad, Pageau... are you kidding me dude. The run is over and time for Sid, Malkin, Neal, Iggy to flex. We are comparing men with little kids... wake up! I just hope vegas has the same twisted perception as you do regarding this series, cause I will definitely dump at least 2K on Pens advancing with relative ease.
    First of all, who are you?

Second of all, defence and goaltending win in the playoffs. Simple as that.

Wake up and see the Pens aren't as perfect as you think they are. You're telling me it's men vs boys, well it was also that against the Isles, and the Pens wouldn't have advanced if Nabokov played even above AHL level goaltending.

Banned

and for the 100th time, I have not once said the Sens will win this series. Not once. Nor will i ever.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    and for the 100th time, I have not once said the Sens will win this series. Not once. Nor will i ever.
    WOW BigEV you're a pretty lame Sens fan if you ask me.

I'll say it! Sens are going to win this series!
    Roto keep 8+1G

Start - 3RW/3LW/3C/4D/2G/1Utl

G,A,+|-,PIM,GWG,PPP,W,GAA,SV%,SO

League 1 (11 Teams) 10th yr

2017/2018 Roster

LW-Panarin/Galchenyuk/Roussel/Drouin
    C-Malkin/Zinanejad/Couturier/Brassard
    RW-Bratt/Oshie/Simmonds/Sheary
    D-Karlsson/Butcher/Fowler/Green
    G-Rask/Howard/Varlamov/Bernier
    (P)-Virtanen/O'Connor/Saros/Glass/White/Vesey