Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Canada's Goalie at the Olympics?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    You make it sound like Canada hasn't won a medal since 1950. Canada is 2/4 in the gold department since the NHLers inclusion which is double Sweden and the Czech's 1 each. If doing the same thing for Sochi gives Canada a 50% chance of capturing the gold I'd say don't change a thing.
    If it was just the Olympics, I agree (even though we finished 7th in Turin, 2006). I was talking more about international tournaments (World Championships, Juniors). Look at our performance in the last 5 World championships not held in Canada -

2013 @ Sweden & Finland - 5th
    2012 @ Sweden & Finland - 5th
    2011 @ Slovakia - 5th
    2010 @ Germany - 7th
    2009 @ Switzerland - Silver (Runner up)

For a hockey proud nation such as ours, I don't call that a lot of success.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post
    If it was just the Olympics, I agree (even though we finished 7th in Turin, 2006). I was talking more about international tournaments (World Championships, Juniors). Look at our performance in the last 5 World championships not held in Canada -

2011 @ Slovakia - 5th
    2010 @ Germany - 7th

Well this thread is about Team Canada at the Olympics next year. You suggested that we should put Crosby-Dupuis-Kunitz out because "why not try something different" indicating we hadn't had success in the past Olympic games. I agree the 4th and 7th place finishes were extremely disappointing but I'm not ready to alter the formula we've used to go 2/4 because of those poor showings.

Further, I put 0 stock in results at the World Championships as they are teams comprised of players who didn't make the NHL playoffs. It's always great to win sure but I'm not willing to downgrade Canada's place a top (in my mind) the hockey world because of poor showings at the World Championships.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post

2011 @ Slovakia - 5th
    2010 @ Germany - 7th

I think its a lot harder to manage.. Because there are either playoffs, or NHL games that are being played.

So I think it works out better in the World's because eliminated teams can send a lot of guys if they want to play [RNH, Eberle, Hall, Dubnyk]

So I think chemistry is there already.

Whereas the Olympics is the main show. And we get to ice the best possible team that we can.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ace

Point taken, guys - Olympics is the real deal.

I am just a trifle nervous, only because of recent results.

Hopefully, Steve Y and gang (Doug A, Ken Holland, Kevin Lowe) have a foolproof plan in place and the team (whoever it is) just executes, then all is well!!!
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    You make it sound like Canada hasn't won a medal since 1950. Canada is 2/4 in the gold department since the NHLers inclusion which is double Sweden and the Czech's 1 each. If doing the same thing for Sochi gives Canada a 50% chance of capturing the gold I'd say don't change a thing.
    This kind of herd canadian mentality is exactly the problem.

There are 2 things happening here:

1) is fact - the rest of the world is REALLY catching up and the skill gap is rapidly narrowing (if it even exists anymore).

2) is my opinion - the rest of the world gets "up" to play Canada and routinely outhustles and outplays us which more than offsets an actual skill gap, especially in single-game elimination. Similarly, to some extent Canada seems to play overconfident in these tournaments - and the real Team Canada often does not show up until we have ourselves in a 2 goal deficit in an elimination game and often by then it's too late.

This is probably because most Canadians share the exact point of view you are demonstrating above - "we are the best, we can field a 2nd team and still win gold, we shouldn't change a thing, etc. etc". That kind of mentality leads to complacency. We would do ourselves a huge favour by taking a more humble view, respecting that the world has in fact caught up, that we can't rest on our perceived "skill advantage" alone, and that we will have to match them in terms of desperation, intensity and heart to last through 4 elimination games.
    Last edited by blayze; May 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM.

Banned

well, truth is that the olympics aren't a very reflective indicator of what the talent "gap" is anyways...

if the olympics was run in a best of 7 elimination series like the stanley cup playoffs then luck becomes much less of a factor and I don't think you would see Canada making an early exits like what can happen in short 1-game showdowns.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    we can't rest on our perceived "skill advantage" alone, and that we will have to match them in terms of desperation, intensity and heart to last through 4 elimination games.
    I feel like Stevie Y has this in mind when he's picking the team.. In 2010 their biggest players we're the perry, getz grinder line, and a relatively young and inexperienced defencemen in Doughty..

IF I remember correctly, Crosby was pretty quiet, until he potted the 'golden goal'..

I think there is a ton of talent, and most of those players are big competitors in the big games, i.e., Giroux, Tavares, etc. I think getting good chemistry will be the biggest factor. Don't want individual efforts from everybody on a line..

And any Canadian fan will know better to be overtly confident after 2006!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Banned

question is why is Yzerman even the GM of this squad when he is not even an abover average NHL GM?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    This kind of herd canadian mentality is exactly the problem.

There are 2 things happening here:

1) is fact - the rest of the world is REALLY catching up and the skill gap is rapidly narrowing (if it even exists anymore).

2) is my opinion - the rest of the world gets "up" to play Canada and routinely outhustles and outplays us which more than offsets an actual skill gap, especially in single-game elimination. Similarly, to some extent Canada seems to play overconfident in these tournaments - and the real Team Canada often does not show up until we have ourselves in a 2 goal deficit in an elimination game and often by then it's too late.

This is probably because most Canadians share the exact point of view you are demonstrating above - "we are the best, we can field a 2nd team and still win gold, we shouldn't change a thing, etc. etc". That kind of mentality leads to complacency. We would do ourselves a huge favour by taking a more humble view, respecting that the world has in fact caught up, that we can't rest on our perceived "skill advantage" alone, and that we will have to match them in terms of desperation, intensity and heart to last through 4 elimination games.
    Not sure if you mis-understood me or if my post wasn't clear but I agree with most of what you're saying. I wasn't saying "We have 2 gold medals we're the bestest greatest country by a gazillion miles and we're going to walk into Sochi and get handed the gold again".

For clarification I was saying:

1. We should continue to use the approach we have making the best team possible, which is a mix of skilled players and role-players. We should NOT be thinking about sending a Crosby-Dupuis-Kunitz line as was suggested.
    2. Team Canada will be the favourite on paper but the edge they have is small.
    3. Paper doesn't really matter, the team needs to execute especially in the shortened tournament as the team that wins gold will win a minimum of 3 elimination games.
    4. Given the single elimination nature and the small edge Canada has winning gold 2/4 in the previous Olympics is pretty impressive, given this impressive track record we shouldn't be re-inventing the wheel on our selection strategy and process (which sending the Penguins line would be).

I also agree other countries "get up" to play Canada, that's pretty common in most sports, in Russia it will be even moreso as we're defending champions. The Russians should be "up" all tournament coming off a 7th place finish, and playing at home. You seem to indicate that an attitude of "we shouldn't change a thing" is incorrect. With respect to the process and general makeup of the teams we send I don't think we should change (anything again I'm extremely happy with 2/4). Hopefully that clarifies what I was saying.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    question is why is Yzerman even the GM of this squad when he is not even an abover average NHL GM?
    I dunno. Ask kevin Lowe.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a 2006 flop like Gretzky's 2nd time around.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    I feel like Stevie Y has this in mind when he's picking the team.. In 2010 their biggest players we're the perry, getz grinder line, and a relatively young and inexperienced defencemen in Doughty..

IF I remember correctly, Crosby was pretty quiet, until he potted the 'golden goal'..

I think there is a ton of talent, and most of those players are big competitors in the big games, i.e., Giroux, Tavares, etc. I think getting good chemistry will be the biggest factor. Don't want individual efforts from everybody on a line..

And any Canadian fan will know better to be overtly confident after 2006!
    Agreed. ANd Toews/Richards were both stellar too.

Dobber Sports Wizard

So after winning the Cup, Crawford must be a lock now for Sochi?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

1) Luongo
    2) Brodeur
    3) Crawford or Price

Luongo won gold last time around and he will start. But I don't think he will finish.

Dobber Sports Giant

I would probably guess ...

Canada:

1) Luongo
    2) Price
    3) Brodeur / Smith / Crawford ---- Marty is my best guess

USA:

1) Quick
    2) Howard
    3) Anderson
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin